A broken Heart in Zhengzhou

They are sending my CR-1 case back to the USCIS for possible revocation citing the non-bona fide relationship deal after the blue letter and subsequent submission. Not really sure why other than we didn't have an extremely long courtship - 8 months and 500 letters and daily chat sessions but I only went to China one time to get married and once again later after the interview went south.

Time off is limited at work and I had a few health problems.

They didn't believe my wife but if they only knew what an educated hard working women she was and the kind of heart she has they would feel different. She owns her own business in Zhengzhou. It is always busy. She paid for the film crew and complete wedding. I put money in her purse before I returned to Texas. She didn't ask for a cent.

They make a big deal about the language gap. I just got off the phone with her after twenty five mintes and only twice did we agree to write it in an e-mail because she wasn't sure I was saying about possibly hiring a new attorney so, really we communicate pretty good.

If they could see me serving her parents tea in the ceremony ....there ain't no faking that scene!! When I asked her father for her hand in marriage it was a trip.... I have pictures from that dinner too but we didn't send things like that because I thought they had enough already.

I don't know .... it's not over !!!! Tonight she was in much better spirits. As a business owner everybody knows her there and knows her business. They know she married an American and they know she hasn't gotten her Visa so five hundred times a day she has to talk about our failure so far...it's gotta be tough for her.

I posted a topic called Visa Officer makes mistake in Guangzhou the other day and much of my story is in the thread....Thank you for your interest.

For my wife, before we got married in China, we had filed a K-1 visa for her to come to the US as a Fiancee and get married here in the states. However due to circumstances with her family, we had to abandon her K-1 visa after it was issued and just let it sit and expire, because she had to stay with her family during their time of need. We later got married in China and we applied for the IR-1 visa, and was also issued the visa on the first try from Guangzhou. What I submitted with the applications provided substantial proof of a long and developed relationship with my wife. I believe this was the evidence that made it successful with obtaining the visa. I'll provide you with a run down of what we provided. I also visited China every year since first meeting my wife, some years I visited twice a year.

For the first K-1 visa, what I submitted:

A 10 page letter stating how we met, what my first feelings were for her and her for me. The stronger feelings we had for one another after our first meeting. It also stated in detail how I was thinking of her constantly on my mind and how we talked about having a family later after our marriage.

Three years of my individual tax returns, at the time of submitting the K-1 application, I had shown on my W-2, five times the income requirement for proverty levels, so I never needed a co-sponsor.

A detailed description of where we went on our first meeting, what was experienced together, documented by pictures, ticket stubs, mpeg videos taken with a digital camera burned on a VCD with us lovingly filming each other as we saw tourist spots together.

My wife and I are only 4 years apart in age, so that is good, the greater the age difference the more red flags it raises. With the evidence in the application, we had an easy approval. From the time of submission to approval of the K-1, it took only 6 months. I did not attend her interview in Guangzhou with her the first time, which I regretted after she described the anxiety she felt waiting, knowing that our future together is at stake.

With the K-1 approval behind us, we were ready to get married in the US, a family issue arised and she was not able to make use of travel before the K-1 expired. I contacted Guangzhou and asked if the visa could be extended, they replied that under certain circumstance, visa officers are able to extend the validity of the visa.

Two years later, this was the time it took for the family issues to be resolved, I made the decision to marry her in China and stay with her and her family. I've spent the next two years in China with her, now while I stayed in China before for a month or two at a time, three at the most per trip, staying long term was a challenge, I am an ABC, so my Chinese is very limited, in fact I could not speak Mandarin, my parents spoke Cantonese. So I had to learn the langauge and navigate the new culture, while the experience gave me a new language to add to my individuality, it was also very trying.

In 2006, we submitted the application for the IR-1 visa, on the second anniversay of our marriage in China. With that application the, I've included:

Three years of tax returns, from 2004 onward, I filed a Married filing joint return, I applied for an ITIN for my wife, as she was not able to get a SSN, until she arrived the US. This shows to the USCIS and Guangzhou a true and lasting relationship and will put any thoughts of a Non Bona Fide relationship to rest.

A joint savings account with both her name and my name on it.

Additional pictures of us and family together on various trips in China, pictures from her family and my family.

Another letter stating how our relationship grew over the years and how we got married and life together as a family.

Copies of my entire passports, the first one had been damaged, the spline binding came lose. This passport had 6 Chinese Visas and stamps from my trips to China to visit her.

My new passport had a couple of Chinese visas as well.

Copies of fund remittance forms, this shows that I was supporting her as my wife, when I was not in China with her.

Copies of credit cards with both our names on it, I got her added as additional user on my credit cards.

Copies of debit cards with both our names on it.

