Chinese Diplomat beaten by Houston Police

This sort of relates to the new Arizona immigration law, in that it demonstrates the rather incredible insensitivity of some US cops towards minorities----and their inability (or unwillingness) to distinguish between those lawful and those here illegally. And Arizona thinks it can trust its collective law enforcement to consistently do better??

But Houston goons, aside, Imagine how if, the facts were reversed, and a US diplomat were beaten up in China by police-----just how The New York Times would report it...

PRINT

Back to story

China: Diplomat beaten, injured by Houston police

1 hr 25 mins ago

<deleted the copy/paste to prevent being sued for copyright infringement>

Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.Questions or CommentsPrivacy PolicyAbout Our AdsTerms of ServiceCopyright/IP Policy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diplomatic immunity gives these people a license to break all kinds of laws, from parking tickets on up. All we can do is kick them out of the country if they abuse the privilege excessively.

This guy was probably not one of the more flagrant offenders - he would have made sure his plates were in full sight.

I'm not sure where this garage is located (I doubt it's on the same block with the consulate) - apparently, the police had no reason to realize the guy was a diplomat without making the connection.

This is a guy evading police - the fact that he did it legally (because of the diplomatic immunity) was obviously unknown to the police.

I'm not defending the police officers, they should have known better than to create an international incident on the consulate grounds but it appears that the press is blowing it out of proportion.

During the course of the arrest, Consul Yu sustained injuries to neck and arms and sent to Memorial Hermann Hospital for treatment. Sources tell Eyewitness News that the injuries were superficial, and Yu was treated and released. Yu's wife, Deng Qinghua, was in the car during the incident but unhurt.

Sounds to be that he struggled a little while they were trying to cuff him and gave him bruise or two.

I'm not defending the police officers, they should have known better than to create an international incident on the consulate grounds but it appears that the press is blowing it out of proportion.

During the course of the arrest, Consul Yu sustained injuries to neck and arms and sent to Memorial Hermann Hospital for treatment. Sources tell Eyewitness News that the injuries were superficial, and Yu was treated and released. Yu's wife, Deng Qinghua, was in the car during the incident but unhurt.

Sounds to be that he struggled a little while they were trying to cuff him and gave him bruise or two.

I think the garage is separate from the consulate - I don't remember seeing any ramps around the building - so it's very possible that they didn't realize it was consulate property.

Without the plates, they had no reason to think he was a diplomat

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Diplomatic immunity gives these people a license to break all kinds of laws, from parking tickets on up. All we can do is kick them out of the country if they abuse the privilege excessively.

This guy was probably not one of the more flagrant offenders - he would have made sure his plates were in full sight.

I'm not sure where this garage is located (I doubt it's on the same block with the consulate) - apparently, the police had no reason to realize the guy was a diplomat without making the connection.

This is a guy evading police - the fact that he did it legally (because of the diplomatic immunity) was obviously unknown to the police.

Reminds me of Lethal Weapon 2.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/6a00e54ee7b6428833011570d51d59970c-.jpg

http://sackdadcock.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/lethal-weapon-2.jpg

Diplomatic liscence plates are different and this car was missing a liscence plate and was fleeing after being asked to stop.

How are the cops going to know if these are diplomats or not?

My feelings exactly!! And how does this tie in with the Arizona immigration law? I fail to see the similarities. :huh:

I did not read where the Mr. Yu immediately identified himself as a member of the Chinese Diplomatic Corps. I wonder if he did or did he do that after the scuffle. This seems to be an important point to me as Mr. Yu's plates were missing. The initial response by the police was correct by stopping a vehicle with no plates whether the vehicle was on consulate grounds or not. They spotted him while he was on a public street and then went into the consulate parking area. What happened after they encountered Mr. Yu is his word against the police officers.

Larry

If this trend continues it could make it more dangerous for Americans to travel abroad.

Wrong - it's a constant, ongoing problem in ANY major international city. This guy was simply an amateur at it. Someone with more experience would have had the plates on, and would have immediately flashed his ID.

Just based on what was posted, the title of the thread says he was beaten, but the posted quotation says injured while being handcuffed. What is the level of difference between those two words? What really happened in terms of the level of violence?

Just based on what was posted, the title of the thread says he was beaten, but the posted quotation says injured while being handcuffed. What is the level of difference between those two words? What really happened in terms of the level of violence?

Good point Smitty; if it turns out there's not much to this (mistaken identity, no plates to show relationship to consulate, maybe resisting the handcuffs), then China's use of terms like "beaten" and (as I've seen in other reports of this story) "harassed and assaulted" are extremely irresponsible.

I guess maybe they don't understand "innocent until proven guilty" or investigation before comment. :ph34r:

Some more details from today's Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6983234.html

One of the police involved was Vietnamese, and a councilman said this -

city Councilman Al Hoang, who represents a heavily Chinese-American district, praised the Parker administration's handling of the case. ¡°The Chinese Consulate has a great relationship with our city and I know that relationship will continue,¡± he said. ¡°

Having grown up in DC, I'm fully aware of the liberties the Consulate Corps from various nations take while in the US ------ but how do you go from being stopped for no plates to being---at the very least---manhandled and cuffed??? Its a mystery, and there is plenty of speculation here, based on what little has been released to the press.

But logic dictates that Mr. Yu didn't start his day with a car without license plates. :ph34r: (why would he??? He's ENTITLED to diplomatic plates) So what happened to them? Fair to say, no one here checks both license plates before they heads off to work. Hard to believe, as some have speculated here, that Mr. Yu DIDN"T immediately try to identify himself as a Consulate Corps member (and therefore, had complete immunity from this police action----I mean, WHO would be that stupid?? ) ------ which lead to a logical conclusion----Mr. Yu's English perhaps, isn't entirely up to standards acceptable to the Houston police, and they used that as an excuse to rough him up. ------that, CLFers is how this relates to the new Arizona immigration law.

------ which lead to a logical conclusion----Mr. Yu's English perhaps, isn't entirely up to standards acceptable to the Houston police, and they used that as an excuse to rough him up. ------that, CLFers is how this relates to the new Arizona immigration law.

You mean speculative? And yes I still do not see the relation.