When dose AOS have to be done? can we wait till after 90 days?

reason I ask that is my main job takes a break for 10 weeks from the end of May till mid August and I would rather use that 1000.00 to help get her settled then do the AOS after I get back to work.

Will they want 3 years of income again or will 2009 be ok?

What is my 1st step?

First step tends to apply for SSN about 2 weeks or so after entry.

Marry within the 90 days.

However yes can delay filing AOS for a little while after the I-94 expires, however keep in mind the longer delay filing I-485 after the I-94 expires the more out of status time accumulates. Also you run the risk of having to dealing with CBP and they do operate around southern AZ.

Another issue is if out of status more than 6 months then DO NOT attempt to travel with an AP document 6 months or more out of status time will result in a bar on re-entry.

Also the longer you delay they may ask questions if you get an interview for AOS.

When dose AOS have to be done? can we wait till after 90 days?

reason I ask that is my main job takes a break for 10 weeks from the end of May till mid August and I would rather use that 1000.00 to help get her settled then do the AOS after I get back to work.

Will they want 3 years of income again or will 2009 be ok?

What is my 1st step?

My experience FWIW

(1) Not sure when it has to be done. We married the day after she arrived and filed 60 days later. Be sure to file for "advance parole" (travel authorization) and work authorization at same time as there is no additional cost to the 2 year AOS (green card) I-485 application. In our case, the travel and work authorizations arrived 7 weeks later and the 2 year AOS (green card) took 4 1/2 months (several more RFE but no interview). We are both very relieved this filing and waiting ordeal is finally over for awhile (until we file for the 10 yr green card).

(2) Your fiance's K-1 is for 90 days and technically she is out of status thereafter so I think I'd file before the 90 days were up to be able to show proof of intent. You will also want to get it out of the way. IMO your real "break" will come after you get the green card.

(3) I had the same worries about "helping my girl get settled" before she arrived. I assumed my grocery bill would double now that I would be buying food for 2 people and that other bills would go up. My bills actually dropped as my Chinese wife is more frugal and a better shopper than I am. She thought she needed and I thought she wanted all sorts of things.

My advice - hold off on any significant purchases and spend the first 60 days enjoying your life together, finding the local Asian and farmers markets, taking her to discount stores to "window shop" and only buy a few inexpensive things while you "make a plan" for what you need. Then file your AOS between 50 and 90 days and buy a little at a time. Check out garage sales (we got some great deals) and let her show you how valuable a wife and how clever of a shopper she can be. You will be amazed and she will feel accomplishment and not feel she "wasted" your money by spending it too quickly without shopping for good deals. Also I found that a lot of stuff my wife talked about us needing (when she was in China) turned out wasn't needed/necessary when she came to USA.

Example: she thought we needed a $200 bean juice extractor before she arrived here. Then I took her to WalMart and she realized how cheap Soy Milk is here. Then I introduced her to American coffee. Now a $20 coffee pot, some coffee and a 1/2 gallon of Soy Milk a month has made the perceived "need" of a $200 Bean Juice extractor quite unnecessary. In fact, she is now glad we didn't waste the money as she admits it would just have taken up counter space in the kitchen. Had I purchased it I'd be trying to sell it to you on E-Bay now. :lol:

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

Why do we wait 2 weeks to apply for a SSN? Dose it take that amount of time for her to show up in the system?

From one of my favorite songs " Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." comes the feelings I will have after reading the next installment of posts by Robert .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Why do we wait 2 weeks to apply for a SSN? Dose it take that amount of time for her to show up in the system?

How about that? You answered your own question!

Robert, is she here yet?? If not when does she arrive?

We will file Na's AOS in May. That is still within the 90 days. We already applied for the SSC but we have to get the name changed on it when it gets here........we had not recieved the CERTIFIED copy of the marriage certificate in the mail when we went to apply.

Robert

We will file Na's AOS in May. That is still within the 90 days. We already applied for the SSC but we have to get the name changed on it when it gets here........we had not recieved the CERTIFIED copy of the marriage certificate in the mail when we went to apply.

Robert

To add to this:

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Robert

hey, robert

Do you know how long it will take for marriaged couple to get the certified copy of the marriage certificate?

We are waiting for sending AOS application off soon.

Thanks

V

It all depends on where you get married, some places like Las Vegas you can get it when you turn in the executed marriage license. Others like Hawaii can take WEEKS to get.

Here in NY State, we had ours 2 days after marriage, in the mail.

Again you should make a photo copy of the certificate and send the photo-copy in with the I-485, and KEEP the original certificate or certified copy for your records.

Robert

hey, robert

Do you know how long it will take for marriaged couple to get the certified copy of the marriage certificate?

Thanks

V

Takes 1 week in GA

Robert

hey, robert

Thanks

V

We got married at the Courthouse in Florida and got our marriage certificates on the spot.