Selected about 50 most relevant emails that we sent each other that was related to how we would plan our life together, have children and the love for each other.

Copies of phone bills showing long distance calls to her.

Copies of receipts that showed that we bought "set watches" that shows a man's watch and woman's watch set.

Copy of her two diamond rings' receipts.

With all the information and support provided when I sent the IR-1 visa application in, I believe this made it an easy day for us at the Guangzhou interview. During her interview the Visa Officer did not ask her much only three questions and approved her visa.

I of course carried with me all the evidence with me, as I scanned them and emailed pdf versions to myself that I could access them anywhere, at the interview I provided her with my US Passport so that was presented to the Visa Officer as well to let them know I was supporting her and waiting for her downstairs on the fourth floor coffee shop.

When you get notice from the USCIS about your case, answer them and give them as much evidence as you can to show a true relationship as a husband and wife.

If you need any help or have questions about how we did things, contact me. I wish you all the best and good luck.

- Chris

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about your situation quite a bit and the more I think about it, the more upset I get. I have been a part of this forum since 2002 and I guess I should be used to people getting jacked around by GUZ by now, but I am not. It still irks me how arbitrary and unfair this whole process is. The waiting is interminable and then if there is a problem, it is a nightmare trying to find out what is going on, especially if the case gets returned to the States. I am truly sorry for what you are going through, not to mention your wife. Some have suggested that, if feasible, you might consider going to live in China while this whole mess gets resolved. For what it's worth, I lived in China five-plus years with my wife and it was a very positive experience, which gave me insight and understanding into her culture that has been invaluable over the course of our relationship. Only you, however, can make that decision. Your wife seems like a bright, creative woman and I am sure that once the smoke of disappointment clears a bit, you guys can beat this thing. Our prayers are with you.

I have thought about your situation quite a bit and the more I think about it, the more upset I get. I have been a part of this forum since 2002 and I guess I should be used to people getting jacked around by GUZ by now, but I am not. It still irks me how arbitrary and unfair this whole process is. The waiting is interminable and then if there is a problem, it is a nightmare trying to find out what is going on, especially if the case gets returned to the States. I am truly sorry for what you are going through, not to mention your wife. Some have suggested that, if feasible, you might consider going to live in China while this whole mess gets resolved. For what it's worth, I lived in China five-plus years with my wife and it was a very positive experience, which gave me insight and understanding into her culture that has been invaluable over the course of our relationship. Only you, however, can make that decision. Your wife seems like a bright, creative woman and I am sure that once the smoke of disappointment clears a bit, you guys can beat this thing. Our prayers are with you.

Thank you Mick, I have thought about moving to China but have obligations at this point but we will see if its neccesary first.

Yea, my wife is great. We were just so naive to the process good and bad, but she is already sounding like herself again I'm pleased to announce!!!

For my wife, before we got married in China, we had filed a K-1 visa for her to come to the US as a Fiancee and get married here in the states. However due to circumstances with her family, we had to abandon her K-1 visa after it was issued and just let it sit and expire, because she had to stay with her family during their time of need. We later got married in China and we applied for the IR-1 visa, and was also issued the visa on the first try from Guangzhou. What I submitted with the applications provided substantial proof of a long and developed relationship with my wife. I believe this was the evidence that made it successful with obtaining the visa. I'll provide you with a run down of what we provided. I also visited China every year since first meeting my wife, some years I visited twice a year.

For the first K-1 visa, what I submitted:

A 10 page letter stating how we met, what my first feelings were for her and her for me. The stronger feelings we had for one another after our first meeting. It also stated in detail how I was thinking of her constantly on my mind and how we talked about having a family later after our marriage.

Three years of my individual tax returns, at the time of submitting the K-1 application, I had shown on my W-2, five times the income requirement for proverty levels, so I never needed a co-sponsor.

A detailed description of where we went on our first meeting, what was experienced together, documented by pictures, ticket stubs, mpeg videos taken with a digital camera burned on a VCD with us lovingly filming each other as we saw tourist spots together.

My wife and I are only 4 years apart in age, so that is good, the greater the age difference the more red flags it raises. With the evidence in the application, we had an easy approval. From the time of submission to approval of the K-1, it took only 6 months. I did not attend her interview in Guangzhou with her the first time, which I regretted after she described the anxiety she felt waiting, knowing that our future together is at stake.

With the K-1 approval behind us, we were ready to get married in the US, a family issue arised and she was not able to make use of travel before the K-1 expired. I contacted Guangzhou and asked if the visa could be extended, they replied that under certain circumstance, visa officers are able to extend the validity of the visa.

