Getting Medications in China

Tremendous help there. Thanks, guys!

So I've got several possibilities - I can continue ordering from India, I can travel to another city in China where it is available, I can consult with a doctor who can help transition me to another medication, I can keep trying until I figure out how to buy it locally, or I can take an annual trip to Nanning (much like my annual check-ups in the US).

For now, I've got a supply through Sept., so I should be in real good shape.

My wife will see if she can get the tea

Thanks again

Randy,

I take Norvasc and see it here in Qingdao at all the pharmacy shops. I have also seen the generic version of Ziac (bisoprolol) in most of the shops.

I would think that they have it also were you are at. In my case I usually just wonder about the shop until I find the right area (the blood pressure medicine will all be together in one place usually) and then look at the boxes. They usually have english and chinese for the names but they place the english name side facedown so you have to ask them to let you look at each one.

I have SOS insurance here in China and they have main clinics in Nanjing, Shenzhen, Beijing, and Shanghai along with others in Guangzhou, Qingdao, Wuhan, etc) but none close to your area. So I then called my international clinic service for a hospital recommendation in Nanning (closest I could find for you) and they gave me two names:

Nanning- First Hospital of Guangxi Medical University

Nanning - Yan Chai Hospital (http://www.yanchai.org.hk/default_1.asp)

Dr. Liaoning

- 0771-5356703 (0ffice)

- 13978812808 (mobile telephone)

I hope this helps. You can always go visit Jesse in Nanjing or myself in Qingdao and go to the SOS clinic there --- :)

You seem like someone we know - what was your previous username?

So I've got several possibilities - I can continue ordering from India, I can travel to another city in China where it is available, I can consult with a doctor who can help transition me to another medication, I can keep trying until I figure out how to buy it locally, or I can take an annual trip to Nanning (much like my annual check-ups in the US).

Thanks again

One option you forgot, I can buy here and mail to you using EMS.

Randy,

Medication that I was taking was unknown in China.

I finally contacted my Doc in the States and she provided

a prescription to a friend who then sent it Fedex to me.

Steve

So I'm not feeling completely useless here,

I suggested this way back on page 1. :)

Thanks again

If you are going as far as Guangzhou, have you considered visiting Hong Kong? Unless you know someone who works in the pharmaceutical industry in the mainland, I think the quality and pedigree of the Rx you get in Hong Kong may be a more reliable option. You'll need a script from a doc in Hong Kong however.

I thought life in China would be less stressful. ;-)

Randy,

Steve

I suggested this way back on page 1. :lol:

The difference is I live in China and have seen the BP medicine he uses in drug shops here.

Randy,

Steve

I suggested this way back on page 1. :)

The difference is I live in China and have seen the BP medicine he uses in drug shops here.

Yes - in fact, I still have six months of bisoprolol (generic Ziac) prescribed for me back in the US. But his seems like a good point at which to break the tie - the bisoprolol would have been at least as expensive as what I paid for the Zebesta (which I bought a six month supply of from India).

In the US, I paid $10 for a 90 day supply. Now that I don't have the prescription coverage, the cost is much more of a concern. The Zebasta was $70 for 200 days.

It's more a matter of FINDING the drug (or a long term replacement), for now. The Zebasta from India may just fit the bill.

But, thanks, Steve (and everyone else) - you ARE appreciated!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Randy,

Steve

I suggested this way back on page 1. :lol:

Yes - in fact, I still have six months of bisoprolol (generic Ziac) prescribed for me back in the US. But his seems like a good point at which to break the tie - the bisoprolol would have been at least as expensive as what I paid for the Zebesta (which I bought a six month supply of from India).

In the US, I paid $10 for a 90 day supply. Now that I don't have the prescription coverage, the cost is much more of a concern. The Zebasta was $70 for 200 days.

It's more a matter of FINDING the drug (or a long term replacement), for now. The Zebasta from India may just fit the bill.

But, thanks, Steve (and everyone else) - you ARE appreciated!

Thanks Randy, it's hard for a new guy to get his footing here. :lol:

Of course, it's better to work with a doctor with these things. I expect that the drugs ARE available in china and that I'm simply not able to communicate what I'm looking for. I found translations in http://www.esaurus.org/ which didn't ring anyone's bells. In the meantime, I can't afford to be experimenting with different treatments, but if they can understand my condition, then I might feel more comfortable with transitioning to a Chinese treatment.

The beta blocker basically controls your blood pressure by slowing down your heart. My American doctor had tried several different blood pressure medications before settling on the Ziac. When I went to Nanning for my check-up for the employment visa, the doctor was ready to send me to another hospital because of my low pulse (46).

Can anyone help translate this to something that might be workable with a Chinese medical treatment? Or steer me to a western medical center (hopefully, in the southeast) in China that might know about the beta blockers?

Not sure why the doctor wouldn't understand -- instead of trying to translate the name of the medicine, just tell him or her you have high blood pressure (analogous to English, Ѫѹ¸ß) and see what the available drugs are. Translate these drug names to English to find one that you've used or heard enough about to know you can use. You could also do the same thing at the pharmacy. Tell them "high blood pressure" and go look at the different medicines. Maybe I'm missing something?

Not sure why the doctor wouldn't understand -- instead of trying to translate the name of the medicine, just tell him or her you have high blood pressure (analogous to English, Ѫѹ¸ß) and see what the available drugs are. Translate these drug names to English to find one that you've used or heard enough about to know you can use. You could also do the same thing at the pharmacy. Tell them "high blood pressure" and go look at the different medicines. Maybe I'm missing something?

Well, yes, you are! I can't be afford to be experimenting around with different treatments again - I've gone for 3 days without the medication a couple of times - both times, a blood vessel would break in my eye. You need to determine the new treatment, and switch over gradually, making sure it maintains your blood pressure.

The word which seems to be lost around here is "beta blocker" - until I find someone who understands that term (and can wean me over to the corresponding Chinese treatment), I'm not willing to take any chances.

The response locally has been "No more" (drug availability) - it may simply be a matter of finding someone who speaks enough of both Chinese and English to tell me what the Chinese treatment is (say, a trip to Nanning, Guangzhou, or Hong Kong for a consultation with an English-speaking doctor)

Or, an annual trip to a Chinese city where the drug is available over the counter, or the Indian source.

You know, the most important thing is to find something which has the least side effects. It is difficult and troublesome to switch meds.

Every time I look at this title I want to edit it, if I could, to say medications instead of drugs.

I took care of that for ya, Robert. Fixed the spelling on Gettng, too.

It was the old bait and switch, but yes, it's probably best to make that change for someone down the line.

I'll have you know, however, that my dictionary says that "Gettng" is spelled G - E - T - T - N - G ! ^_^ :rolleyes: