China has a new milk scare

Guest Tony n Terrific

Thanks for letting me know about your laugh, which is what I was trying for. I still bring this up sometimes and she still defends herself. Now that I know how important the underlying issue was I will mention to her that I really understand what it was all about now. But she nearly killed her new man, phew! I hope those cans when empty got recycled for something, like maybe artillery practice targets.

Thanks for letting me know about your laugh, which is what I was trying for. I still bring this up sometimes and she still defends herself. Now that I know how important the underlying issue was I will mention to her that I really understand what it was all about now. But she nearly killed her new man, phew! I hope those cans when empty got recycled for something, like maybe artillery practice targets.

Ying would take powdered milk to China too! And baby food.

It's just a mess over there. Will it get better. Sure. But I think it's

going to take more than 1 generation to fix it.

Greed is the operative word.

No offense to the Chinese people, it's the way it is.

With so many people you have to hustle or you're quickly left behind. I don't see Chinese as any more greedy than the West. Here we know we'll get caught doing some of these dangerous acts such as milk contamination. There, they hope it all gets lost in the crowd (my guess). But just look at the financial shenagans of the past 10 years...nope we're actually greedier than they are (IMHO).

YMMV

With so many people you have to hustle or you're quickly left behind. I don't see Chinese as any more greedy than the West. Here we know we'll get caught doing some of these dangerous acts such as milk contamination. There, they hope it all gets lost in the crowd (my guess). But just look at the financial shenagans of the past 10 years...nope we're actually greedier than they are (IMHO).

YMMV

Exactly...

Infant/Children's Tylenol (McNeil Recall) didn't exactly make me all that happy about our products here either.

Doesn't it seem now, in this day and age, that we have to be even more vigilant, even more careful, about so many products out there for all family members?!

You have to add me to the list of those that goat sheep (maybe) mule through airports with unwieldy cans of infant formula too... :baby:

YMMV

It's not just greedy ; it's the sick mentality as a result of cultural revolution . They can't see just even one step ahead .

Steve, I think you are right to call it greed, or avarice, but I think bullm_ is right also, There is a horrible anxiety inbred by the so called cultural revolution which leads to a lack of ethics. It is not just anxiety either, it is really a kind of insanity which Mao infected the country with, really and truly a "sick mentality." It is inhuman. People who don't know somebody with a full dose of that time may not know what I'm talking about. China needs to recognize this and try to do something about it on a national scale, but they sweep it under the rug. And the individuals who have this sickness have no precedent to imitate to deal with it.

Yeah, the Cultural Revolution tore China apart.

But it was more of a continuation, in my estimation, since the fall of the last dynasty > revolution (Sun Yat Sen) > war lords > Kumingtang/Communists > Brutal Japanese occupation > resolution of the civil war (Communist rule) > Mao's dictatorship... Cultural Revolution.... So what does China really have for stability and, evolution to a society under the rule of law? 30 years? Not much.

People who have known only poverty for generations are going to grab for every opportunity they can to better their situation, and one thing the west can't argue with----- current China offers plenty of those opportunities..

• 9 years later...

2020 update - from the Sixth Tone

China Faces Yet Another Poison Baby Formula Scandal

• With 5 Kids Sick, Hunan Authorities Investigate ‘Infant Formula’
  • After parents noticed their children’s heads had become swollen, a media investigation found that they had been consuming a protein powder drink instead of hypoallergenic infant formula.
Five children in Chenzhou, Hunan province have been diagnosed with rickets after consuming Bei An Min powdered beverage product, a protein mix that parents say staff at a baby product store described as a milk formula substitute for their dairy-allergic babies, state broadcaster CCTV reported Wednesday, citing local media.
According to the report, after the five babies showed adverse reactions to milk, doctors at an unnamed local hospital diagnosed them as allergic to dairy, and recommended the parents opt for amino acid-based formula instead. The parents of the five children went to the same store, a local branch of the chain Love Baby’s Workshop, where Bei An Min was recommended to them as the “best choice” for babies with dairy allergies.