Do you remeber back this far?

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/do-...e-1657778210242

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . and they did it!

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends?

and saying things like, 'That cloud looks like a... '?

Playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

. .as well as summers filled with bike rides, Hula Hoops, and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, 'Yeah, I remember that'?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a Double Dog Dare to pass it on. To remember what a Double Dog Dare is, read on. And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between old enough to know better and too young to care.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, the Lone Ranger, The Shadow knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

How Many Of These Do You Remember?

Candy cigarettes

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles.

Coffee shops with Table Side Jukeboxes.

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum.

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers.

Newsreels before the movie.

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...( Yukon 2-601). Party lines.

Peashooters.

Howdy Doody.

Hi-Fi's & 45 RPM records.

78 RPM records!

Green Stamps.

Mimeograph paper.

The Fort Apache Play Set.

Do You Remember a Time When..

Decisions were made by going 'eeny-meeny-miney-moe'?

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, 'Do Over!'?

'Race issue' meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching The Fireflies Could Happily Occupy An Entire Evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three 'Best Friends'?

Having a Weapon in School meant being caught with a Slingshot?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

'Oly-oly-oxen-free' made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The Worst Embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange - flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have Lived!!!!!!!

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

It took three minutes for the TV to warm up?

If you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have Lived!!!!!!!

I can remember when it took a windows-based system 3 minutes to boot up!

Those WERE the good old days!

Guest Tony n Terrific

Tony, I moved this to Stateside. Hope you don't mind but this is Americana and really belongs here where Candle visitors can see and enjoy it.

Mei Wenti

This thread brings back lots of memories. I remember back when I was maby 4 or 5 and my mother would pick me and my sister up from Kendergarden....sorry about the spelling.........she would driver her old comet down the same road every day going home. There was this boy ...maybe 6 ot 7 that would always throw rocks at the passing cars. I rememebr my mother stopped one day when he threw a rock at her car and told the boy that if he threw another rock at her car that he would be in trouble. A few days later the boy threw a rock at mom's car. She pulled over and spanked the boy RIGHT THERE on the street, and then took him to his house and told his mother what the boy was doing and the mother spanked him again. We laugh every time this story is told, this was back in the 60's.....fast forward to 2010.....how long do you think my mother would be in prison for now :blink:

Guest Tony n Terrific

I was explaining some of this to tai tai and I was telling her how the phone used to work. Remember calling the operator to complete a call? Dial zero and give them the phone number you wanted to call. They punched it in and connected you. I recall trying a long distance once that the operator couldn't get through the first time. She told us to hang up and she would keep trying, when she got through she would ring us back.

You could get the operator and 'reverse the charge' on a long distance call. You could call 'person to person' and not be charged unless the person you wanted to talk with got on the line. If it was a reverse charge, they would also need to accept the fee. Crazy days.

Today you use your phone to watch movies.

I can remember during Christmas time trying to call relatives that moved to California in the 50s. The operator would call you back when a line was available and to complete your call.

Does anyone remember party lines? :blink:

Hey Don, those yellow gold stamps were Top Value stamps, the biggest rival for S&H. I remember most all of those things and often long for the innocence and simplicity of those halcyon years. About going out to a real restaurant, in the little town where I grew up on the southwest coast of Florida (Venice), there was a little restaurant called "The King's Table." I loved it when my folks took us there to eat. I always had roast beef and mashed potatos. It was to die for. And baseball, my God did I ever play baseball, mostly without adults, sunup to sundown in the summer.

I must have lived, Mick, for I remember all those things. How about going next door to borrow a cup of sugar - and actually paying it back later? Do they really pass kids on the next grade now, even if they don't deserve to advance? If true, that explains a lot about why the world is as it is today. It reminds me of the movie, "Idiocracy."

Hey Don, those yellow gold stamps were Top Value stamps, the biggest rival for S&H. I remember most all of those things and often long for the innocence and simplicity of those halcyon years. About going out to a real restaurant, in the little town where I grew up on the southwest coast of Florida (Venice), there was a little restaurant called "The King's Table." I loved it when my folks took us there to eat. I always had roast beef and mashed potatos. It was to die for. And baseball, my God did I ever play baseball, mostly without adults, sunup to sundown in the summer.

My folks had friends up in Venice and we would go visit...we would go to the "King's Table" , now that was a very big deal...I remember that anytime your folks took you out to eat with them it was a big deal.