Outrageous job offer

My wife had a similar experience shortly after she got here to SLC and was waiting for her SSN.  This sleaze ball Chinese buffet owner wanted her to work for no salary.............. tips only :P

Tips can be good, if it is a good restaurant. In many places, the waitresses make more in tips than in salary (at least on weekends).

However, I have heard that the dishwashers don't make as much on tips as the waitresses :D

Keep in mind that the Chinese are brutal businsess people. I actually mean that as a compliment, but their ways are not ours. In China, they are so used to getting screwed that they have no problem trying to screw others (using our norms, that is) They'll lie, cheat, over-inflate prices, etc., to broker a good deal for themselves.

JM has become addicted to the local Chinese press here in Vegas. She has seen adds for incredible deals. I've tried to tell her that usually you get what you pay for. So far, I've been right. She's called many business only to find they were a sham. Not to say all Chinese practice this kind of business ethic. But, so far, that's been our experience.

There's a certain mistrust for them in business. Case in point: JM bought a nice electronic dictionary in SF. The woman was a great salesperson. JM used her Citibank Card to pay for it....it has her picture and signature incorporated into the card. The woman wanted a drivers license. JM said she didn't have one and produced her passport. The woman demanded the DL. I stepped in and said the woman's task was to ensure the ID of the card user. I figured she had more than ample evidence. She refused to complete the transaction without the DL so I had to use my card. Good thing I didn't leave the shop by saying, "Dude you suck." I think she could have kicked my a$$.

I was talking to my MM about this last night, When she told her sister I was going to try to live near a Chinese community her sis said no stay away from the Chinese here because they are this way with their own people, This surprised me to say the least cause every Chinese person I have ever met has been kind to me, I even see the Chinese people at work being nice to each other.

As an American, "All Chinese Look Alike"......

But, I am sure that there is a tremendous amount of ethnic and cultural variation. Meeting another Chinese person doesn't mean that they would share anything in common with your wife or fiancée.

Although it may be important to maintain ties with the old homeland, I think it is equally important to make new connections and join mainstream American culture.

Also, remember from earlier posts, there is a lot of controversy about Americans marrying Chinese. I am sure that some of this same sentiment would be found with the Chinese community in the USA..... And, if you convince your wife that all Chinese Restaurant Owners are crooks..... Well, maybe that is a good environment to steer clear of.

Hmmm,

I am thinking about my Italian experience, and I could imagine the similarities with China.

In Italy, all businesses had to give out receipts. So, a restaurant had to give out receipts to the customers for a meal. And, in theory, this was recorded somewhere in a permanent duplicate record. In theory, the police could ask for the receipts when the person left the restaurant, although I never saw that done.

However, if one customer managed to forget their receipt, then it was not uncommon for the restaurant to pick it up and try to give that same receipt to another customer. I could imagine how little tricks, and even more blatant tax evasion could be brought to the USA.

----- Clifford -----

Ya I thought this at first also but once you look at them there facial features do vary as much as an anglo persons :unsure:

Also, remember from earlier posts, there is a lot of controversy about Americans marrying Chinese.  I am sure that some of this same sentiment would be found with the Chinese community in the USA

Ya I remember this also but she also said that she would probably be treated better cause she was married to me, But no matter I dont live near a large Chinese population (over an hour drive) and the few I do know around me are nice people.

I laughed when I read this. I have a black friend who keeps telling me we (white-guys) all look alike :blush:. Last week, my fiancee's sister asked her if I have a "big nose" and if I did, how we kissed. Of course, rather than defend me, she said it works out just fine if she tilts her head a little to the side...

(In my defense, I always thought I had an "average" nose. Maybe someday I'll post a picture :P)

This surprised me to say the least cause every Chinese person I have ever met has been kind to me, I even see the Chinese people at work being nice to each other.

I have a deep suspicion that we have no idea how sophisticated their dealings are with each other. My wife will tell me what she really thinks after she has talked with somebody but at the time she is talking with another Chinese person I can sense NO indication that there is anything but the superficial pleasantness happening.

(In my defense, I always thought I had an "average" nose.  Maybe someday I'll post a picture :P)

Yeah, come on, let's see that Jimmy Durante schnozz!!!

If I hear "da bizi" i just say "I dont have a big nose, you have a small nose"... Then they are shocked that I understood there Chinese..... ;)

hey....it could be worse...."DaBizi" is better than what this one six year old student at our school always called me..."Da-Ponze!" which literally translates as "The big fat one!" ;) :D