Just Returned to China

Well we just returned to Xiamen for a month long visit or so...and it's been fun so far. It was the very first time we were able to fly to Taipei and then directly to Xiamen, avoiding an extra leg down to Hong Kong and then back up to Xiamen. This saved about 3-5 Hours on the trip depending on connections. That worked well except for getting in the wrong exit line in Taipei vice the second transfer station....lack of signage!

Well to the subject - we have been back 2 days - albeit we have slept most of it - son has a cold already - and of course I'm at fault for returning to China! But we've been out to eat twice now - and she started ordering less food and BEER! I complained but she said nothing (had family with us) until we arrived home. Then I got both barrels - PRICES are OUT OF SIGHT - veggies (spinach in garlic water) was 80 RMB for a large bowl --- Char Sui Zhou Rou - 90 RMB --- all prices more than the US. I explained there was no tax and SERVICE was included. Well that little bit of logic lasted about 2 seconds - and then she started in again about how the places have moved tables closer together to get more people in - and it' uncomfortable. I started to see the light..........I was was being beat up for bringing the family to China - and it was going to be a long month.

Ok, I asked after we shopped at our favorite grocer - how were the prices - and the Chaoshi....how were those prices.....most things up 20-25% she reported so I then tried the "well how much are wages up" strategy. Well that was reported by the cousins to be about 25% up in the last two years....ok I said prices are up about the same amount as wages. Of course....not in busy eateries where she thinks they are up as much as 50%. I explained supply and demand......that's when she explained how life was for a man.....when she speaks I listen....! OK, gosh and I only have 3 or 4 more weeks of this!!!!!! My fun meter is fully pegged and it has just started!

I have spent about 4 months trying to get her to schedule a 4 day side trip to her "home village" - so we could take the "entire family" to dinner - let the baby see his grandfather - show off the lao wei bao bei - but she has always said she didn't want to talk about it - it was too early to plan, and some of the relatives were fighting about some land distribution that my wife had already given more than 10 years ago (new road coming through village...money to be made in land grab by Gov't) . Ok, I declared that she was to make all the decisions while we were in China. Now we're here...... Cousin comes over - say's "hey are you taking all of us to Home Village - and taking entire family to dinner like last several years"? First thing out of her mouth..,,Yea we'll probably go right after the holiday! (At least I can understand enough Chinese to hear the conversation). I must not be cleared for "plans" although I have a Gov't TS Clearance - must be wrong Gov't!!!

Ok, enough of my complaining -- life is wonderful - local grocer downstairs brings me TsingTao , large bottles, by the case - and they are less than 1.5 Kuai per....life is good!

Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, Xiamen - MIKE

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

I'm getting beat to death here in China - and you guy's are worried about the beer? Since I had throat cancer 12 years ago....I can't drink anything but "water-beer" so I stick to Coors Light, Hefeweisen, or TsingTao.....NOT A REAL BEER AMONGST THEM!!!

I dont get it, you talk about buying million dollar houses and how your wife has 500k+ in savings but your crying over a 80 RMB meal? I guess thats how the rich get richer, just dont spend your money.

Your of course correct - a penny saved is a penny earned! Oh, and don't forget - a million dollars doesn't buy what it used to...

I have never met a wealthy person who got that way by being foolish with money. That being said the OP never said he was complaining about the prices in China. He was talking about his wife being dismayed about prices going up. This is fairly common for many Chinese women and I wouldn't expect it to change just because she married someone with some money.

I have never met a wealthy person who got that way by being foolish with money. That being said the OP never said he was complaining about the prices in China. He was talking about his wife being dismayed about prices going up. This is fairly common for many Chinese women and I wouldn't expect it to change just because she married someone with some money.

Thanks for the defense...I need it. Not only am I being beat up here in China - I get it from most of my friends here on CFL - my only source of understanding and nurturing - where am I to turn if I can't find Love on "Candle for Love"?

Thanks for the defense...I need it. Not only am I being beat up here in China - I get it from most of my friends here on CFL - my only source of understanding and nurturing - where am I to turn if I can't find Love on "Candle for Love"?

:lol: We all still love ya! :P

Folks have given you a lot of good advice here, but let's get right down to the nitty gritty of the situation.

You are STILL IN TRAINING! Therefore, no matter what you say, it's the wrong thing. No matter what you do, it's the wrong thing. For example:

She: You are falling out of love with me. You hardly ever tell me I am beautiful anymore.

Me: I love you more than ever. I will try to be more aware of my lack of complimenting your beauty.

She: OK

Then two days later:

Me: Wow! You really look great in the purple dress! You are without a doubt a beautiful woman. You look so delicious this morning I think I could eat you.

She: Are you saying I don't look delicious on other mornings?

Hopefully, you get the picture. Grin and bear it!

IMHO, Carl hit the nail on the head with his comment.

"This is fairly common for many Chinese women"

My wife is always very conscious of how much things cost. I have just grown to listen to how much "money finished" running the water too long, running the central heat and air at temperatures beyond her temperature, and even when bringing home fruit I get the "how much" question.

If it is something she needs or wants price is no subject, and often in this situation where there are 5 labels of the same product, the one that costs the most is the "best one," which the others will not substitute.

But, Mike, I think there is something other than the cost of items that may be happening. Possibly it is just nervousness of returning to China with family.

My wife gets worked up sometimes when we visit family in China since she is now married to the "Rich American." Often there have been times where family members confront her with the "could you help us out," or sometimes there is the needed "gift situation" for some family members. It does put a lot of pressure on her, and at times to the point she requests that I not visit where she fairs better alone. Then there is the whole "we get charged more because of me being American" scenario.

I usually take the sit back and have a beer, and play the "on her turf now, let her call the shots" routine.

Hard to tell sometimes what is going on in my wife¡¯s mind. I just go with the flow.

I hope your trip becomes less stressful.

Eric