Health Insurance for SO

Is a social security number needed for health insurance. In order to list my wife under my plan, the insurance company is asking for her SS#.

SSN should NOT be required to add a spouse to your medical insurance, medical insurance is NOT a social security benefit.

Is a social security number always required to obtain health insurance?

No. Find the company you want coverage from and then see what they will do. Recent legislation prohibits Insurance Companies from using your Social Security # in your ID card.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_social_security_number_always_required_to_obtain_health_insurance

SSN should NOT be required to add a spouse to your medical insurance, medical insurance is NOT a social security benefit.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_social_security_number_always_required_to_obtain_health_insurance

I believe that answer is partly correct, the Ins. co. can not use your social security number on your insurance card, but need your social security number to link you to the policy through the number on the ins. card. Especially for a spouse, if the policy is not in their name.

There is a difference between asking for a SSN and requiring one. It may be that the company uses SSN, as has been suggested, for identification; they should not have to do that, but maybe their computer programs require it. Still, I wouldn't give up on this; if you tell them she doesn't have one, it seems to me they either have to tell you they can't insure your spouse or they have to give you another way to identify her.

I bought BCBS health insurance for my wife....they wanted her A# and SS number....at that time she didn't have either. But they processed her and she got the policy and also w/o having to take a physical. A month later I spoke with the agent and asked if they needed her numbers and was told, nawh.