Which city has the highest foreign tourism rates?

For China Beijing, followed by Shanghai and Hong Kong would rank up there, other tourist cities are Xi'an and Guilin.

Guangzhou is considered to be more of an Industrial City, and is not noted for tourism.

I have visited all but Hong Kong, my wife is from Guilin beautiful place, I have also visited Yangshuo down river from Guilin, which is even prettier than Guilin, Yangshuo is a back-packer's and mountain climber's town, many western tourist vist there but it is lesser known that the other hot spots in China.

Beijing.

Really?

For the olympics i could have expected that, but even now?

I was thinkin hong kong mostly becuase of ease- no visa needed kinda thing.

Not for the olympics. Beijing is the Capital, many things to do around that city, like:
  • Great Wall
  • Forbidden City
  • Summer Palace
  • Tianimen Square
  • Museums
  • Peking Opera
  • the list is LONG

hmmm guess so.... thanks for the quick responses guys!

For some reason it just looks like there are more non-chinese in hong kong though.... probably cuz of the overall population in comparison to beijing?

Keep in mind H.K. Was for years a colony of Great Britten many citizens there are from all over the world, so many people you see there are not tourists they are residents. Beijing on the other hand is mainland China, and up till not long ago cut off from the west, so what you see is a higher tourist count from the west, but again many are resident.

The Sanya (Hainan) beaches around the first of the year appeared to be about 50-75% Russians, with a smattering of Europeans and Americans. Not a lot compared to other cities by numbers, but by percentages, definitely a contender.

I think most everyone is pretty much on target. Except, be it known that Hong Kong is by far the most expensive.

Also, when you're in any of these large cities, like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and so forth, just know that you will pay more for things if you hang around the laowai districts.

Don't try to do the negotiating yourself for things. If you go to expensive tourist areas, then you will pay more. As soon as you get out of the tourist districts, all prices fall right back in line with most everywhere else in China.

--edit--

Oh yeah,

Beijing/Peking Duck

Mutianyu for the Great Wall

Hutong area

Dancing girls

Massage parlors

Street food

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

hmmm guess so.... thanks for the quick responses guys!

For some reason it just looks like there are more non-chinese in hong kong though.... probably cuz of the overall population in comparison to beijing?

Keep in mind H.K. Was for years a colony of Great Britten many citizens there are from all over the world, so many people you see there are not tourists they are residents. Beijing on the other hand is mainland China, and up till not long ago cut off from the west, so what you see is a higher tourist count from the west, but again many are resident.

Ah, ya, thats true.

The Sanya (Hainan) beaches around the first of the year appeared to be about 50-75% Russians, with a smattering of Europeans and Americans. Not a lot compared to other cities by numbers, but by percentages, definitely a contender.

Hm, that is interesting.

I think most everyone is pretty much on target. Except, be it known that Hong Kong is by far the most expensive.

Also, when you're in any of these large cities, like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and so forth, just know that you will pay more for things if you hang around the laowai districts.

Don't try to do the negotiating yourself for things. If you go to expensive tourist areas, then you will pay more. As soon as you get out of the tourist districts, all prices fall right back in line with most everywhere else in China.

Oh, god yea.

Thats something thats always pissed me off- the way that its all taylored to laowais'.

But, thats the Chinese for ya. The only country in the world to have businessmen represented on its own flag.

Oh, god yea.

Thats something thats always pissed me off- the way that its all taylored to laowais'.

But, thats the Chinese for ya. The only country in the world to have businessmen represented on its own flag.

Yangshuo is a awsome place. We rented a moter bike for 100RMB a day. We road in the countryside. Best time i had in China.

Oh, god yea.

Yangshuo is a awsome place. We rented a moter bike for 100RMB a day. We road in the countryside. Best time i had in China.

My profile picture was taken in Yangshuo