What I want to do is plan a trip to Parris Island and travel a route that is:

Neat places to see

Visit Independent Bookstores

Scenic wonderland

Visit, meet, embrace Charles :o

Ay Yo! :lol:

What state are you coming from?

PA

Scenic wonderland? Doesn't get any better than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Check it out!! ;)

Chawls is right about the Blue Ridge Parkway. My first wifey and I once went down Skyline drive in Virginia and rode our chopper down to the Parkway....incredible views of the mountains.

Another nice hike, and one very easy for you is route 81. We did that ride a couple of times. It too has beautiful views, the speed limit is up as it's a dual lane highway....you might get tired of poking along at 35 and 35mph on the Parkway :o You can always cut across from any of those roads to head east...

Heck, I gotta run now, I'll post you a scenic trip down 81 to just before knoxville, Tennessee and bring you back over the Smokies to Charlotte, NC where you can pick up 85 to head down to Hotlanta and Chawls waiting hospitality. :) Beautiful mtns, and clear sailing.

Oat Willie

If the path has beautiful mountain views, my oat cart has probably been on it :P

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Scenic wonderland? Doesn't get any better than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Check it out!! :lol:

Chawls is right about the Blue Ridge Parkway. My first wifey and I once went down Skyline drive in Virginia and rode our chopper down to the Parkway....incredible views of the mountains.

Another nice hike, and one very easy for you is route 81. We did that ride a couple of times. It too has beautiful views, the speed limit is up as it's a dual lane highway....you might get tired of poking along at 35 and 35mph on the Parkway <_< You can always cut across from any of those roads to head east...

Heck, I gotta run now, I'll post you a scenic trip down 81 to just before knoxville, Tennessee and bring you back over the Smokies to Charlotte, NC where you can pick up 85 to head down to Hotlanta and Chawls waiting hospitality. :roller: Beautiful mtns, and clear sailing.

Oat Willie

If the path has beautiful mountain views, my oat cart has probably been on it :lol:

Steve, I am a couple of hours west of you on the PA turnpike in Bedford, Pa. That's why I never stopped by to see you when I went to Ohio last week. :rotfl:

Anyhow, having lived and ridden my motorcycles since 1964 from just east of the Frederick, Maryland area I have used many trails that lead south.

As I recall you are in Harrisburg so you have route 81 right there by you.

Just a suggestion....take route 81...you will pass Hagerstown, Md, on down to Martinsburg, WVA and once past Martinsburg the mountains will loom up for you down around Winchester, Va. From there on it is all beautiful country...down past Harrisonburg, Va, Roanoke, Va, etc....81 is really pretty once as you get farther into southwest Va....and you can travel at 65-70mph. There are hundreds of little towns to stop and shop in, etc., and you will have the Applachianountains on your left all the way down in southern Va.

jUST SOUTH OF Pulaski, Va you could decide to pick up route 77 which cuts due south into NC and Charlotte....if you aren't tired of the mountains, I'd say go on down 81 until just a few miles before Knoxville, Tennessee and pick uproute 40 which will border on the Great Smokie Mountain National forest (really nice, especially on a HArley with your face in the wind). Take route 40 over to Asheville, NC.....see the Biltmore Hotel if you care to, you will be high up in the mountains and the Biltmore is pretty darn impressive.

At Asheville take route 26 which will become route74 and that will run you right into Charlotte, NC (where I was born and all of my relatives lived). From Charlotte you get onto route 85 and Hotlanta is a few hours down the trail. Route 74 past Charlotte will also take you to the beaches of North and South Carolina, crossing I-95 as it takes you east.

Have a happy trip....give Chawls a rebel yell for me, and PLEASE...soundly thump that kickass Jarhead, John, on the back for me and yell OOH RAAAH to him from a former Army chopper pilot.

