What was your wife's first car?

Amaro

In less than a week my little honey bun with be here and we can rejoice together. So with that in the near future, she will need some transportation. I currently drive a coupe, so I don't have any room to lug anything around, not even a suitcase. So I was thinking about getting some type of crossover. I didn't want to get anything to big for her because of the obvious, bigger cars are harder to drive. I know I don't want to spend more than $10,000.

So what did you get for your wife as a first time driver? You can list the cars as well that she had starting from the first car to what she is currently driving. If you did get her some nice expensive car, did she damage it severely which made you wish you had bought her a beater to start of with?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of this is kind of funny. In the 10 years that my wife has been her she does not drive. She says she is smart enough to know when she is not good enough to do a task like driving.

This has been discussed many times here. Many Chinese ladies have had accidents within the first 2 year or so. In their defense some were not their fault. Having said that there is such a thing as defensive driving. Being able to avoid an accident too even if the potential accident is not going to be your fault if it happens. This is an integral part of being a good driver. The ole truck drivers here should know most about this.

Larry

In less than a week my little honey bun with be here and we can rejoice together. So with that in the near future, she will need some transportation. I currently drive a coupe, so I don't have any room to lug anything around, not even a suitcase. So I was thinking about getting some type of crossover. I didn't want to get anything to big for her because of the obvious, bigger cars are harder to drive. I know I don't want to spend more than $10,000.

So what did you get for your wife as a first time driver? You can list the cars as well that she had starting from the first car to what she is currently driving. If you did get her some nice expensive car, did she damage it severely which made you wish you had bought her a beater to start of with?

Buddy you are thinking long term, NY state will not issue a learners permit of driver's license without evidence of residency valid longer than 1 year, (Green-card or EAD card)

It took my wife 2 years and 6 road tests to get her license, and we did not bother applying for a L.P. until she had her green-card.

As for car, we bought a $1500 1996 Cavalier Wagon for the Auto trans. Since then in the 2 years of ownership, my wife has managed to bust a taillight, head lamp, and get a few dents in it, hence the $1500 beater mobile, best to get something to abuse as a first car.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Chevy_Cavalier_Wagon.jpg/800px-Chevy_Cavalier_Wagon.jpg

My wife had a driver's licence and drove in China before she came here. Over there she had one of those micro minivans you see so many of in China. For her first car here we bought her a 99 VW New Beetle. Small, easy to park and handled great. I think we gave 7 K for it. Back then she only needed a SS number to get a learner's permit. Now it's changed and they need proof of residency, ie green card.

Before my wife arrived, I bought a nice electric bicycle (800$), and enjoyed riding it around myself. It had 2 baskets that would hold 1 bag of groceries each, and would go 40 miles per charge.

When she first arrived, I bought her a gps that would fit in her purse, and set home for our house.

At first she said she didn't need the gps, and didn't know how to use it.. so it sat.

Then she started going out to the grocery store, and further and further away, and finally wanted to go somewhere she didn't know how to. Then the gps came back out, and she saw the usefulness.

We were CR/1 so she had her ss # and greencard within a month, and we started looking at driving.

She studied the book, and within 2 months had a learners permit.

We tried to practice in my vw, but it was a standard, and that was a failure.

We looked for cars, and ended up paying 12k for a cute vw convertible (automatic).

She really liked it, and passed her test in about 2 more months (mind you she drove me everywhere, if she was with me I didn't drive.. I aged about 10 years that month or 2).

She passed her test on the second attempt, and we still laugh about the first attempt... She accidently turned on the wipers, and didn't know how to turn them off.. It is funny now, it wasn't so funny then.

At any rate, 1 year later the transmission went out on that car, and would have cost 6,000 to fix.

We bought a new Honda civic for 12k, and she likes it.

I should note, my wife never drove before coming to America, and learning with language differences is way beyond challenging. She is now a GREAT driver, and in fact can parck the car in places I wont even attempt.

She has never had an accident.

I carried full coverage insurance for 2 years, but she still tells me I waste my money .. As usual she is right, but made me comfortable knowing anything she did would be covered.

Li was slow to get her license. We came back to the States in 2003, but she didn't get license until 2007. Her first car, which we still have, is a 2008 Chevy Cobalt sport coupe. We bought it new and it has been a great little car - peppy and handles great. She has had two mishaps, both times she was rear ended so not her fault. We also have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4, which I usually drive. Li, however, likes driving the Jeep as it sits up quite high and, as a tiny woman, she can see out of it very well.We also had two Mercury Sables at one time, a 96 and a 2003. The 96 was totaled when a woman hit me head on at 60 mph when she swerved to miss a deer. The 03 was traded for the Jeep. But as for Li, the Cobalt Coupe was and is her first car.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

I wonder - why do I even "Bite" on these questions that will obviously get me "bad press" here on the forum....but....I guess I will never learn.

