Airlines: New rules keep passengers in seats

every air line should provide air marshals at least 2 on every single flight regardless if domestic or international flight... this should fix most of the terrorist problems, it's probably expensive but it's well worth it..

I agree, that's a good idea. I imagine that it hasn't been implemented due to profit loss. There's the cost of hiring the air marshal(s) and the opportunity cost of not selling the 1 or 2 tickets that could've been paid for by customers. It's a small price to pay for safety though.

I also read an article in which a passenger passed his back pack through TSA screening without any problems. Then on the plane he realized his 4" folding knife was still in his bag. He remarked that more competent screeners were needed rather than more complex restrictions that didn't make sense.

Make sure you check in early with these new regulation.

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...ngers_in_seats/

"Some airlines were telling passengers on Saturday that new government security regulations prohibit them from leaving their seats beginning an hour before landing"

Never heard anything about this on my flight on Continental.

Just got off the from AZ about an hour ago and passengers where up a walking around within minutes of landing

That is because DHS is "tricky" .... Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a statement Saturday that passengers flying to the U.S. from overseas may notice extra security, but she said the measures "are designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere."

DHS nor TSA could wipe their ass if you handed them the toliet paper and showed them how to do it. They knew of this guy and did not even have him on the no-fly list. Also don't forget it was screening in Europe that missed this one .. which means the screening worldwide is useless because in my experience international screening is better than TSA in the USA ... these clowns usually speak worse english than I ever hear in China and look as if they could care less what they do except to get off on their power/authority to be able to push passengers around and talk/treat them rudely.

But we, Americans, seem to love to give up freedoms in the name of national security while telling China they have no freedoms.

So lets put another layer of BS, paid for by your taxes, in place that provides more jobs for morons to occupy while doing nothing to resolve the security issues. We have known for years that the effective screening rate was poor but the govt never addressed the issues but rather lied/BS their way out of the testing results.

Now we want to add more layers and have others endorsing air marshalls on the planes. How will the marshalls know which passengers passed security with a bomb? If it make you feel good to have someone on the plane with a gun I rather have a military guard/police or be allowed to carry my own.

It's suffice to say that the bad guys made their point.

Even if their initial motives weren't achieved, the secondary effects have left (and will continue to leave) their marks on all of us for a long time.

Exactly. The bad guys know the government will impose more harassing regulations, and the news media will give the bad guys free advertising of their deeds.

It's suffice to say that the bad guys made their point.

Even if their initial motives weren't achieved, the secondary effects have left (and will continue to leave) their marks on all of us for a long time.

Exactly. The bad guys know the government will impose more harassing regulations, and the news media will give the bad guys free advertising of their deeds.

Good points.

Back in the 1960's Ho Chi Minh and his boyz figured out how to beat America's leaders...just keep up the pressure in Vietnam and let America's news media beat the American public into submission.

Only figures the rest of the worlds bad guys would follow suit and jump on the band wagon to success.

Sometimes I think, who needs enemies? We pull the claws out of our paws, then pussy foot around with people who are stone cold serious about our demise.

I don't see any change either. :ph34r:

tsap seui

I guess rules are easing now. Good news for travellers.

--------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...avel_headaches/

"In-flight security rules have been eased after a two-day clampdown, airline officials familiar with the matter said Monday.

At the captain's discretion, passengers can once again have blankets and other items on their laps or move about the cabin during the tail end of flight. In-flight entertainment restrictions have also been lifted."

The easiest and best way to ensure nothing gets on the plane that isn't supposed to is to train the flight crew of the aircraft to do the screening. If someone that has to fly on that plane is doing the screening, it stands a better chance of getting done right!

Yes, that means more money spend as the screening would get done at each gate or at each airline's specific terminal. But the upside is that all the dolts that do the screening now...would be unemployed!

The easiest and best way to ensure nothing gets on the plane that isn't supposed to is to train the flight crew of the aircraft to do the screening. If someone that has to fly on that plane is doing the screening, it stands a better chance of getting done right!

Yes, that means more money spend as the screening would get done at each gate or at each airline's specific terminal. But the upside is that all the dolts that do the screening now...would be unemployed!

whos screening the screeners ?

That is the point. The TSA, DHS, and every other alphabet soup govt organization knows they have a problem with the screeners (and if they dont you only have to watch them in action to see their just "might" be a problem) based upon their internal measures and outside organizations.

Then the father of a person (and a well know banker) takes the time to visit the US Embassy and provide some warning/info regarding his own son being involved in terrorist activities and yet the govt did nothing - not even using the no-fly watch list.

However I know people, including myself, who are harrassed every time we return to the USA because someone with a similar appearance/name is on a non-terrorist watch list (not for terrorism but for outstanding bench warrant -- took me 1.5 years to finally get my name removed from this list).

Good idea .... follows the principle that when someone spends their own money for something they take good care of it (usually). When you give something to someone they don't give a rat's ass (usually).

the screeners who screens the screeners... and this is the bottom line, if security is breached at this point, then air traveling should be banned because nobody can be trusted anymore. :)

Two things have made flying safer since 9/11:

1) Reinforced cockpit doors

and

2) Passengers know to resist terrorists

Everything else is a waste of tax dollars and a burden on global society at large. There will always be a weak point in the system, and that is what the terrorist-types will target.

Airport security should be thorough, but tempered with a strong sense of reality.

Two things have made flying safer since 9/11:

1) Reinforced cockpit doors

and

2) Passengers know to resist terrorists

Everything else is a waste of tax dollars and a burden on global society at large. There will always be a weak point in the system, and that is what the terrorist-types will target.

Airport security should be thorough, but tempered with a strong sense of reality.

I've read a lot of posts in this and other related topics on the subject of air transportation safety. This post however, in my opinion, is the best one and sums up the whole issue nicely. I especially agree with number 2. I will take my chances with my fellow passengers over relaying on TSA and the rest of the alphabet govt. to protect me.

Interesting enough see this piece from TIME mag. that supports what SJ wrote here:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...1950576,00.html

Also check out the cover article on what lessons we have learned and failed to apply.

Lastly, I would think those of us here would be interested to know (and outraged) that this guy got a valid 2 year visa approved in only 4 days and then, when his father went to the embassy and warned our govt, they did nothing regarding revoking his visa. Contrast this effort to the effort we put into reviewing visas for USC wives from China.

Who is the bigger threat?