You would not believe the number of Marine Vietnam vets who came up to me when I was in those two PTSD wards last year, got choked up, and thanked me for getting them out of bad situations. I asked them what do you mean, I was Army? They said the Army chopper pilots would fly in bad weather when the Marines grounded their choppers....so they would look for help from the crazy Army pilots....go figure, eh? <_< Hell, wounded is wounded, weather be damned...or how many Charlies are on the ground shooting at you...the mission statement of the medivac is "So That Others May Live."

I am very proud of John and happy for you.

tsap seui

On a side note...I have spent many years in anguish over the grunts who died on my chopper as I tried in vain to get them out of a hellhole and to safety...the VA shrinks can't seem to shake me of that thought and the turbulent nightmares of what goes on inside a combat medivac chopper mission...they were precious, and I weep as I remember everyone of them. I volunteered and signed up to bring them home as my only goal in that stupid war. My prayer is that John and his fellow mates never have to ride in a Blackhawk.

Scenic wonderland? Doesn't get any better than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Check it out!! ;)

Another nice hike, and one very easy for you is route 81. We did that ride a couple of times. It too has beautiful views, the speed limit is up as it's a dual lane highway....you might get tired of poking along at 35 and 35mph on the Parkway :lol: You can always cut across from any of those roads to head east...

Heck, I gotta run now, I'll post you a scenic trip down 81 to just before knoxville, Tennessee and bring you back over the Smokies to Charlotte, NC where you can pick up 85 to head down to Hotlanta and Chawls waiting hospitality. :P Beautiful mtns, and clear sailing.

Oat Willie

If the path has beautiful mountain views, my oat cart has probably been on it :P

Steve, I am a couple of hours west of you on the PA turnpike in Bedford, Pa. That's why I never stopped by to see you when I went to Ohio last week. :)

Anyhow, having lived and ridden my motorcycles since 1964 from just east of the Frederick, Maryland area I have used many trails that lead south.

As I recall you are in Harrisburg so you have route 81 right there by you.

Just a suggestion....take route 81...you will pass Hagerstown, Md, on down to Martinsburg, WVA and once past Martinsburg the mountains will loom up for you down around Winchester, Va. From there on it is all beautiful country...down past Harrisonburg, Va, Roanoke, Va, etc....81 is really pretty once as you get farther into southwest Va....and you can travel at 65-70mph. There are hundreds of little towns to stop and shop in, etc., and you will have the Applachianountains on your left all the way down in southern Va.

jUST SOUTH OF Pulaski, Va you could decide to pick up route 77 which cuts due south into NC and Charlotte....if you aren't tired of the mountains, I'd say go on down 81 until just a few miles before Knoxville, Tennessee and pick uproute 40 which will border on the Great Smokie Mountain National forest (really nice, especially on a HArley with your face in the wind). Take route 40 over to Asheville, NC.....see the Biltmore Hotel if you care to, you will be high up in the mountains and the Biltmore is pretty darn impressive.

At Asheville take route 26 which will become route74 and that will run you right into Charlotte, NC (where I was born and all of my relatives lived). From Charlotte you get onto route 85 and Hotlanta is a few hours down the trail. Route 74 past Charlotte will also take you to the beaches of North and South Carolina, crossing I-95 as it takes you east.

Have a happy trip....give Chawls a rebel yell for me, and PLEASE...soundly thump that kickass Jarhead, John, on the back for me and yell OOH RAAAH to him from a former Army chopper pilot.

You would not believe the number of Marine Vietnam vets who came up to me when I was in those two PTSD wards last year, got choked up, and thanked me for getting them out of bad situations. I asked them what do you mean, I was Army? They said the Army chopper pilots would fly in bad weather when the Marines grounded their choppers....so they would look for help from the crazy Army pilots....go figure, eh? :( Hell, wounded is wounded, weather be damned...or how many Charlies are on the ground shooting at you...the mission statement of the medivac is "So That Others May Live."