Two years later, this was the time it took for the family issues to be resolved, I made the decision to marry her in China and stay with her and her family. I've spent the next two years in China with her, now while I stayed in China before for a month or two at a time, three at the most per trip, staying long term was a challenge, I am an ABC, so my Chinese is very limited, in fact I could not speak Mandarin, my parents spoke Cantonese. So I had to learn the langauge and navigate the new culture, while the experience gave me a new language to add to my individuality, it was also very trying.

In 2006, we submitted the application for the IR-1 visa, on the second anniversay of our marriage in China. With that application the, I've included:

Three years of tax returns, from 2004 onward, I filed a Married filing joint return, I applied for an ITIN for my wife, as she was not able to get a SSN, until she arrived the US. This shows to the USCIS and Guangzhou a true and lasting relationship and will put any thoughts of a Non Bona Fide relationship to rest.

A joint savings account with both her name and my name on it.

Additional pictures of us and family together on various trips in China, pictures from her family and my family.

Another letter stating how our relationship grew over the years and how we got married and life together as a family.

Copies of my entire passports, the first one had been damaged, the spline binding came lose. This passport had 6 Chinese Visas and stamps from my trips to China to visit her.

My new passport had a couple of Chinese visas as well.

Copies of fund remittance forms, this shows that I was supporting her as my wife, when I was not in China with her.

Copies of credit cards with both our names on it, I got her added as additional user on my credit cards.

Copies of debit cards with both our names on it.

Selected about 50 most relevant emails that we sent each other that was related to how we would plan our life together, have children and the love for each other.

Copies of phone bills showing long distance calls to her.

Copies of receipts that showed that we bought "set watches" that shows a man's watch and woman's watch set.

Copy of her two diamond rings' receipts.

With all the information and support provided when I sent the IR-1 visa application in, I believe this made it an easy day for us at the Guangzhou interview. During her interview the Visa Officer did not ask her much only three questions and approved her visa.

I of course carried with me all the evidence with me, as I scanned them and emailed pdf versions to myself that I could access them anywhere, at the interview I provided her with my US Passport so that was presented to the Visa Officer as well to let them know I was supporting her and waiting for her downstairs on the fourth floor coffee shop.

When you get notice from the USCIS about your case, answer them and give them as much evidence as you can to show a true relationship as a husband and wife.

If you need any help or have questions about how we did things, contact me. I wish you all the best and good luck.

- Chris

Thank you Chris!!! I appreciate all your interest !!! This is good stuff.

Dear husband

Your wife wants to avoid the sadness, so many days of my spirit in a state of collapse. I do not know what my future life is like, I check the site in many cases, this means as I ever refused. I know you're trying, but I think there will be no results.

I went into hiding these days, I do not want to see anyone I do not pick the phone, I want to own a few days of quietness, to consider our future life, I can not accept this reality, I'm afraid your efforts fail our result is the same, I think I can't do a second blow, I do not know. This wait is painful, is cruel.

You know? I have a hard life it? This year's wait can not imagine, you understand? I feel I have lost interest in life, I need a good adjustment to this coming out from the pain, I do not know I can do it?

Honey, I think you also need to consider our future life, if we fail the next time, how would you arrange your life where you need care for your health, but I can not help you, you need to consider the issue later.

I would like to hope nut, it is very small, do not have high expectations. I need quiet thinking for some time, I closed the shop, I can not achieve anything, I am tired.

I hope you forgive your wife, your wife still love you, I want you, I very much hope that you live with, really, think of our happy days together, really happy, but you have the U.S. visa officer let us, I do not understand, this is the very great importance to human rights and humane of the United States? I can not believe that there are so many illegal immigrants in the United States, why can not we have a real husband and wife together.

Love your beautiful wife Yan

Tonight she wrote.... I endeavor to adjust my attitude, so that I'm happy to wait, wait for our new life. That's more like my baby!!

Tonight she wrote.... I endeavor to adjust my attitude, so that I'm happy to wait, wait for our new life. That's more like my baby!!

That's the spirit. We all should have our time to grieve, but that doesn't mean we give up. You guys have a long road ahead of you but I said earlier, your relationship will grow beyond what you ever thought it could as you work together through this difficult time.

Good luck.

tsap seui

That's the spirit. We all should have our time to grieve, but that doesn't mean we give up. You guys have a long road ahead of you but I said earlier, your relationship will grow beyond what you ever thought it could as you work together through this difficult time.

Good luck.

tsap seui

Its all good, right? I know you're right. And, yes, thats more like it on her part. She watched a couple of friends just come right over and thought it wasn't going to be rough. We set ourselves up for disappointment but were feeling better as of now... for tonight anyway.

Thanks again TS

Concert you have had lots of good advice. And that reply from your wife is heartening.

