Shanghai Bound

Well, today I returned my contract for a teaching position in China. I signed on with an international school. They offered a pretty good salary and benefit package (tax free to me), so I thought what the heck: a free trip to China, a great job, learn to speak Chinese, and check out the pretty ladies while I'm there. How could I resist. I'll be headed over there next week.

Big city, China's money center. Lots to do and see there if you can afford it. And that learning Chinese thing? The have their own dialect.

Yes - I can't learn Chinese around here - nobody speaks it. I have picked up a couple of words - Maosi (for bu shi), and Mikou (for Meiguo).

Seriously, at the school, you'll be expected to speak English. I hope you can pick up their accent better than I have.

Welcome aboard!

Wow, that is amazing! I don't recall you discussing that you were thinking about this. Did you get the job on your own or did somebody you know help you?

I have been thinking about this for years, but now I'm so old I am not qualified any more for teaching kids because the cutoff is 55, or 50 in some places. How old are you, Stepbrow?

When I was thinking about getting an online TEFL certificate and going over there I called up Larry (Chengdu4me) and he told me if I did go to China that I would need to have several thousand dollars in my pocket for flexibility in case things went bad with the job. That advice set back my thinking a great deal.

I am only interested in northeast China and don't know of any CFL guys who are there.

Please tell more about your plans and the steps leading up to this!

Thats so neat man. Theres times I wish I didnt get involved in so much debt or have an agenda of things that I need to do while im young in america and just go straight to a foreign country and teach english. Right now, im trying to get this college stuff done and try to get a job working for the u.s government in japan. I want to go back to Japan so much, defnitely my favorite place in the world. Cheers to you for living life on the edge!

Well, today I returned my contract for a teaching position in China. I signed on with an international school. They offered a pretty good salary and benefit package (tax free to me), so I thought what the heck: a free trip to China, a great job, learn to speak Chinese, and check out the pretty ladies while I'm there. How could I resist. I'll be headed over there next week.

You've been through a lot ol' buddy. Great to hear this news, and best wishes for your future. ;)

tsap seui

Thanks guys. Yes it is a big new adventure, but I have felt that I have been stuck in a rut, so now I am moving on to new things.

Don, after all of my Mandarin studies, now I have to learn Shanghainese :lol:

Randy, I will be PM'ing you when I get in trouble.

Robert, Actually I am older than 55. I have a teaching credential from California.The teaching position is with an international school so the age thing doesn't apply. With international schools only expat children can attend, no Chinese citizens' children are allowed. The curriculum is California based so I am familiar with it. The pay is actually better than I would be making teaching in the US, plus there is also the travel allowance, moving allowance, housing , utility allowance, retirement, health care, etc. etc. If you are thinking of teaching in an English language school, I would heed Larry's advice.

Business has been slow, so a in March I started doing some research. I started with the DOS website. They have a list of International Schools. Then I did some research for International Schools on Wikipedia. After that I started sending out resumes to schools that were seeking teachers on their website

Amaro, just stay with your plan. Get your education. Look for opportunities, and be flexible with your goals.

Tsap, and the rest of you guys, thanks.

Sounds like you have a real good deal going on.

I taught some expat children, they can be trying.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you want. I taught

every level, except high school, for over three years

there and came up with a few good ideas, itineraries, etc.

Again, enjoy!

Oh, be glad you're not learning Fuzhou hua.

Now that's a tough one! :blink: :lol:

Edited by slw268 (see edit history)

Good luck there... Make sure you check out the World Expo. The US pavilion is okay, and the line stretches forever but moves fairly fast comparatively. Wait until about 8pm and then wait for 30minutes to see the 10 minute show in Australia's pavilion--that's worth a good watch. I heard a guy in the line for England talking about the 6 hour line for Japan. He said it was well worth the wait, but I never had a chance to go myself.

Update:

Today is my last day at work. I am picking up my visa tomorrow. My flight is for the 4th, and will be arriving in Shanghai on the 5th. The school will have someone to pick me up and take me to my apartment :o . After a good sleep, I will go check in with the school. Later I will catch a cab to the nearest Wal-Mart and pick up necessary household items. Maybe I will go dancing Saturday night at the Paramount Ballroom B)