may 4th interview

Considered rescheduling the interview? I would think this would be better than having GUZ drop a "blue" on you.

What is the problem -- either you have 125% (hopefully more) of the poverty line or you have a co-sponser?

Thanks for the quick reply, I just lost my job this month. My hope is that we could find a joint sponsor, or even better, a job soon. I don't know how things work there but thought it would be possible to send in a new AOS after I'm working or have a sponsor. When we send in a new AOS, I'm wondering if my wife will need to return to Guangzhou. We both hate being this close & having to postpone. She has a lot of assests we're trying to use on her new I-864A but not sure if Guangzhou will look favorable on this. So we're going to "chance" that they'll accept her assets.

Note I-864A is only for use by a household member of sponsor or joint sponsor. If joint sponsor is NOT a household member, the joint provides an I-864. Typically household member means Spouse, Children, or other dependents.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fairly cool right now (under 30C), but a LOT of rain.

In Houston or Yulin???

Yulin - we really haven't seen any hot weather yet. I expect Guangzhou would be pretty similar.

Wish I knew how to figure out when the sun is supposed to pass directly overhead (just one of those solar events, in addition to the equinoxes and the solstices, when you're inside the tropic zone).

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Considered rescheduling the interview? I would think this would be better than having GUZ drop a "blue" on you.

Note I-864A is only for use by a household member of sponsor or joint sponsor. If joint sponsor is NOT a household member, the joint provides an I-864. Typically household member means Spouse, Children, or other dependents.

Thanks for that. The way I read the 864A is that it's completed by household member. The intending immigrant can be considered a household member as long as they're the spouse. If I'm wrong on this I would be very gratefull if someone would correct me.

{edit} Fixed broken quotes

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

In Houston or Yulin???

Yulin - we really haven't seen any hot weather yet. I expect Guangzhou would be pretty similar.

Wish I knew how to figure out when the sun is supposed to pass directly overhead (just one of those solar events, in addition to the equinoxes and the solstices, when you're inside the tropic zone).

Same here in Qingdao..here it is April 29 and I am still wearing my "knock off" black Nike Manchester United long winter jacket.....

Thanks for that. The way I read the 864A is that it's completed by household member. The intending immigrant can be considered a household member as long as they're the spouse. If I'm wrong on this I would be very grateful if someone would correct me.
The intending immigrant needs to already be a member of household as in living in your home, and already have and income that will continue after getting greencard. This case is for a K-3, Work visa, or perhaps a Student visa holder in the USA who has work permissions (EAD from filing an I-765), and has a job they can use this income to add to that of their sponsoring spouse.

How Can the Intending Immigrant Be Considered a Household Member?

Listed below are two ways that the intending immigrant may be considered to be a household member for the purposes of pooling income with the sponsor to meet the Affidavit of Support requirements:

• The intending immigrant has the same principal residence as the sponsor and the intending immigrant can establish that his or her income will continue from the same source, even after acquisition of permanent residence.

• The intending immigrant is the sponsor's spouse and the intending immigrant can show that his or her income will continue from the same source after acquisition of permanent residence.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864a.pdf

So is she living in your home IN THE USA now, and will her income continue once she moves to the USA??

So is she living in your home IN THE USA now, and will her income continue once she moves to the USA??

her income (retirement) will continue, but she's living in china....she's interviewing in guangzhou.

So then she qualifies under the second "way":

The intending immigrant is the sponsor's spouse and the intending immigrant can show that his or her income will continue from the same source after acquisition of permanent residence.

In Houston or Yulin???

Looks like it'll be around June 15 sometime (same for Guangzhou - pretty close to the 21st anyway) (we're at 22 degrees 38')

http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/highlights/sunrise/solardec.gif

her income (retirement) will continue, but she's living in china....she's interviewing in guangzhou.

The intending immigrant is the sponsor's spouse and the intending immigrant can show that his or her income will continue from the same source after acquisition of permanent residence.

This is a tricky one, I would suspect the consulate may have problems with this, if income is an issue, I would be getting a good joint sponsor in the USA.

This is a tricky one, I would suspect the consulate may have problems with this, if income is an issue, I would be getting a good joint sponsor in the USA.

If their two incomes together are high enough AND they can prove it will continue with some translated documentation then I don't see an issue. The instructions are fairly clear but it they are still, say less than 150% of poverty, then yes a joint sponsor would be a good backup plan.

If their two incomes together are high enough AND they can prove it will continue with some translated documentation then I don't see an issue. The instructions are fairly clear but it they are still, say less than 200% of poverty, then yes a joint sponsor would be a good backup plan.

Shenzhen & dnoblett, I can't say thanks enough to you both. dnoblett, you're right, it has been a tricky one. Although the instructions seem straight forward, sometimes I still mistake the meanings or context for which they were meant (Us Texans can be that way ya know? No offense Randy) I've read the 864 & 864A instruction a few times & went with which one I thought was best.

For what it's worth, her retirement income amounts to little in US $$. It's her property value that we hope will make the difference.

Something I've heard that may interest you. Guangzhou has only recently started accepting the intending immigrant's assets as a means of support. Exactly what they will accept remains to be seen. I will be sure to let you both know what Guangzhou tells my wife. Again, this is what my wife is hearing from sources "in the know" from Guangzhou. Thanks again for your help. I hope I can repay you guys with some good info from GZO soon. Steve

Edited by teeb57 (see edit history)

Shenzhen & dnoblett, I can't say thanks enough to you both. dnoblett, you're right, it has been a tricky one. Although the instructions seem straight forward, sometimes I still mistake the meanings or context for which they were meant (Us Texans can be that way ya know? No offense Randy) I've read the 864 & 864A instruction a few times & went with which one I thought was best.

For what it's worth, her retirement income amounts to little in US $$. It's her property value that we hope will make the difference.

Something I've heard that may interest you. Guangzhou has only recently started accepting the intending immigrant's assets as a means of support. Exactly what they will accept remains to be seen. I will be sure to let you both know what Guangzhou tells my wife. Again, this is what my wife is hearing from sources "in the know" from Guangzhou. Thanks again for your help. I hope I can repay you guys with some good info from GZO soon. Steve

Here is one from London where they have accepted Intending Immigrant's assets and income for some time, typically they want to know how the assets will be transfered to the USA.

Applicants Own Funds

An applicant who expects to be able to meet the public charge provisions of the law through personal financial resources may submit to the consular officer evidence of funds or income from one or more of the following sources:

• bank statement showing present balance of applicant's account, date account was opened, the number and amount of deposits and withdrawals during the past 12 months, and the average balance during the year. If there have been recent unusually large deposits, an explanation thereof should be given;
  • proof of ownership of property or real estate, in the form of a title deed or the equivalent and a letter from a lawyer, or real estate agent showing its present valuation (any mortgages or loans against the property must be stated);
  • letter or letters verifying ownership of stocks and bonds, with present market value or expected earnings indicated;
    statement from insurance company showing policies held and present case surrender value;
  • proof of income from business investments or other sources.

If the financial resources are derived from a source outside the United States, a statement as to how the funds or income are to be transferred to the U.S. must be provided.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html

Lao po will be very interested in hearing this one for sure. Just how do you find this stuff so fast anyway, you have a staff working around the clock? nice work! We'll find out very soon if London & GZO handle this similarly. Stay tuned........

We got our answer from the GZO consulate. My wife just called to tell me that a guangzhou VO had just called to let her know that my wife's property & funds are of little value when considering her as a joint sponsor. The VO would make the final determination at the time of the interview, but the sponsor & joint sponsor residing in the U.S.A. was GZO's primary concern.

Just passing along what I hope is good info to you guys. Steve