Would you recommend your attorney?

I would like to ask a few questions please.

1) I seen on a website that couples are getting their VISA in 6 months. I would llike to ask couples who have received or is waiting for their VISA : How long did it take to get their VISA, would they recommend their attorney to me to use, his/her name , telephone contact number. Was he easy to talk to, did he or she speak Chinese, did everything go fast and smooth?

2) Should the attorney be in China so my girlfriend can talk to the attorney in Chinese when asking questions on how to fill in the forms? My friend's wife said she asked some friends in China who knows English to help translate the forms for her. Perhaps my girlfriend needs to do that. I think they wanted to keep the long distance calls to a minimum. I think she said she only talked to their attorney once cause the atttorney was in the US.

3)Would anyone's fiancee/wife be available if my girlfriend wanted to ask questions about this process and it's forms? My girlfriend could call or email if the person was in China or email if out of China already. Just asking to see who's out there who can help her. Anyone can write me here or my email is " motosue@hawaii.rr.com " .

I had seen a couple of names on this website that was suggested. I printed them out one time but can't find it right now.

Thanks for your help.

Wilfred

A well educated petitioner can handle this by them self, In my case I studied the process and did the whole thing by self from filing K-1 petition all the way through removal of conditions in my wife's green card no lawyer involved.

If a lawyer claims that they can speed up the processing, they are lying, there is nothing that a lawyer can do to speed up the processing, and in some cases if not familiar with the differences for different countries can slow things down, for example not knowing about the electronic processing specific for China.

If you feel that there are red-flags in your case, then yes getting advice from a lawyer as to how to deal with the red-flags can help.

If considering a lawyer, then interview them and determine their knowledge of immigrations out of China.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=39

As for the paperwork, most is handled by petitioner in the USA, as for paperwork in China many on this board have used the Yangs for rooming in Guangzhou, and they know a lot about how to organize the paperwork. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=23

*Info below is under the context of you not having any specific complications in your case:

If you have an extra $2,000 or so and want a false sense of security then by all means hire a lawyer.

I hired a lawyer because the process seemed complicated and intimidating at first glance. I was thoroughly dissatisfied in every way. In short, a lawyer is not going to be more effective and efficient that you will be handling it on your own. Thankfully I found CFL late in the game and was able to find a mistake that my lawyer had made on some paperwork right before our interview that potentially could have got us a blue slip.

CFL is a much better resource than any lawyer is going to be under normal circumstances.

For help with your SO, I have read on here a couple times in the past that a couple people have hired a lawyer in China to help with their SO. If I recall correctly, it was relatively cheap and they were satisfied. Also, as mentioned above, the Yangs are a good resource if you choose to stay with them in Guangzhou.

As for your #3, I am sure many members and their wives here would be happy to help in any way when/if the time comes, mine included.

for example not knowing about the electronic processing specific for China.

Another example is not being familiar with the current USCIS practice of tying together I-130 and I-129F petitions when people file for spousal visas. I've seen some posts and some firm advertisements of people filing for a K3 which is nonexistent in practice now.

OP: Good luck on your visa journey, however you decide to proceed.

[

It is amazing to see the wealth of knowledge that this forum has .

If you care enough to share your circumstances , you will be surprise to see how knowledgable this forum is in telling you if there are major red flags .

Otherwise , procedure wise, any one who is keen enough to follow through step by step instructions should be able to do it on his/her own.

If you decide to hire a lawyer, browse through this forum and you will see some top notch attorney in US immigration laws with a lot of experience dealing with China consular practices. If you decide to hire someone , go with the best , not just anyone who knows how to file paper works that you can do them yourself.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your posts: dnoblett, smokiessky,bcco, Ryan H, bullmastiff. I appreciate all the information that you guys provided. I will read each post carefully and learn and make decisions from your advice.

Thanks , again.

Wilfred