Dual nationality

I'd like to start a discussion about dual citizenship. As most know, China does not recognize dual nationality. And yet some people do manage to keep both nationalities. This comes up on forums every now and then. But overall, it's not easy to get good and complete information on this. I hope that a few of the members here may have solid info.

Since questions of which citizenship to maintain come up here periodically, I figure this will be of interest.

I know generally that the process involves making pit stops in Hong Kong and switching out passports each time you travel between the U.S. and China. My questions would be:

-Exactly what is the process?

-How risky is it? If the dual-nationality holder were searched, the officers would surely discover the second passport.

-Would clandestine dual nationality be a realistic long-term option? Might coordination between countries eventually lead to cross-referencing, so that Chin would find out about the dual nationality?

I'm looking forward to hearing from those who can fill out this subject.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem comes up at passport renewal time, you MUST provide a copy of US-Green-Card. USCIS takes the green-card away upon becoming a US Citizen.

2. Subject to the U.S. "green card", providing a "green card" original and copy;

http://www.china-embassy.org/chn/hzqz/hzlxz/t84197.htm

Problem comes up at passport renewal time, you MUST provide a copy of US-Green-Card. USCIS takes the green-card away upon becoming a US Citizen.

2. Subject to the U.S. "green card", providing a "green card" original and copy;

In theory you could renew your passport in China if this were to work.

I dont know how that would work becoz Chinese citizens dont use passport for travel to HK. Not sure what its called but its a seperate book like a passport.

In any case it will show up in HK as an "overstay".

Edited by Sam and Fen (see edit history)

In theory you could renew your passport in China if this were to work.

I dont know how that would work becoz Chinese citizens dont use passport for travel to HK. Not sure what its called but its a seperate book like a passport.

In any case it will show up in HK as an "overstay".

Other issue with that is showing how enter and exit China. Entry to HK would be on US passport, they may share this information with the mainland, they will then question why the Chinese passport has no entry stamp for HK. Then They may also have an issue when exiting mainland China, need evidence can travel further usually a green-card or a visa in Chinese passport, and US passport would have no entry or exit visa for china.

WAY TOO COMPLICATED!

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Then the question would arise as to what are the purposes of keep dual nationality. If they are mainly for the ease of travel and stay in those 2 countries, then a not too complicated and cheaper way is to have a Chinese passport and a US green card.

Then the question would arise as to what are the purposes of keep dual nationality. If they are mainly for the ease of travel and stay in those 2 countries, then a not too complicated and cheaper way is to have a Chinese passport and a US green card.

True. It seems to be the best option for a lot of people. However, the disadvantages are:

-inability to sponsor relatives for immigration to the U.S.

-risk of losing the green card if you stay out of the U.S. too long.

True. It seems to be the best option for a lot of people. However, the disadvantages are:

-inability to sponsor relatives for immigration to the U.S.

If the Chinese relatives cannot find gainful employment in the U.S., then the ability to sponsor relatives becomes less important.

-risk of losing the green card if you stay out of the U.S. too long.

If the Chinese spouse has a re-entry permit, then he/she can stay in China for up to 2 years without worrying about losing green card. It is cheaper than the alternative where the naturalized US citizen has to renew his/her tourist visa in China every 3-6 months.

If the goal is to free one's self the obligation of "Affidavit of Support", then I would say I haven't heard much of the Chinese women going after their American ex-husbands for financial support after divorce occurs. Instead I heard more American husbands are burdened with paying child support.

Since I am working and paying taxes in the US, it is alright for me to pay the Chinese Embassy once a while to go back China. I take it as a way of showing my appreciation to China for bringing me up.

Good one!

Either it is a visa, or paying to renew the passport, and green-card every 10 years.

Expats, and relatives can get 2 year multi-entry visas to China, so the cost of visa is not too bad.

The reason people would want dual citizenship is so that they can work/stay for indefinite periods in either country but also have the right to return to the other country. Perhaps a couple would like to work for 10 years in China, then come back to the U.S., or vice versa. There are also people like RogerLuli who want to retire in China with a Chinese spouse. If his spouse keeps Chinese citizenship and U.S. green card, she will be fine in China for two years with a reentry permit, but then what? She can apply for a new re-entry permit. Then what? And after that, then what?

They are retired and there is not an end-date to their stay in China, but she would like to have the door open to the U.S. just in case. (For one thing, once the green card is gone for good, the U.S. would probably not grant her a visitor visa to go see Roger's family.)

The reason people would want dual citizenship is so that they can work/stay for indefinite periods in either country but also have the right to return to the other country. Perhaps a couple would like to work for 10 years in China, then come back to the U.S., or vice versa. There are also people like RogerLuli who want to retire in China with a Chinese spouse. If his spouse keeps Chinese citizenship and U.S. green card, she will be fine in China for two years with a reentry permit, but then what? She can apply for a new re-entry permit. Then what? And after that, then what?

They are retired and there is not an end-date to their stay in China, but she would like to have the door open to the U.S. just in case. (For one thing, once the green card is gone for good, the U.S. would probably not grant her a visitor visa to go see Roger's family.)

I see your valid points. Maybe if you can afford it, you can spend your summer months in your U.S. home and winter months in your Chinese home in Hainan, China.

If both you and your wife are US citizens, how can you stay in China for 10 years? renew "L" visas for ever?

If both you and your wife are US citizens, how can you stay in China for 10 years? renew "L" visas for ever?

During retirement? If both are U.S. citizens, I don't know of any practical way to stay in China long-term if neither party is working. China turns its back on former citizens. That is why maintaining dual-nationality would be so attractive.

Otherwise, you and your U.S.-naturalized spouse could keep running to Hong Kong every three months for new tourist visas. But eventually you would reach an age where that is too strenuous. If the Chinese spouse has living parents in China, or children, longer L visas may be possible, renewable in-country.

If a green card holder LIVES in China, they have abandoned their green card. What matters, though, is when will the USCIS catch on.

If you maintain a US residence that you are returning to, and have a GOOD reason for the length of your stay, you can bolster your case.

Do NOT expect to be able to stay longer than 6 months - and do not expect to be able to do even that repeatedly.

The re-entry permit and returning resident visas require reasons that most of us don't qualify for

Do your homework on other boards and see if you can find cases where people have tried what you want to do.

Since it is illegal to have dual citizenship in China, the result can be deadly if one gets caught having dual citizenship. China may prosecute the person for espionage or some other crimes. The result can be 10 years in prison or worst. Just follow the laws for the country you plan to visit.