Frequent Flyer Miles

If you're going to be traveling between China and the US a lot, it seems like it'd be a good idea to invest in a frequent flyer program, but what's the best way to go about this? I'm not sure where to even start.

Use one that is in the Star Alliance or the Delta/NW programs. It's easier to accumulate and track the miles. Be aware that JAL is talking about switching from Star Alliance to Delta - WorldPerks. Look at your destination cities in China - and work from there. I usually fly Business class - and my routes usually involve China Airlines and JAL. JAL is again now under bankruptcy protection and rumor has it they will give up some international routes to ANA. Again, the whole issue is routes you will be flying, number of flights, and flexibility of seats.

Not meant as a PUN - "Your Mileage May Vary".

Yep since most of my travel between US and China has been through Chicago using United, I applied for the United Mileage card, got a lot of bonus miles and was able to score several free tickets for domestic flights in the USA.

The miles to and from China add up in a hurry. Also United is part of the star alliance so can ge miles from their other partners.

Yes, this is a great idea. I am a Delta Sky Miles member and so is my wife. The miles we had built up brought both of her parents here. It only cost us for taxes and fees, so it was a total of about $70 to bring two people to Portland from Hong Kong.

The best place to start would be to identify the route from US to China which would be your preference. This would give you an idea of the airlines on which you would most likely be booking flights. Then look at their partner airlines to see if between the main carrier and partners they would cover most of your routes between US and China. Once you have identified a airline carrier, sign up for their frequent flier program.

My next suggestion is to sign up for their Miles Credit Card. This will serve several purposes. The first being as long as you show usage on the credit card monthly, the miles you have in your account will never expire. This can be huge. Second, push all your bills and expenses through this card and your miles will build up much quicker than you could ever get through flying alone. One word of caution. These credit cards are always 18% interest or higher. Never, never, never under any circumstances carry a balance forward. Always pay these cards off at the end of every month. No exceptions!!! Have an addition card or a credit line with much lower interest rate for purchases you will not pay off at the end of the month. As long as you are extremely well disciplined, you can build up lots of air miles. The first time you carry a balance, you can get in big trouble.

Yep since most of my travel between US and China has been through Chicago using United, I applied for the United Mileage card, got a lot of bonus miles and was able to score several free tickets for domestic flights in the USA.

The miles to and from China add up in a hurry. Also United is part of the star alliance so can ge miles from their other partners.

I got a debit card from Chase and got 25000 miles for signing up. I use it for gas and groceries and with 2 trips to China i got the third ticket

almost free for her interview. It is a Continental Card and it is also part of star alliance.

I got a debit card from Chase and got 25000 miles for signing up. I use it for gas and groceries and with 2 trips to China i got the third ticket

almost free for her interview. It is a Continental Card and it is also part of star alliance.

I enjoy Continental, and am happy they just became a partner with Star Alliance, although I will miss not being about to get miles on Continental through China Southern (they were part of one pass when Continental was). As a side note, Air China is part of the Star Alliance (which also includes, US Airways, Continental, United, and Air Canada)

Yep I have that one too.

http://www.cardtrak.com/media/images/200501/19a.jpg

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name...age/home_united