What are the red flags?

advice is what it is.....advice.....with that said, i can only relegate to you how our situation came about....we filed two months after she got her divorce certificate....got blued at the interview, but was not for non bonafide relationship, she had two children, both hers and had to have dna tests for it.....as for the relationship, i explained to guz in lengthy detail how i was aware that rong had not yet divorced when we first met (it is commonplace for a chinese man and woman to separate and live separate lives basically for the financial security of the situation)...rong had been separated from her now ex for seven years when we filed our K-1 and she had gotten statements from 3 people she had known during this period to attest to the fact that Rong has had no contact with her ex and these statements were translated and certified and notarized...i think that it sometimes is just a matter of covering all the bases throughout this process....as for my blue slip, we wanted to have the dna tests done prior to interview, but Guz did not respond to this untill the interview....either way, its a crap shoot...some get extremely lucky and get a very easy VO, while others get what is scraped off the bottom of the ocean......best of luck no matter how you persue it

Edited by steveandrong (see edit history)

Don't let them scare you, Davidq. It is only there opinions and not at all the protocol of the visa unit. It was less than a year between my wife's divorce and when I filed the I-130 and the visa process went off without a hitch. I'm telling you this because none of the visa process is all black and white. Some make it and some don't no matter what the case may be. So carry on with your plans as long as they are true and to your satisfaction. My only suggestion to you would be go back to China and marry her after a few months past her divorce and then come back and file the paperwork.

Good Luck.

but you cannot compare your time of what? 6-8 years ago to today.

Yes, this is only my opinion. RED. Choose any shade you want and proceed with caution. Justify the relationship however you want, it won't be as others who judge the visa will. Disclaimer again: Just my opinion.

I'm not making any comparisons, David. I'm just pointing out to David, (the other David...:blink:), that his chances on getting a visa aren't so bad. There isn't any law against getting married right after a divorce and I'm sure the VO's don't frown upon it except they may look into it for fraud which they are well trained to identify, and which I am sure, isn't the case in David's situation.

In my opinion, and my experience, David's chances of obtaining a visa for his fiancee, or qizi, is just as good as anybody elses. :unsure:

ok... everyone's chances of getting a visa are as good as anyone elses... until they look into fraud issues... got you.

I don't think that anyone is trying to discourage anyone here.

In my own case it took over 36 months from beginning to end.

And all 4 blue slips were BS.

All trips to ACH were a waste of time.

Every Red Flag was concocted lies on the part of GUZ and the FBI!

You guys remember that one! :)

Sometimes this process sucks (Ask Mick, Charles,Tsap)

Just warning the OP of POSSIBLE concerns, not definite outcomes.

Our job here is to help people through the visa process. That means to warn them of possible obstacles or to reassure them as well. I think ty means well but I also think we would be remiss in our duty if we tell him not to worry everything will be OK. The scenario the OP posed brings up issues known to cause suspicion with VOs. Just because one person made it through without a snag doesn't mean the OP will as well. The OP would be wise to read all the advice given here and make his own decisions based on logic rather than emotion.

Our job here is to help people through the visa process. That means to warn them of possible obstacles or to reassure them as well. I think ty means well but I also think we would be remiss in our duty if we tell him not to worry everything will be OK. The scenario the OP posed brings up issues known to cause suspicion with VOs. Just because one person made it through without a snag doesn't mean the OP will as well. The OP would be wise to read all the advice given here and make his own decisions based on logic rather than emotion.

Well said Carl!

I was only trying to give Davidq a little encouragement among all the discouraging replies I was reading. And YES- everyone's chances of getting a visa are basically the same, as long as everything is truthful and not trying to circumvent the process in any way.

As long as you're honest and straight forward with everything, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

I remember studying the I-130 and I-129F forms and instructions for over two weeks before I finally filed them. I was on my own back in those days. And I filed with confidence and a positive attitude towards it all. There were a couple of 'snags' I ran into but nothing too serious and nothing I couldn't quickly resolve or get resolved.

So my advice to Davidq is, when possible, go back to China and marry his love and then come back and file the paperwork. I think I've already said that somewhere. Time,,, as long as it may seem... is really on his side, so don't fret too much when things run into a log jam, if they do at all. Just dive into it all with confidence, and a positive attitude. :D