So you all think you have it tough waiting!!

A close woman friend of mine has been in the US Army Reserves for 24 years and she is now 43. She has served 10 months in Desert Storm, 8 months in Kosovo, and was just informed this week that her unit is being activated for no less then (16) sixteen months. She did chose to join the Reserves and has done more then her part....

Typical US Military, her unit was notified on Monday, 11/24/03, they have to report to Fort Drum, in New York on Wednesday, December 10, 2003, for 4-8 weeks oreintation and training, before heading to Iraq.. Don't worry about Christmas, we will keep you busy..

Now I know a lot of us think our lives have been on hold as we wait for this unbearable Visa mess to run its course. Although it does take quite a bit of time, at least as you receive your P-3, P-4, you have some semblance of when your process may be finished. Also at any time we can choose to fly to wherever our loved ones may be.

Well my friend and all the other Military people serving in Iraq, and all over the world do not have this luxury.

Now I know people will say people choose to join the reserves to stay out of the regular service. This may have been true at one time, but now our Reservists, and National Guardman, have now become our first line of defense.

Never forget that because of the sacrifices made by our Military through out our short history gives each and every one us the FREEDOM to be able to pursue relationships any where in the world.. This FREEDOM was not just handed to us like so many people think, simply because they have never known it to be any other way.

Yesterday when we were all giving thanks for what we have, did any of you think to thank the people in the Military unable to be with their families!!!

Bob,

First I want to say is, Yes I did think about the U.S Forces. I have served my country many years ago and have been through situations that only some can appreciate or relate to. I presently have 2 Nephews which have both been in the fighting in Baghdad and Kuwait. One has sense finished his obligations with the Marines but the other has been told he may be going back for another year after he had been there for almost 1 1/2 years and in the fighting.

I think of them everyday and hope for the safety of him and the others.

About the waiting! Being told that your job is going to take you away from the people you love and place you in harms way, is far different than waiting to be united with your loved ones and not know just when the wait will be over with. As for the Military, at least the individual is given some kind of notice as to when they will leave, what will happen prior to embarking to the final destination and a some what GOOD idea as to when they should return home.

I'm not saying that the military is always fair, but what job is these days. Layoffs, mergers resulting to shop / location closings, etc.....

No one should ever need to wait to be with or to be safe with thier family and loved ones. It is my opinion that a comparison with K1/K3 Visa's and the military is not a fair comparison. Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to those that must leave thier families behind this Christmas season. Unfortunately terrorisim doesn't use a calendar and Freedom always has a price.

I'm going to stop now before I get ranting on. But I tell you again, this is only how I see it and nothing else.

Bryan

Bryan, the only point I thought was making, was that if you are only waiting for your fiance/spousal visa, and I personally waited over a year. Things could certainly be a lot worse. So count your blessings that you are not in the position of my friend, and thousands of others!!!!!

Personally I was in country, in the class of "67/68" Vietnam!!!!!!

:D :lol: :V:

Yes, being told to fight in a war that you may or may not support is very difficult. Most of the reservists do have families and stable jobs back home, and it is difficult to be dragged away from them on a week's notice.

However, your friend has been receiving a paycheck from the US Government for 24 years as a reservist. What is it? 1 weekend a month + 2 weeks a year…. Over $20K. Not too bad. But, like it or not, the training at home is so that she will be ready should the country need help in times of war. And, her heading to Iraq now will likely help other men and women come home for Christmas.

Now, I do believe that invading other countries because we don't like their government is a stretch for calling it National Defense. But, at this point, we are in too deep to pull out either.

Yes, I did choose to start dating a foreign woman. And, if I had to choose again, I would do the same thing.

But, at this point, it would be stretching things a lot to say that I should spend my Thanksgiving and Christmas separate from a loved one is a sacrifice I should take for National Defense and Freedom.

---- Clifford -----

Bob,

With all due respect I don't understand your comparison either. Being grateful for the servicemen (and women) of our country is totaly seperate from my distaste and intolerance at being mislead by our government in the visa process.

Fact #1: Government personal told me 6 months to complete the entire visa process.

Fact #2: my NOA#1 clearly stated 60-90 days. It took over 150 for approval.

Fact #3: my NOA#2 clearly states 2-4 weeks. It has been over 11 weeks and no approval, denial or further information available (not to mention is expires before GZ will probably get it).

