Traveling to China

Hi Everyone!

My Wife is going to travel to Mainland China for Chinese New Years and stay for about 3 months. She already has her 2 year Green Card and this will be first time out of the States since getting it. My question is the airline agency that we buy our plane tickets say she needs to apply for Hong Kong Visa but do not need a Visa for Mainland because she is still a Citizen of China. Would that be correct?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Hi Everyone!

My Wife is going to travel to Mainland China for Chinese New Years and stay for about 3 months. She already has her 2 year Green Card and this will be first time out of the States since getting it. My question is the airline agency that we buy our plane tickets say she needs to apply for Hong Kong Visa but do not need a Visa for Mainland because she is still a Citizen of China. Would that be correct?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

No, that is wrong.

A Chinese citizen with US green card and airline tickets is allowed to transit through Hong Kong without a visa.

They are allowed to stay up to seven days each way.

I know this for a fact as my wife and I used Hong Kong as an entry point in 2007.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Two things,

No visa needed for HK if traveling on to the mainland in less than 7 days.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=CN&AR=US&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=CN&TR=HK&user=DL&subuser=DELTAB2C

Book airline tickets using name in passport.

Okay thanks guys for the clarification. So my wife's Chinese passport is in her maiden name and green card in married name. So do I book flight using name appearing on her chinese passport or greencard??

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Okay thanks guys for the clarification. So my wife's Chinese passport is in her maiden name and green card in married name. So do I book flight using name appearing on her chinese passport or greencard??

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

International travel REQUIRES Passport and tickets to match, "no match, no board plane".

Recent topic: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42707 (Cost this girl $100 to get tickets changed)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

My Wife will traveling to China next week. I got her round trip plane tickets for 3 months stay. Tickets are under her maiden name since her China passport reflects that. She will bring China passport, Green Card with married name on it, and Wedding Certificate just in case. She will have one stop at Detroit, MI. When she gets off the plane she'll have basicly 50 minutes til next flight. I'm just concerned that she can't find the next gate. I am going to write down some basic english questions and then have her write down chinese beside it just in case she needs to ask someone for help. It would be nice if she can get some Chinese assistance. I'm sure others have had this experience before. Any other suggestions for a smoothe travel?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

50 minutes is not much time. Can you find a map of the Detroit airport? On my last trip to China, I went through LAX for the first time. I found the LAX airport map, that showed all the gates, etc. That gave me good info for where I got off the plane and to the next departure.

The one time I flew to China via Detroit, the connection was in the McNamara Terminal.

Concourse A is 1 mile long, with a train that runs back and forth making 3 stops inside the terminal.

http://www.metroairport.com/images/3-23-10_Mac_Gate_Map_lg.gif

http://www.metroairport.com/pdf/maps/3-23-10_Mac_Terminal_Gate_Map.pdf

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Hey Everyone,

My Wife will traveling to China next week. I got her round trip plane tickets for 3 months stay. Tickets are under her maiden name since her China passport reflects that. She will bring China passport, Green Card with married name on it, and Wedding Certificate just in case. She will have one stop at Detroit, MI. When she gets off the plane she'll have basicly 50 minutes til next flight. I'm just concerned that she can't find the next gate. I am going to write down some basic english questions and then have her write down chinese beside it just in case she needs to ask someone for help. It would be nice if she can get some Chinese assistance. I'm sure others have had this experience before. Any other suggestions for a smoothe travel?

Thanks,

Vinny and Qing

Yes - my experience was that shey'll find plenty of Chinese people on the same route (especially once she gets to Detroit) and won't have any trouble. I had done the same things for my wife and son-in-law - I needn't have bothered.

Thanks Everyone! I'll print out that map and try to explain to her where everything is located. Yes I'm sure there will be lots of Chinese since most are going home for Chinese New Years. I'll be sure and have her ask for assistance.

Thanks

Vinny and Qing