Interview - Waiting Background Check

My wife went for her AOS interview on 08/14/2003 (New Orleans office). BCIS interviewer could not stamp her passport as he said that the FBI background check was not complete. He said it should take about 3 to 4 more weeks before it would be complete.

Almost 4 months later and no word from the BCIS office. Has anyone experienced the same problem? How long can a background check take?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Filled AOS on 03/12/2003

Interview on 08/14/2003

Background Check - MIA

It really galls me that they (BCIS) sees the necessity to duplicate all these damn security checks after they have already done them prior to issuing the visa. What you are going through is another example of what they did during the Black Hole. Give you the interview but not the stamp because of the need for more security checks. This is insanity, pure and simple. It is a pain in the butt every step of the way.

Atlanta BCIS, the last time I checked, was almost two and one half years behind in processing AOS applications. I would bet a dollar to a donut that they don't even begin the namecheck process until they get around to your application. At this rate, the AOS bottleneck will make the Visa Black Hole waiting times look like greased lightening. :)

I am not sure how they submit the background checks for AOS cases here in NYC, but as soon as my wife had her fingerprints done at a local ACS about a week later the case status was updated with the acknowledgement of fingerprints result. I called FBI infoline that day and the lady told me the "result went back to the INS service center the same day they submit it". Maybe you should contact FBI directly and simply provide them with the A-number.

I think Don posted recently that AOS involves a check through the IBIS system, which stands for Interagency Border Inspection System. It was instituted by Ashcroft and involves a centralized data base of at least 23 Federal Agencies. Now, if I am not mistaken, doing an IBIS check is a duplication of a duplication. From what I was told at GZ, cases are run through the IBIS system as a part of the security process prior to the issuance of the visa. Further, as of November 1 2002, all major ports of entry were supposedly conncected to the IBIS system. If a wanted criminal came through the port of entry, the computer system would register an immeditate "hit". In fact, I recall an reading an article where Ashcroft was bragging about how the IBIS system had already resulted in the nabbing of 70 fugitives during the first month of implementation. So, if our loved ones are run through IBIS prior to getting the visa, again by the computer at port of entry, why the heck do they have to go through it again for AOS? :) :( ;)

My wife and daughter had AOS interview on 11/20 and passed interview and no stamp was given and told we should get a letter in three weeks to return to get stamp,I wont hold my breath. Also they had lost my daughters packet. So I guess we are waiting on the security check also. At least I have my family here with me and not in the black hole like last November.

Thanks for the replies. Just trying to see if USCIS has lost any paper work or has forgotten about us. Past performance is not a great indicator of future performance with this agency. In 2001 they lost our I-129 and it set us back 6 months in an already 12 to 16 month process.

Called the FBI, and they said the background check was finished. Went back to the USCIS office yesterday and was told the background check was "pending".

I can attest that after 9/11 the US government has slowed down the visa process both domestically and internationally. My wife and I are the most terrorism free couple in the US, after my polygraph test for my job and my wife's DOS and now pending FBI check.

:D

Atlanta BCIS, the last time I checked, was almost two and one half years behind in processing AOS applications. I would bet a dollar to a donut that they don't even begin the namecheck process until they get around to your application. At this rate, the AOS bottleneck will make the Visa Black Hole waiting times look like greased lightening.  :lol:

My wife keeps wanting me to go ahead and file for her AOS. It is not going anywhere even if I do go ahead and send the papers to the bottomless pit that is the Atlanta BCIS. It would be more productive for me to actually pick up and MOVE my place of residence so that I could file in an area that has better service.

What is amazing about all this infernal background checking, besides the duplication, is the fact that the person is already here in the country. If I were a terrorist bent on doing something harmful, I could sure get it done faster than the feds can complete the background check. I agree with the governments attempts to create a secure environment, that's their job after all. But Lord, there has to be a better way.

And if the terrorists had the backing of a national government with financial resources, high tech communication gear, intelligence, training, spycraft, and so on then there is absolutely no way they could be caught. So the guys like Ashcroft are creating a false sense of security while investigating sweet loving ladies in a completely misguided focus.