P4 Form Question

Both!

I've heard this of other docs. Why would the US consulate care if any of the docs are filled out in Chinese. It would seem they'd be offering Chinese forms for those who find these easier to fill out. Wouldn't they be just as happy to just receive everything completed in English?

I've heard this of other docs.  Why would the US consulate care if any of the docs are filled out in Chinese.  It would seem they'd be offering Chinese forms for those who find these easier to fill out.  Wouldn't they be just as happy to just receive everything completed in English?

I wondered about this as well. The only thing I have been able to figure out is that pinyin cannot always be translated reliably into chinese characters. With names, I would imagine this is rather important.

I was looking at a copy of the forms. It isn't very specific

EXCEPT that names must be written in both Chinese and Pinyin.

http://www.exit.com/~frank/Visa/

Since half of the instructions are in Chinese, I would assume that the responses could also be in Chinese.

However, as a general rule, it is probably best to write all responses in English unless there is a specific question asking for it in the native language.

------ Clifford ------

Hmmmm, but even on the English forms they have a space where you're required to write the applicant's name in their native script. If this is so, why would they need, or do the really even want, all the forms in both languages filled out?

When my (now ex-) lawyer filled out the P3 docs they only did English versions with Pinyin for Chinese names and addresses. But, of course, they also were going to send in an un-notarized I-134 (which is a P4 doc anyway) and no OF-169 for our P3.

Oh, BTW, have I mentioned what a worthless waste of money immigration lawyers are?

Hmmmm, but even on the English forms they have a space where you're required to write the applicant's name in their native script.  If this is so, why would they need, or do the really even want, all the forms in both languages filled out?

When my (now ex-) lawyer filled out the P3 docs they only did English versions with Pinyin for Chinese names and addresses.  But, of course, they also were going to send in an un-notarized I-134 (which is a P4 doc anyway) and no OF-169 for our P3.

Oh, BTW, have I mentioned what a worthless waste of money immigration lawyers are?

I couldn't possibly agree more............

Thanks for the help, folks. I guess it makes sense to answer the questions in English, though I wonder why the instructions are also in Chinese if they expect English answers...

Not that this applies to me, but what would people do if they have no Chinese name where it asks you for one? Would that be None or N/A? :greenblob:

'How do you do, Mister None.'...

Jerry