What is required of me before applying?

I know there are a lot of papers involved in submitting an application for the fiancee visa, but before that even happens, where should I be? Do I need to be making a certain amount of money, or have a certain amount saved up, before applying? How much proof of a relationship do they require? Are pictures of the two of us together enough, or do I need to be saving copies of plane tickets, phone transactions, etc.?

Applying for the fiancee visa would be a long ways off, I just want to know what I should be doing now before we get serious about getting engaged and married.

Firstly, study the FAQ pages on this site.

Look for "Front Loading" as regards to what extra should be sent to USCIS.

As for income requirements, this is an issue at the time of visa interview NOT when filing an I-129F for a fiancee visa.

Photos: Should be a few together with recognizable landmarks, a few with fiancee's family is recommended too.

Evidence of having met within two years of filing the petition, keep all airline tickets, hotel receipts, ATM receipts, etc, anything with dates that show you were in the same place with fiancee.

Firstly, study the FAQ pages on this site.

Look for "Front Loading" as regards to what extra should be sent to USCIS.

As for income requirements, this is an issue at the time of visa interview NOT when filing an I-129F for a fiancee visa.

Photos: Should be a few together with recognizable landmarks, a few with fiancee's family is recommended too.

Evidence of having met within two years of filing the petition, keep all airline tickets, hotel receipts, ATM receipts, etc, anything with dates that show you were in the same place with fiancee.

and Welcome!

Even if you don't study the requirements, if you have a normal relationship involving daily communication and occasional visits (assuming you're not living in China), you will be naturally accumulating the stuff that you'll eventually need to petition the USCIS and apply at the consulate. Phone records, emails, pictures, actual physical letters, descriptions of your relationship and memories of your experiences ... those are the types of things you'll use to substantiate your relationship and that you'll already have just from being in the relationship. For instance, if your girlfriend got a letter in the mail from you, she wouldn't throw it away, even if it wasn't needed to apply for a visa, right? Later, when you decide to petition USCIS, this is the kind of stuff you let them know about.

The income comes into play once you're approved by USCIS and your case goes to Guangzhou.

Good luck when you decide to apply.

Edited by weiaijiayou (see edit history)

Welcome to CFL. You will make friends here to help you pass the time while you navigate the visa process. Don't be shy about posting, just jump right in. Here is a link to some other links that will help you navigate CFL and the visa process. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=193914

I know there are a lot of papers involved in submitting an application for the fiancee visa, but before that even happens, where should I be? Do I need to be making a certain amount of money, or have a certain amount saved up, before applying? How much proof of a relationship do they require? Are pictures of the two of us together enough, or do I need to be saving copies of plane tickets, phone transactions, etc.?

Applying for the fiancee visa would be a long ways off, I just want to know what I should be doing now before we get serious about getting engaged and married.

Clark, Before you apply, just keep reading, and reading here. It may take a while to get a good understanding of what the Guangzhou Visa Officer will REALLY require. The basic requirements will work for some people that are lucky to get a fair Officer, but if you have the bad luck to get a Butthead Visa Officer, you will need 110% in requirements. It is up to the Visa Officer's ""Discretion"", meaning his/her, ""Personal Opinion"" of getting a Visa. Communications between you and your Fiancee can be very important. Start saving, and documenting (date-time) emails, chats, anything showing communicating. Read here why some of us got a denial on our first Interview, and you get a good idea how to improve on your situation. Here you will see the term, "RED FLAG", that is something that will get a denial. Once you take care of all the Red Flags, you can think of what may be "weak points", where you can make improvements, such as better photos, letters from family members, an extra trip, etc. Just keep reading here, and asking questions, Good Luck, ...Bob.... :)