Wife is Expecting

One thing I would like to point out to you if you have not already done this.

This applies to just about all employer based medical coverage.

Most insurance companies have a time period of 30 days for altering your coverage due to a "life change", such as getting married. If you didn't use this 30 day window to change your medical coverage when you get/got married, then you have to wait until the "open enrollment" period to do so. I don't know of any company/insurance company that waives this due to a out-of-country marriage.

If you are going to get "remarried" when she arrives, then this is a moot point, but if you intend to use your marriage in China as your actual date of marriage, then I hope you notified your insurance company of your marriage and added her to you policy during that 30 day window. If you did not do that, then getting married again may be your best bet to ensure coverage depending on when the open enrollment is.

Of course, this all depends on the timing of her arrival and the timing of the baby's arrival.

But wherever, whatever, however...CONGRATS!!!!

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most insurance companies have a time period of 30 days for altering your coverage due to a "life change", such as getting married. If you didn't use this 30 day window to change your medical coverage when you get/got married, then you have to wait until the "open enrollment" period to do so. I don't know of any company/insurance company that waives this due to a out-of-country marriage.

If you are going to get "remarried" when she arrives, then this is a moot point, but if you intend to use your marriage in China as your actual date of marriage, then I hope you notified your insurance company of your marriage and added her to you policy during that 30 day window. If you did not do that, then getting married again may be your best bet to ensure coverage depending on when the open enrollment is.

Of course, this all depends on the timing of her arrival and the timing of the baby's arrival.

yeah, good point, they call this avoiding "adverse selection." My insurance (through a university) had a 30 day window after my wife's arrival in the US during which she had to be added to my insurance. Otherwise she had to wait until the next open enrollment.

My insurance also has the same 30 day policy for babies -- must be added no later than 30 days after birth.

Edited by weiaijiayou (see edit history)

Good point, I will need to go talk with my HR Department tomorrow and ask this question. We are using date we were married in Guangzhou as our anniversary date. No reason to get "married" again. We are both hoping the visa will be approved within time for her to get here to give birth. Other wise, i guess i'll be moving to Guangzhou. Which i will say i have no issue with. I'd be glade to move there to be with her.

We'll i won't bore everyone with extended / alternate plans in the event that our wonderful USCIS makes this a painful visa journey.

Dan

My Yu was telling me about a Chinese mother's month of confinement a while ago. She was amazed by my sister and sister-in-law having babies and being out of the hospital withing a couple of days and being up and doing things the day or so after that.

Last month a girl that we see often in a local diner gave birth to twins and brought them to the diner perhaps two days after for friends to see.

I guess western women are tougher in this aspect of life, they can give birth and be back to work at home the next day.

If I were in this situation I would consider immigrating to the USA after having the child, unless you have aspirations of the Child one day becoming the President of the USA.

Many years ago I was working in a manufactured home factory. One of my co-workers got off work on Friday, had her baby that night and was back to work on Monday morning. This was no prissy desk job. She worked in the finish dept out on the assembly line. She was one tough cookie.

how much time will you stop working to look after wife and baby ? 1 month is minimim aspected ..If you dont she may get serious illness later in life

And thus ladies and gentlemen of the court, I rest my case regarding the significant difference between the USA and Chinese view of a baby's birth.

Thanks Jin! :D

Ditto!!

My Yu was telling me about a Chinese mother's month of confinement a while ago. She was amazed by my sister and sister-in-law having babies and being out of the hospital withing a couple of days and being up and doing things the day or so after that.

Last month a girl that we see often in a local diner gave birth to twins and brought them to the diner perhaps two days after for friends to see.

I guess western women are tougher in this aspect of life, they can give birth and be back to work at home the next day.

If I were in this situation I would consider immigrating to the USA after having the child, unless you have aspirations of the Child one day becoming the President of the USA.

I don't think I would say that. I think it is more that we forgot how important it is for a woman to rest after giving birth to a baby because of (1) need for two income families to buy all the toys we want and (2) insurance kicks you out after birth..

how much time will you stop working to look after wife and baby ? 1 month is minimim aspected ..If you dont she may get serious illness later in life

And thus ladies and gentlemen of the court, I rest my case regarding the significant difference between the USA and Chinese view of a baby's birth.

Thanks Jin! :D

Ditto!!

I don't think I would say that. I think it is more that we forgot how important it is for a woman to rest after giving birth to a baby because of (1) need for two income families to buy all the toys we want and (2) insurance kicks you out after birth..

Talked with my HR Department today and I was told that the insurance from my company says that as the wife enters the country they will take the date of the stamp in her passport as a significant event in our lives to use as a date to enroll her in my Medical plan. So, again waiting on the USCIS. Still no receipt number for I-130....... "the Games Begin"

• 3 weeks later...

I dont see a problem with electronic processing its now fast

However does she want baby in china ?

No, she want's it born here

Yeah, but the baby would have dual citizenship to age 18 if it was born in China.

China does not accept dual citizenship and has gotten sly at figuring out who has USC.

I dont see a problem with electronic processing its now fast

However does she want baby in china ?

No, she want's it born here

Yeah, but the baby would have dual citizenship to age 18 if it was born in China.

China does not accept dual citizenship and has gotten sly at figuring out who has USC.

I have finally gotten all of my wife's doctors letters translated and i have an info pass appointment on monday to submit my Service request for Expedite. Who knows until you try and we are going to try. After NOA2, we are going to file electronically. But the faster it get's through USCIS the better we are while waiting for our interview date in Guangzhou. I also understand there are different thoughts when it comes to contacting your senator about help. But i have also done this too. Maybe just maybe they will help out.

Cheers

Dan