Dual nationality

I heard that during the most recent visit of President Hu to the White House, he brought up the issue of dual-citizenship to Obama. It seems that it's the U.S. who's unwilling due to fear of losing Chinese American talents. Let's hope that China will push further and harder, then maybe Obama will give in.

I don't understand what China would be pushing the US to do. It's article 9 of the Nationality Law of the PRC that states Chinese who obtain foreign nationality lose Chinese nationality. It has nothing to do with US law or Obama.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that during the most recent visit of President Hu to the White House, he brought up the issue of dual-citizenship to Obama. It seems that it's the U.S. who's unwilling due to fear of losing Chinese American talents. Let's hope that China will push further and harder, then maybe Obama will give in.

I don't understand what China would be pushing the US to do. It's article 9 of the Nationality Law of the PRC that states Chinese who obtain foreign nationality lose Chinese nationality. It has nothing to do with US law or Obama.

It is China who does not want dual nationality. That is the truth. Obama does not have to give in as the US does not prohibit this.

I'm sure they can put a clause in the law to make an exception for US citizens born in China if they want. Don't think US would allow dual citizenship with every country. Anyways, the fact is that President Hu brought it up during his most recent visit to the White House. Hopefully they'll work it out in the near future.