Best way to ship clothes, things, etc... from China

We shipped a few boxes using China Post. I think we paid around 300 per 10 KG. I'm not certain that it was such a great deal, but it was the only option available to us at the time. All of our boxes made it without issue. The boxes themselves were "damaged" during shipping which made it easy for customs to take a peek inside. Nothing was lost during transit. It took around 4 - 6 weeks for our boxes to reach their U.S. destination by slow-boat.

I tried China Post for a large picture and though the picture survived the frame did not.

Best thing I have found is good old frequent flyer programs. Star Alliance which includes Air China allows you to check 3, 50lb bags at no charge if you are silver member or above, silver member is only 2 round trips to China basically.

Every trip I bring things back with me that my wife does not use or wear on daily basis. When she finally moves here she will not have much to bring at all, since most is already here.

Bite the bulet and just bring it all with you and pay the airlines the extra baggage fee....is what we did....you are gonna pay to have it here one way or another....is just a question of when do you want it here.

Thanks Steve,

The wife will travel from ShenZhen to Hong Kong then to Chicago alone where I will meet her. She ain't any bigger than a bug and I hate to think of her dragging bags all that way. It is not possible for me to join her in China now.

Every trip I bring things back with me that my wife does not use or wear on daily basis. When she finally moves here she will not have much to bring at all, since most is already here.

I did that too... until I got severely reprimanded by customs for having a suitcase full of her stuff. Some obscure rule about not bringing in things that belong to others. Seems odd to me, but I didn't feel like arguing at the time, so just agreed not to do it again. Next trip, I was in the system because they asked me if I was bringing anything of hers that time.

I suppose one could just make the claim they like wearing all those things. :huh:

I did that too... until I got severely reprimanded by customs for having a suitcase full of her stuff. Some obscure rule about not bringing in things that belong to others. Seems odd to me, but I didn't feel like arguing at the time, so just agreed not to do it again. Next trip, I was in the system because they asked me if I was bringing anything of hers that time.

I suppose one could just make the claim they like wearing all those things. :huh:

I should add... at the time we weren't married yet (K1 visa)... maybe such rules don't apply within family.

China Post is problematic for anything of value. Great for books and publications, though, if you don't mind waiting 2-3 months. Not cheap exactly, but my wife, (who teaches Chinese) got so many dirt cheap, (and really wonderful---very creatively illustrated) Chinese teaching materials on her last trip----which if purchased, or ordered in the US would have been over a thousand dollars----Her purchased price: about $75.00. Delivery: About $55.00