marriagabilty affidavit

CAn i get a marriageabilty certificate here in the U.S. before i travel to China? or must it be obtained at the consulate in China?

The Chinese consulate in Houston (the one I am assigned to) had all the information I needed.

It DID have to be notorized by the Chinese consulate though if it was done in America.

CAn i get a marriageabilty certificate here in the U.S. before i travel to China? or must it be obtained at the consulate in China?

The Chinese consulate in Houston (the one I am assigned to) had all the information I needed.

It DID have to be notorized by the Chinese consulate though if it was done in America.

Si i guess i might as well plan to visit Guangzhou or Shanghi to receive my Marriageability affidavit?

Doing in the states is complicated, it involves geting a certificate from the secratary of state for your state, and then getting it certified by the Chinese consulate having jurisdiction over you residence in the states.

Much less complicated to simply visit a US Consulate in China and getting it done there.

Doing in the states is complicated, it involves geting a certificate from the secratary of state for your state, and then getting it certified by the Chinese consulate having jurisdiction over you residence in the states.

Much less complicated to simply visit a US Consulate in China and getting it done there.

I'm currently in the process of having this done stateside. If you elect to do it stateside, you have a statement stating your marital status notarized and you send that notarized statement to your state's Secretary of State office for a certificate. Then you send it to the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for your state. I wouldn't call this process complicated, but I will say it is time consuming. Furthermore, what others have posted is that if the original signature on the notarized affidavit is over 6 months old, local authorities will not accept it. I sent my affidavit to the SoS office for my state last week.

I found the process tough and confusing...until I realized what I was doing (after all was said and done).

It is really easy as mentioned above...is quick also.

Make your statement

notorize it

get the state secretary seal

get the China consulate seal

use prepaid envelopes....less than 1 month total

once the Chinese consulate seal is on it, that means anyone in Chinese government can accept it, which they will

:)

good luck in China!!!

I found the process tough and confusing...until I realized what I was doing (after all was said and done).

It is really easy as mentioned above...is quick also.

Make your statement

notorize it

get the state secretary seal

get the China consulate seal

use prepaid envelopes....less than 1 month total

once the Chinese consulate seal is on it, that means anyone in Chinese government can accept it, which they will

:)

good luck in China!!!

I went this route too. Once I had the Apostille from Texas' Secretary of State and the translation/certification of the consulate in Houston, acceptance by the Chinese authorities was no problem at all.