I am not ignoring others who have waited much longer, but keep in mind, I was not aware of all these informative boards until it was obvious our government grossly mislead me. Like many others I trusted what I was told and planned my life accordingly. Now my fiance and I are mildly suffering hardship. If I was told 1 to 1 1/2 years to begin with then no problem. We would have planned our lives differently.

Still that has nothing to do with my feelings for our military. I was and remain grateful for their service and sacrifices.

Louis

Bryan, the only point I thought was making, was that if you are only waiting for your fiance/spousal visa, and I personally waited over a year.  Things could certainly be a lot worse. So count your blessings that you are not in the position of my friend, and thousands of others!!!!!

Personally I was in country, in the class of "67/68" Vietnam!!!!!!

:o    :o :o

Class of 68-69 here Bob! Medical Corps.

I spent 6 active and 6 reserve I can honestly say the military is no place for a family, Their(solider) mind needs to be on the job at hand not if their family has food or shelter, this sounds cold but it is how I see it and yes I was married when I was in she is the reason I got out of the Army.

The point I was trying to make is even though you think the current visa process is useless, be glad that you are not in the reserves.

I also believe anyone that has joined any type of reserves in the last 15 years do realize just how quickly they may be called up.

We are all just sitting here safe and sound just waiting for the visa to be issued. This is much better then going off to Iraq, or some where else.

Just becaues it seems to be taking forever your life is not in any danger.

Well -- since I have a few extra spare moments on my hands............

I used to catch sh*t from "veterans" (you know, those guys who never tasted war who drove generals in jeeps for four years) for not having served. I was born in a time of choice -- I can't help that. Military service did cross my mind. But, when I considered http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-003.gif vs. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-089.gif, the decision was simple. Sure I'm proud of those who serve and who have served. But, I'm tired of it being thrown in into an argument for sentimentality purposes. It has no bearing here. Whether you are doctor, lawyer, injun chief....etc., we are all USCs. Each afforded no more or no fewer opportunities and rights as the next.

Those serving now were not kidnapped from their homes at gun point. Nor, did their government force them to go (unlike many countries today -- even Switzerland!). They were adults who signed the dotted line. Who knows what their motivation was? Specialized training for use in the private sector? School grants? Having a chance at a better life because they were high school screw-ups? I doubt many thought, "Gee, I hope to put my life down for my country." Think I'm wrong? Look at today's bitching from our armed forces. "Oh...it's too long." "Oh...I'm not getting enough emails." "Oh...long distance is too expensive." What the hell??? Do you think the folks on Normandy Beach had these thoughts? NO! A letter once a month sustained them. Now, it's the "what's in it for me generation." I'm certain each soldier is providing the best service they can to our country. But, their complaining (and that of their families) has become so annoying. Sure I understand homesickness. But, do the families remember that their loved ones are their by decisions they made? Do the families know that their protests are actually making things worse for our troops? Every CNN story carried affects voters. Voters get pissed about it and contact congress. Political pressures are placed on the administration to do things they shouldn't just to keep people "happy." Well...those who know what it means to fight -- really fight -- know iit's not a time to be all "happy." Do the job you agreed to do, shut up, and come home proud.

Oops...kind of lost it there. Just got on one of those rolls, I guess.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-075.gif

I absolutely have my greatest respects for the people who volunteered to defend our country. They are heros even if they have not fired a single shot. The idea to sign up for the service made them heros.

However, if there is no war, then they don't have to go. Who started the war??? Who screwed up the intelligence??? Who are the ones to suffer??? And who else will suffer from their mistakes??? How many more will die??? How long we will suffer???

It's not fair that we suffer the pain which we don't need.

I think this thread has gotten a little off track, the original point was we all complain about how long it takes for the "visa" there are others that have it worse then us, the military is just one of many examples.

Now a comment on the way this thread is going :D

Dave made some good points but I think a little to broad many people go in the military for many reasons I went for the education fund, then found out $8100 wont get me shit for education, since I was Recon there was not much call for that in the real world so I re-upped to get the training which helped me get my foot in the door in job when I got out.

He is right when you sign on the dotted line you gave up your right to complain about how your life is going, you are there to do a job regardless of why you joined.

One thing I will disagree with Dave is many do join just to go to war there is glory in coming back alive, ask a recruiter everytime there is a military conflict kids flock into join with no thought to what they are doing all they see is the glory. Most are not eligible to join and the rest wake up after they hit basic training.