OT: The Dog House

Glad ya'll enjoyed it.  Damn...it was rough.  Finally got her talking.  TOTAL cultural difference.  Yeah...dogs used to be food.  Now, they are pets.  Pets that eat other dogs $hit and give people rabies.  I had to explain that the standard for care for house dogs in the US is better than what most humans get around the world (at least, my baby gets better medical than I do).  She's really struggling to understand it all.  So, no more kissing in public.  The dog and I will share kisses in secret.

After re reading this thread I came to the conclusion that it is a rather profound display of cultural differences. Not many countries dote on their pets as much as we do. The idea of eating one is abhorent to us. The pet industry in the USA is in the billions of dollars. Like Dave my dog has better health care than I do. He is my kid and I love him dearly. To Bings credit when my 15 year old Cocker spaniel died a year and a half ago she felt sorry for me and suggested I get another dog. Now she worries that Ralph wont like her. I worry she may find him a disgusting animal who licks his privates lol.

Those of us who have been to Europe might add that dogs are allowed into more restaurants than children. Easier to train a dog than a kid, I guess.

Further, I guess you don't get doggie bags - probably kiddie bags :(

Guest blsqueaky

Dave, just loved your post I can say that I can get into doghouse a heck of alot easier that I can get out of one. All I have to do now is when I am there is to pay full price, not let her haggle, doghouse I go.

I did notice my last trip over, more and more people are starting to have both dogs and cats as pets, but then there is an issue there as far as rabies. I know that my wife has already told me that when she gets here, she would just love to have a dog as a pet, and take in the truck with us.

Ohhhh, I have a feeling that I will be in the doghouse again over this.

On a similar note... A couple of years ago two of my Chinese employees came over to my house because they wanted to see where I live. They are two very sweet women from the Toishan area just outside of Guangzhou. At the time I had two cats that belonged to my ex-wife. I was out back showing them my minimal and badly neglected garden and one of them gleefully piped up to say, "You know if you bury the cats back here things will grow very well!"

Yes... to say this is a very big cultural gap is a vast understatement. This would be best defined as "diametrically opposed." Kiss the dog... bury the cats. :(

Great way to start the morning, I was actualy laughing as Bea left!

I guess we are lucky in that we got a cat here and didn't wait until returning. Oh and only a small roof top garden that is doing well.. no need for fertilizer! I just finished a short movie of Tucker at the beach for the first time, last night.. Would you believe it..?... all that sand, all that time and he still ran straight for his litterbox when we got home.

Yes they eat dog here, but haven't seen cat, just the dogs hanging in the doorway around the corner and some kind of animal at the market about the size of one.

What is stranger here and Bea pointed this out around thankgiving, is they sell turkey wings at carrefours but no other part of the turkey.??? hmmm are there wingless turkeys walking around China? :(

The time I spent in BeiJing was short, but while there I saw many people walking their dogs. All purebred. I had the impression they were status symbols. When I got to Chongqing there were fewer dogs, but still purebreds. These folks lived in old rundown apartments with no heat, etc. Rode a rusty bike to work but had a beautiful little dog with and expensive collar.

Just got this from a buddy. Thought I'd pass it on.

Why men would rather have two dogs than two wives:

The later you are, the more excited they are to see you.

Dogs will forgive you for playing with other dogs.

If a dog is gorgeous, other dogs don't hate it.

Dogs don't notice if you call them by another dog's name.

A dog's disposition stays the same all month long.

Dogs like it if you leave a lot of things on the floor.

A dog's parents never visit.

Dogs do not hate their bodies.

Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across.

Dogs like to do their snooping outside rather than in your wallet or desk.

Dogs seldom outlive you.

Dogs can't talk.

Dogs enjoy petting in public.

You never have to wait for a dog; they're ready to go 24-hours a day.

Dogs find you amusing when you're drunk.

Dogs like to go hunting.

Another man will seldom steal your dog.

If you bring another dog home, your dog will happily play with both of you.

A dog will not wake you up at night to ask, "If I died would you get another dog?"

If you pretend to be blind, your dog can stay in your hotel room for free.

If a dog has babies, you can put an ad in the paper and give them away.

A dog will let you put a studded collar on it without calling you a pervert.

A dog won't hold out on you to get a new car.

If a dog smells another dog on you, they don't get mad, they just think it's interesting.

On a car trip, your dog never insists on running the heater.

Dogs don't let magazine articles guide their lives.

When your dog gets old, you can have it put to sleep.

Dogs like to ride in the back of a pickup truck.

Dogs are not allowed in Bloomingdale's or Neiman-Marcus.

If a dog leaves, it won't take half your stuff.

Guest blsqueaky

Something that I read the other day:

If you blow in a dogs face, it will shake it's head and get frustrated,

But you drive down the road, and it will stick its head out of the window, enjoying it,

Now go figure

Guest blsqueaky
Something that I read the other day:

If you blow in a dogs face, it will shake it's head and get frustrated,

But you drive down the road, and it will stick its head out of the window, enjoying it,

Now go figure

Try SCOPE for morning breath. :angry:

Okay Don, still glad that I am home to read this.

Actually today someone told me the real answer to this, but now I can not remember the reasoning, but something to do with the temperature of the breath and the outside air. Heck, I not know. I am just dumb truck driver, like a moderator I know. :P :P

(btw listerine better)