China Eastern Airlines

Hi Guys, Has anyone on here flown from a city in China with a connecting flight in Shanghai PVG to New York JFK using China Eastern Airlines? I have flown in the past, on Air China, from Dalian DLC to Beijing PEK to New York JFK. I check my luggage in Dalian and retrieve it in New York. My wife and son are scheduled to fly China Eastern from Dalian to Shanghai to New York. Someone told her she will have to retrieve her luggage in Shanghai and go through international security to get on the second China Eastern flight. Anyone have any information on this? She is planning on bringing 4 large suitcases, a carry-on, and a 7 year old. Thanks, Jeff

When we flew China Eastern to Lijiang from Jiuzhaigou via Chengdu, I had to claim my luggage in Chengdu and recheck for the flight to Lijiang.

Same thing when we flew back to Beijing from Lijiang via Kunming. I had to claim luggage in Kunming and recheck it for the flight to Beijing.

We had to go through security for the second flight in both instances.

Since we did this for domestic flights, it's very likely (I would say 98% chance) your wife will have to claim her luggage in Shanghai, recheck it for the flight to JFK, and go through security for the JFK flight.

Edited by Ryan H (see edit history)

Well it looks like Dalian is a international airport, that being the case, she would go through immigration and they would stamp her out of the country. The only time I can imagine where she would need to recheck in is when she is flying out of a non-international airport and grabbing a connecting flight from a international airport. It could go two ways as well, since she is flying domestic, she probably wont go through immigration until she gets to shanghai.

But I wouldnt worry and I wouldnt rely on the answers from anyone on this board unless they flew that exact route. She could and should just ask the attendant at the Kiosk when she checks in. They speak mandarin, she should and could also ask the flight attendants when she lands in shanghai if she should go straight to her next connecting flight terminal or grab her bags and recheck in. Information changes all the time.

Thanks for your replies. I did not realize that China Eastern was a substandard airline. One of the main reasons I booked this flight, was so my wife would not have to worry about the luggage until she got to New York, where I will meet them and can help with the luggage. She did call the airline and they told her she would have to retrieve the luggage and go through international security. Now I know, I should have booked them on Asiana or Air China. Thanks again guys! Jeff

Make sure you explain to her about the carts in JFK that she will need to pay for them and she will need some American money to do this. She will have to get those 4 bags from baggage claim, through the Customs check and then out into the reception area where you meet her. Not a long distance at Terminal one, but 4 bags she will need a cart.

Make sure you explain to her about the carts in JFK that she will need to pay for them and she will need some American money to do this. She will have to get those 4 bags from baggage claim, through the Customs check and then out into the reception area where you meet her. Not a long distance at Terminal one, but 4 bags she will need a cart.

Yes, this has already been discussed. Normally I do not need a baggage cart, so I never paid attention to them, in the US. In China they are plentiful and free. I was very shocked this last trip home when I had to pay $5 to use a cart for all of about 100 yards, if that. Just long enough to take my bags from the carousel, though customs and drop the bags off at the transfer conveyor shortly after customs. I had a large suitcase for my wife and her laptop along with my normal suitcase, carry-on bag and laptop. You should have seen me trying to get on to the shuttle bus at the Shanghai Airport, fortunately a young Chinese man was kind enough to give me a hand with the one suitcase and even waited for me to grab a baggage cart at the other terminal. Thanks Jeff