My advice is this. What you are going through is a process. You can't push the time, as the inscrutable David Z, stated. So, even though it is late in the process explain this to the wife.

The process is one of convincing the DOS that your relationship is bonified. One of you has to speak the others language. That is not required by law, but to GZ it is a red flag. Everything else that you have listed looks pretty thorough. So, since this is so important, I would recommend getting an attorney (one on our board) to follow up with the refusal. Better safe than sorry at this point.

Tonight she wrote.... I endeavor to adjust my attitude, so that I'm happy to wait, wait for our new life.

That is a needed adjustment. I would only say that the USC needs to help the chinese spouse/fiancee (I avoided using 'SO' for mickey) understand the process is not about fairness and is at times not very forgiving; which requires more fortitude from the applicants.

Show her you are strong and she will be even stronger. And strong does not mean western style "I'll fight to the death" but can be a simple "I'll wait for you however long". This is not a macho game with GUZ since they don't care about such things. This is more a game of patience and long suffering at times with dignity.

I've told lulu it can take up to 5 years. One year or less is fast and welcomed but not an expectation. If we want a child we do it at any time and not let GUZ be a part of our own personal decisions about our life and family. We decide what we want to do and we do it. If there is some delay to be together then we deal with that at that time. But take a long term view and vision of this process and not rush the clock since time is essentially man made anyways... so don't fall prey to too many illusions.

If you believe in fate then don't let 'time' distract you... fate comes in it's own time.

We just belived were doing the right thing. I never set my wife up anymore than I was set up. I understand we have to work through this process. I beleive she watched other friends navigate the process much easier and thought it would be the same for us.

Some breeze right thru the process,and others don't........ to those just begining the process,let not your wife assume she will have it as easy as her friends who have gone thru the same visa process.

Some breeze right thru the process,and others don't........ to those just begining the process,let not your wife assume she will have it as easy as her friends who have gone thru the same visa process.

Oh, such true words!!!!!!!!!!!

She used translation software. But she is a bright girl. Yes, were good for twenty minutes of English over the phone. I'm sure most of the people on here have received the same letter a hundred times, just not me. There is no reason we should have been delayed in my oppinion other than we didn't make the courtship "appear" good enough to them. I understand that but where we gom from here is important. I really don't want to start another I-130 since it is being sent back for possible revocation. Of course we have more evidence but ut still has to go back to GZ and that my friend, scares me to death. I promise you, I see at least fifty illegals here every morning on my way to work at this point and I don't blame any of them for coming in that way. I paid the fees, got the lawyer, waited two years only to be toy'd with by the people I have paid to assist me.

"Got the Lawyer". A friend of mine was denied in Guz this week for the second time. He had hired "a" lawyer for the second Interview. Denied again for "low income". First Interview was denied for very few documents. I had suggested to him that he hire a lawyer with very much experience with Guz, and not just any immigration lawyer. Last week at Guz, a lady went into the Interview with a very small folder of documents, came out with a big smile and a pink slip. She stated something like her husband was either related to or had good connections in government. This is our second try at Guz. If we are denied this time, I will sell one of my old cars, and hire Marc Ellis, or some one with his expertise. Best of Luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bob..

Edited by Highlander10 (see edit history)

"Got the Lawyer". A friend of mine was denied in Guz this week for the second time. He had hired "a" lawyer for the second Interview. Denied again for "low income". First Interview was denied for very few documents. I had suggested to him that he hire a lawyer with very much experience with Guz, and not just any immigration lawyer. Last week at Guz, a lady went into the Interview with a very small folder of documents, came out with a big smile and a pink slip. She stated something like her husband was either related to or had good connections in government. This is our second try at Guz. If we are denied this time, I will sell one of my old cars, and hire Marc Ellis, or some one with his expertise. Best of Luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bob..

I plan to pick Marc's brain for a short bit and keep my attorney... He must be very busy.

I respect that lady in GZ. I wish I knew her....haha

Thanks Bob...I'm Terry

That is so good to hear! Hang in there, both you and your wife will begin that next chapter in life, and it will be worth all the time and effort leading up to it. Suffer through your disappointments together and use them to make you stronger and more determined. I am glad to know your wife is feeling better. Good luck, and press forward!

That is so good to hear! Hang in there, both you and your wife will begin that next chapter in life, and it will be worth all the time and effort leading up to it. Suffer through your disappointments together and use them to make you stronger and more determined. I am glad to know your wife is feeling better. Good luck, and press forward!

Thank you Tom!! We will fight until they're tired of seeing our case. I hope others can gain from our situation. That is my intention with these postings. The encouragment means a lot from others who have or / are fighting the same battles. I appreciate the kindness.

Edited by concert500 (see edit history)