I 551 Stamp question

Is the I-551 stamp valid for travel?

My wife passed interview and has finally received her passport with visa and packet, took 10 days and I had to leave China so now we are making arrangements for her to come here. Question is she will need to go back in about 2 months for a family function, just short trip and I worry she would not receive actual green card before she needs to travel back, hence the question about the stamp.

Yep.

I-551 = Green-card. It is proof of employment authorization and is also poof of green-card status alowing re-entries from abroad. Canada and Mexico also recognize it allowing visa free visiting of those nations.

Chinese exit control also recognize it.

Note, CR-1 and IR-1 visas have a notation at the bottom of the visa, so it is essentialy a green-card once stamped by the POE in the USA.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/userpics/99033/cr-1_a.jpg

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Is the I-551 stamp valid for travel?

My wife passed interview and has finally received her passport with visa and packet, took 10 days and I had to leave China so now we are making arrangements for her to come here. Question is she will need to go back in about 2 months for a family function, just short trip and I worry she would not receive actual green card before she needs to travel back, hence the question about the stamp.

With that stamp she's good to go. You'll find though that folks, at times, inside the US, will have no clue how to use the I-551 stamp as a valid Id. This was particularly true when Jingjing received her learner's permit and opened up a bank account. Stoopid da people! You might have to just arm wrestle with folks till yer blue in the face. Back to your original question - travel - no problems

Yep.

I-551 = Green-card. It is proof of employment authorization and is also poof of green-card status alowing re-entries from abroad. Canada and Mexico also recognize it allowing visa free visiting of those nations.

Chinese exit control also recognize it.

Note, CR-1 and IR-1 visas have a notation at the bottom of the visa, so it is essentialy a green-card once stamped by the POE in the USA.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/albums/userpics/99033/cr-1_a.jpg

Dan, uhh, brother, I'm not sure how to tell you this, but your wife kinda has a square head.

EDIT:

Wait a tick - Me thinks that's not your wife. However, because it's funny, and yes, I think it's funny so that's really the only thing that matters . . . . I'm leaving it.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

We received a 1 year extension of her CLPR status, and need to make an InfoPass appointment to get this included in her passport.

Keep in mind the only problems reported about the 1 year extension letter when removing conditions, is travel to China with it, sometimes exit control in China don't understand the letter, so in that case it is recommended to get a stamp in passport before travel with an expired 2 year card.