My wife and I are here in China for 4-6 weeks - and we drive every day - in her very first car - a Nissan Teana V6 that is very nice. She is selling it this week as she thinks we will not return for at least two years until the "NEXT BABY" is at least 1 year old. She learned to drive in China - bought a brand new car and has never had a dent or scratch on it.

When we were close to getting the VISA, and living in China I asked her what car she wanted - she told me -- and I ordered it the way she wanted it and it is a monster. She has had no problems with it...except she couldn't pass her drivers test in hawaii in it. SHe claimed the tester was too comfortable and didn't want to pass her. (She tried once and didn't fasten her seat belt - auto failure - the second time didn't come to a full stop at a stop light - auto failure). I suggested she take the small SUV and she passed with no deductions! I think the large sedan is too big for her - and it takes her forever to get into tight parking spots in Hawaii.

So, my wife is a very good driver - but still does make mistakes. She has been lucky in that they have not cost her an accident or incident. I will say - in her large sedan I nicked the curb one night and had to spend $200.00 to fix the wheel - she didn't let me forget it! ALso - she is a terror with the Yukon Denali we have in the mountains - it resembles a CHinese Bus driver - I'm large - get out of my way!!!!

I suggested to a friend the other night, who is just ready to go for the interview at GUZ, to have his wife "Learn" here in China.....he said really.....so we turned to my wife and asked her....she said "NO NO learn in America they follow the rules and it's so much easier to drive!". Well there you have it.

(My view get a small, comfortable, dependable automatic car - probably from something like CARMAX - and let her learn ...don't take the chance with a large or expensive car - and in NY....I would probably let the car match the weather conditions...i.e. small SUV, depending upon where you live.)

Ok, that's my 2 mao worth --- I having done everything wrong and have survived it......let's see how many barb's I get from my even discussing "Cars"..which seem to be a big thing here!

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

Ford Contour.... 4 cylinder, very easy to drive (automatic, of course) small turning range, unfortunately, leaks like a sieve when it rains---- (and it rains a lot in western Oregon)... headlights and tail lights became aquariums until I drilled little holes at the base of the lens... hole to drain the trunk, and bubble wrap to keep the water out of the foot wells.....

Jiaying's first car in the US was a Toyota Yaris - which we bought when we found that used Corollas were almost the same price as new ones. Her first solo driving experience lasted all of 5 feet before she smacked the door into a basketball pole

She was an excellent driver after that, though - but I'm hoping she won't want to try in China.

She always giggles with joy when I show her picture a of the VW bug, so I think thats the car we are going to go with.

If you get a Beetle make sure it's one of the newer ones. Ours was a lemon. Seemed like it was in the shop every 3 months and everything costs more than other cars. When I noticed water in the oil we got rid of it. Cute car, fun to drive but cost too much to maintain.

My wife couldn't decide between a sedan and an SUV, so I ended up getting her a crossover as a compromise. It is a Toyota Venza and she really likes it a lot. She owned a Ford Focus in China and drove here in the US on her Chinese license until she received her green card after which she passed her driving & written exams on the first try. She hasn't put so much as a door ding in her new car and as adapted very well to driving in the US.

My wife isn't allowed to come to America.....but....if'n she were, I have a '52 Oldsmobile in a barn that she could drive.

It has a litle rust, but still has enough metal in it, plus with the big 400 pound bumbers, that it could easily roll on over anything she hit, or that made the mistake of hittin' her. :o I can see it now, lil' rabbit drives over some little economy car and I tell her, "It's okay you crazy lil' Chinertuckian woman, that was just a trash can you mowed down, turn up the AM radio, would ya?."

We'll see what Uncle Samuel sez. ;) Mebbe I need to clean the pigeon poop off that old batmobile, write "Brer Rabbit" on the drivers door in mailbox letters, and "tsap seui" on the passenger's door....you know, customize it and get it ready for her.

Keep on truckin' and keep yer wimmin safe, I always say. ;)

tsap seui

She always giggles with joy when I show her picture a of the VW bug, so I think thats the car we are going to go with.

DO NOT GET AN AUTOMATIC

I am telling you, everything I can find or read says at 80,000 miles you will buy a new transmission for $6,000.

My wife had a cute convertible, turbo charged, vw bug, and she loved it until it started breaking.

Now, she hates that car and wishes we had never wasted money on it.

She loves her new little Honda Civic.

We bought the beetle originally for 12,000 and felt lucky to sell it 1 year later for 6500.

What's wrong with the vw automatic is that it is made in 2 halves, aluminum machined together with no gasket.

The to halves are side by side, not top/bottom.

Over time the heat expands/contracts the transmission enough that it begins to leak between the halves.

The only solution then is a new transmission, and that cost $6,000.