I am very proud of John and happy for you.

tsap seui

On a side note...I have spent many years in anguish over the grunts who died on my chopper as I tried in vain to get them out of a hellhole and to safety...the VA shrinks can't seem to shake me of that thought and the turbulent nightmares of what goes on inside a combat medivac chopper mission...they were precious, and I weep as I remember everyone of them. I volunteered and signed up to bring them home as my only goal in that stupid war. My prayer is that John and his fellow mates never have to ride in a Blackhawk.

Thanks for the ideas Tsap.

Many members here don't know me from before my sabbatical.

But you do and you continue to be there for me. Why?

Cause you know.

Anyway, thanks for your pride in my son and thanks for your service.

Love ya,

Steve

Thanks for the ideas Tsap.

Many members here don't know me from before my sabbatical.

But you do and you continue to be there for me. Why?

Cause you know.

Anyway, thanks for your pride in my son and thanks for your service.

Love ya,

Steve

Well....ya know Steve there are some of us on here that lived through your troubles, Ying's cancer, her interrogations and while CFL is our family, we find ourselves closer to some...we have had to find out what the REAL wait is on a visa.

I applaud everyone that gets the visa and share in their happiness, but the day you guys got yours, and the day Chawls and Jane of the Jungle got their visa were two very very happy days for me....as it has been for me when I saw a few others who went through the delays and waiting with no idea if they would ever get a visa and who still post on Candle today.

Sadly, my PM box is pretty full of folks who are still waiting and trying. These folks don't post but they lurk, study, and hope. It is sad that I can't really help them much other than tell them the truth is, they are gonna have to wait and wait and wait....

I remember PMing you while you guys were going through hell....I don't know....some of us just grow closer through the sharing the hurt and pain of this damned process...and we all had our ducks in a row just like the ones who easily got the visa.

You have a good trip, I tried to lay out a plan that helps you to avoid the godawful mess of the Washington Beltway and would help you make good time through some awesome country views...that is the America I love. I lived in the DC area for many years, made some good money out of that area, but it ain't what living is all about, at least to me.

Next year I may pull this off and get lil' rabbit and Bubba, J.R. over here...we'll get together and laugh at the whole thing, share our R.Crumb mags and yuk it up with no end.

tsap seui

I ain't never been the tourist type but since you will be so close, Charleston, SC might be of interest to you. There is A LOT of history there and a lot to see. I spent a couple of days there as a so-called tourist and I had an awesome time. It takes at least 4 days to see everything but a couple of days will be good. Well worth the time.

Of course it will be hottern hades there and I am sure John has told you this. So make sure Ying has her umbrella cause the sun is relentless and sometimes overbearing.

Once you are in SC then turn on the radio and there will be plenty of beach music to help guide you through. ;) Which reminds me, the first time I went to Charleston I played a gig with Eddie Floyd. Remember "Knock On Wood"? I'll tell ya more about Eddie when you get here. :whistling: You can probably relate. :P

Be sure and bring your guitar so we can impress the wimmens with our jams. :whistling:

Lookin forward to it bro!!

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

I ain't never been the tourist type but since you will be so close, Charleston, SC might be of interest to you. There is A LOT of history there and a lot to see. I spent a couple of days there as a so-called tourist and I had an awesome time. It takes at least 4 days to see everything but a couple of days will be good. Well worth the time.

Of course it will be hottern hades there and I am sure John has told you this. So make sure Ying has her umbrella cause the sun is relentless and sometimes overbearing.

Once you are in SC then turn on the radio and there will be plenty of beach music to help guide you through. ;) Which reminds me, the first time I went to Charleston I played a gig with Eddie Floyd. Remember "Knock On Wood"? I'll tell ya more about Eddie when you get here. :lol: You can probably relate. :P

Be sure and bring your guitar so we can impress the wimmens with our jams. :D

Lookin forward to it bro!!

:D :)

Appreciate all the suggestions. :)

What I'm looking for is an actual program that let's you custom

design your trips.

For example, I used to have one that let you choose everything

from libraries to grocery stores. You could plot out everything.

Know what I mean?

:D