Wife is Expecting

Greetings; We'll yesterday the wife called me and told me that after my last trip, we'll she is now pregnant with our first child.. Now i am even more nervous and stressed out. Is it possible to expedite her visa? Has anyone ever heard of trying to or actually getting a I-130 expedited? From what i understand she will not be able to travel after her 6th month, true? I truly hope we can get this expedited in time for her to give birth here in the US. If not, i guess I'll be moving to Guangzhou.

Any information would be helpful. Oh, just for the fun of it i wrote a lawyer a co-worker of mine knows. He said that he doubts very much that she will be here in time for the birth of our child. I hope he is wrong, can't trust lawyers.. I am sure if i gave him a few thousand, he'd say sure anything is possible.

We'll thanks for listening again..

Dan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately pregnancy is not a reason that USCIS will accept to Expedite.

The criteria are as follows:
  • Severe financial loss to company or individual

• Extreme emergent situation

• Humanitarian situation

• Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States

• Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)

• USCIS error

• Compelling interest of USCIS

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

I agree with Jin. I think if she passes her interview on the first try, she can be here in plenty of time.

A couple other things to consider:

Will she have medical insurance in the US? If not, it's probably going to be very expensive.

Will she be able to understand the doctors and nurses, or, if not, will you be able to translate for her? You'll have to be able to communicate well enough to discuss and understand important issues such as whether or not to do various procedures, what potential effects they could have on her and the baby, and their various probabilities of occurring.

I dont see a problem with electronic processing its now fast

However does she want baby in china ?

No, she want's it born here

Yeah, but the baby would have dual citizenship to age 18 if it was born in China.

As of now, we are going to hope that her visa get's approved within time. I have read that I can make an infoPass appointment at my local USCIS office and request a "service request" to expedite based on a medical. Therefore, the wife will get a letter from her doctor, translate it and then email to me. Additionally once the wife arrives, she will have full medical insurance. With all that said, I am hoping that everything will go well for us.

Dan

I dont see a problem with electronic processing its now fast

However does she want baby in china ?

No, she want's it born here

Yeah, but the baby would have dual citizenship to age 18 if it was born in China.

As of now, we are going to hope that her visa get's approved within time. I have read that I can make an infoPass appointment at my local USCIS office and request a "service request" to expedite based on a medical. Therefore, the wife will get a letter from her doctor, translate it and then email to me. Additionally once the wife arrives, she will have full medical insurance. With all that said, I am hoping that everything will go well for us.

Dan

Might as well try for it while you're waiting. You could also try once the case gets to GUZ. I believe GUZ has said that they would not expedite a case based on pregnancy, but I think I remember a case where they did (and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they acted inconsistently on this issue, as a lot of treatment seems to go on a case by case basis).

As for "dual citizenship up to age 18," after reading a couple other recent threads on this topic, I don't believe the "dual citizenship" has much value -- as soon as the baby leaves for the first time on his/her American passport, he or she will then be American and not Chinese. At least this is how I've understood the explanations posted by others...

and Congratulations. ;)

Thank You, I guess another down side for me is that I am now worrying about her health and all things that she does now. Only thing I can do is to try once I get the doctors letter. It doesn't hurt to try, and as it has been said there is no real consistency with the US Government on Any thing..

Dan

you can certainly try some things but just don't expect any handouts. I personally would be surprised if USCIS did anything; but GUZ has shown more than once in the past they *might* expedite although their party line is NO.

The main issue will probably be if she delivers in china, she will need at least a month to recover; if born in the US, she could be shocked by the lack of help she has. But it varies quite a bit.

you can certainly try some things but just don't expect any handouts. I personally would be surprised if USCIS did anything; but GUZ has shown more than once in the past they *might* expedite although their party line is NO.

The main issue will probably be if she delivers in china, she will need at least a month to recover; if born in the US, she could be shocked by the lack of help she has. But it varies quite a bit.

Good point David. Also it is typical for the husband's mother to take care of the daughter-in-law during the marriage and after. The birth of a child here is taken more seriously especially for the mother's health than in the USA (at least in my view). No one here expects the mother will be up and back to work after a few weeks.

Might as well try for it while you're waiting. You could also try once the case gets to GUZ. I believe GUZ has said that they would not expedite a case based on pregnancy, but I think I remember a case where they did (and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they acted inconsistently on this issue, as a lot of treatment seems to go on a case by case basis).

As for "dual citizenship up to age 18," after reading a couple other recent threads on this topic, I don't believe the "dual citizenship" has much value -- as soon as the baby leaves for the first time on his/her American passport, he or she will then be American and not Chinese. At least this is how I've understood the explanations posted by others...

I wonder if it would work if the baby was born in the US? He could get a Chinese passport (because of his Chinese parent) through a Chinese consulate, and then get an American passport. No exit visa would be needed. One catch would be that he would be unable to enter China on the Chinese passport, since an exit visa would be required - so, like you say, it doesn't seem to have much value.

Good point David. Also it is typical for the husband's mother to take care of the daughter-in-law during the marriage and after. The birth of a child here is taken more seriously especially for the mother's health than in the USA (at least in my view). No one here expects the mother will be up and back to work after a few weeks.

All good points, sure a lot to think about. Now, we can only concentrate on getting everything done for her visa here. But in retrospect, I-130 sent so we are now in wait mode. But I will try for an expedite, cannot hurt and you never know. As far as support goes, it is my first baby, so I will do all I can. But I guess we will need to talk more about her mom traveling..

Dan