Life in America

Michael

I can't remember my wife ever being wrong in picking the major Asian nationalities, either in the US or China. Here in Portland, I've been in several situations where there is an obviously Cantonese, and if there is some reason to communicate, I suggest she approach him--- she has said, without ever seeing him before: "oh, he's ABC, you can speak to him yourself. She's always right.

Particularly good at picking out Japanese in China. To avoid them. She has pulled me across the street, and only when I say 'huh?' explains why. Getting better though, she has some Japanese/American classmates she socializes with now.

• 4 weeks later...

you sound like a good man michael who considers his wife very much. i would like to ask you a question if thats ok? since your wife has come here, is there anything she did not bring that you wish now she would have brought with her? my wife & i are now trying to figure what she needs to bring when she comes in the next few months. thank for sharing, steve

you sound like a good man michael who considers his wife very much. i would like to ask you a question if thats ok? since your wife has come here, is there anything she did not bring that you wish now she would have brought with her? my wife & i are now trying to figure what she needs to bring when she comes in the next few months. thank for sharing, steve

Steve,

That is a very good question. When I get home later I will ask my wife and will have a answer for you.

Michael

My wife did not bring a spare pair of contact lenses and the one she had she dropped on the heater. They are $500 here in the US as opposed to 200 yuan in China. :rolleyes:

She also did not bring a handbag and she did not like the ones here.

She had her friend send one over from China. :o

Edited to add: She is having a tuff time finding jeans here.

Edited by Sam and Fen (see edit history)

Certain spices are not available here, I just returned from Chongqing with 2 large bags of spices for someone's wife that is already in the states. I am just glad Customs didnt open my bag, would have taken long time to explain "But sir, it is used for cooking, I swear".

On the customs note, when I came through JFK this time, anyone with non US passport was getting bags searched, not sure if they stepped up security for some reason but the line was insanely long and they had 10 stations searching bags.

US Passport and you walked right through.

Guest Tony n Terrific

Very nice story Michael. The best is yet to come. Watch the swearing around your wife. They pick up everything. Like Peat and repeat. When I was in Nanning I said the word BS if front of my wife. She wanted to know what it meant. After I returned home one of my relatives was over to my home and talking with her on the Web Cam. My cousin wished that she would be over here soon. My wife responded in her English yes it would be so nice to meet you in person..... No BS. :surprise:

Believe me I got an earful about proper English.

Sam, Scott & Tony, Thanks for your help. We never thought about spices or an extra pair of glasses for her. I looked on the TSA web site and wasn't able to find where spices would be a problem.

Thanks again to all for adding. Steve