Hello, myself and Lili communicate through email and Skype. Will China's crackdown on Skype users stop me from communicating through video chat?

Thanks.

Possibly, from what I understand they may be preventing use of the application within China, however this wont prevent a user in the US from using Skype to call numbers in China.

For video chat my Wife and I used Yahoo IM. This should continue to work.

Hello, myself and Lili communicate through email and Skype. Will China's crackdown on Skype users stop me from communicating through video chat?

Thanks.

Possibly, from what I understand they may be preventing use of the application within China, however this wont prevent a user in the US from using Skype to call numbers in China.

For video chat my Wife and I used Yahoo IM. This should continue to work.

It's doubtful that they could block any application from running, but they could conceivably block the VoIP protocols. They would run into the same difficulties blocking either incoming or outgoing calls, however. But the incoming (to China) calls require a switching station to connect to the public telephone lines. This might be the easiest to shut down.

I think Skype is great! I have only used it once in the US with the family and saw them use it a couple of times so I am not familiar with it a whole lot. But to me the obvious advantage over what we normally use (Yahoo Messenger) is the video window is much larger (better resolution) and virtually real-time and the audio is in sync and is very clear. Yahoo Messenger's video seems unstable and updates so slowly so you miss so many frames of video and there audio is awful...won't even begin to describle all the problems it has!

For someone who is trying to learn English through real-time conversation, Skype would be great...not so great with messenger. Apparently from what I know of about my wife's situation, there are virtually no English speaking groups in Nanning for which to engage in English conversation with. So even though she has a good grasp of reading and writing English, it is very difficult to speak English with her and you must talk very slowly...all understandable. Unfortunatly I have not yet had a chance to speak to my wife on Skype. I am going to ask her to download it and give it a try.

Yes...they all use QQ. QQ's farms blow away Facebooks! When my wife and her son go on QQ farms it is like they are playing a fast moving video game with great graphics! I would recommend QQ to be in sync with what they use.

Here is where I need help...I downloaded and used QQ long ago but was discouraged because even though I thought I downloaded the English version, too much of it was still in Chinese and that "counts me out" because I was lost in navigating it. Did I somehow download the "wrong English version?" Can anyone give me a current link to to the QQ we need and can should I re-register or can I transfer my old QQ login info?

If Skype is going to be a problem in the future, QQ is probably the best but I don't know if it's video/audio performance is nearly as good as Skype?

You know how we say that foreigners that come to the US should learn to speak English...well QQ is like the Chinese version of that line of thought. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"...when in China QQ!

As a matter of fact...I am her only contact in Yahoo Messenger. All her others are in QQ (Does "QQ" actually stand for something?)

You can download the full English version of QQ at http://www.imqq.com/. It's the same QQ, connects to all the QQ users, and you can probably use your same ID.

What I've learned is that from their high school years, they "know" English fairly well, but have been taught by (almost exclusively) Chinese teachers - the accent and grammar are poor, even among the best. For the most part, they are unable to listen to or speak with westerners beyond what I call "one sentence" English. You say something, they say something, then someone loses the train of thought. But their reading and writing ability is fairly good, and they can communicate with each other in English fairly well. This is more true for the most recent high school graduates, than for older people, and is improving noticeably from year to year.