Growing up Black in China

It does touch on a sensitive issue. I know even other ethnic groups within China get discriminated against. My hubby, being Mongolian, said he sometimes felt these sentiments because he was not Han Chinese. He never learned English in school as Mandarin was his second language and he felt it was looked down upon. He never took it personally though, and I think there is not as much discrimination against Mongolians than other groups.

All his friends call him ÃɹÅÈË though! Haha.

wow i can't believe CNN did an article on this today.

This talent show Go! Oriental Angel finished about a month ago, but its extremely delayed on the chinese channels here in the US and I've been watching it every weekend for the past 3 months. Just saw the elimination round from 8 to 7 yesterday, the show is soooo awesome!

Anyway, Lou Jing was already eliminated when I first started watching, which was the top 12. I think she might've been eliminated like top 15 or something. I did see the show invite her back once to give a statement to clarify some of the untrue internet rumors that were swirling out of hand about her. I also saw a separate talk show appearance interviewing her, where they kept asking about her father and she kept avoiding that question. She did talk about when she went to audition for the Go! Oriental Angel show, she prepared songs and dances just like every girl, but then the judges just ended up asking her to speak chinese as a talent.

Nowadays, I see Lou Jing as a co-host on another tv show on that same station, so good for her. Her major in college as well as her ambition is to become a tv host/news anchor, so she's definitely done well for herself. I think the CNN article might've put too much of a negative spin on this whole ordeal because altho there was alot of racism and untrue rumors about her, there was also alot of support for her and ultimately she's landed the job of her dreams due to this exposure.

Unfortunately, this type of behavior does occur all over the Far East. I had my first exposure to this type of nationalistic prejudice when I first entered Korea in 1976.

I will try to be brief just to emphasize my point, and not drift too far from the OP's topic. My military unit sponsored/supported an orphanage of half Korean/half American children (The term we used was AmerAsian) that weren't there due to parent¡¯s death. They were specifically there since the rest of the Korean society cast them out, and were considered "untouchables." US society wouldn't take them in either since the original birth father and citizenship couldn't be positively established. Now this, "...is stuck between a rock and a hard place!"

The children were bright, articulate, and always playful that an atypical normal child is. However, they weren't pure. The Korean/White children fared far better. The Korean/Black fared absolutely the worst. At times, even the previous "orphaned" children (Korean/White) would shun them. How prejudiced can you get? To be shunned by another mixed race child.

Black members of the military unit I was assigned to took these children under their wing and were understandably fiercely protective of them. As an Example, one member (black) began violating Ration Control limits (designed to prevent US goods from entering into the black-market). The offense is punished under UCMJ, Article 134, and could result in loss of two ranks, 45 days extra duty, 45 days restriction, possible dishonorable discharge, and 30 days of Correctional Confinement (for all the non-military civilians; hard labor jail.). He was brought up on charges since he was going to various US Exchanges and purchasing hot dogs, Spam, Kraft Caramels, Hershey's Chocolate bars and Kisses. He was caught, and accused of black marketing by CID. He was brought before the Corps Commander to explain his actions. As it turned out, he was spending his own money, in direct violation of written/direct orders not to do this, and was takings the goods down to the same orphanage to give to the children. In conclusion he was cleared of all charges instantly by the Commander, who then contributed funds for his efforts, and began a program, that all NCOs of the command (Non Commissioned Officers) to support these efforts. Past military members; when a field grade commander (a Colonel) give these orders, you damned well better be on duty or have a reasoned that you were detained!

Lou Jing falls into the latter category that I mentioned before. It happens in whatever society in the Far East. Look at the Philippines, Korea, and esp. Japan, Thailand and Vietnam. This is nothing new.

What is sad about the entire scenario is that I saw two things that really stood out in my mind.

1 ) Her own comments....

"I am DragonTV Angel Lou Jing, and here I make a statement!

1 ) My father is American, not African.

2 ) I am a born and bred Shanghainese person.

3 ) I should not have to bear my parents¡¯ mistake, I am innocent!

4 ) Sternly but strongly protest some people¡¯s racism, my skin color should not become a target of attack!"

If the reader can't figure out what she saying; then that person really needs some cultural sensitivity training. Why does she simply state that she is Chinese, that simply has a black father? No more! No less!

2) She has talent obviously, which goes back to my original statement of the children being bright and very articulate. She goes to a talent show, exhibiting these talents and is immediately "torn apart" due to her skin color. Chinese people aren't prejudiced are they? After all; they have 5,000 years of culture don't they?

The sad part is when she attempts to succeed, it brought her into the spotlight, and she is then commensurately torn apart. Why does the nation's/Neitzens reactions rival of a bunch of non-talented prejudicial bigots, that seem to be jealous that she has talents that they don't have?

This resembles a personal belief of mine that most of the world is in a mud hole. The people in the mud hole, want to pull your hands and have you join them in the mud hole, so that they can feel better about themselves. However, the people in the mud hole, it never occurs to them to get out of the mud hole and stand with the rest of people.

In conclusion, what do your own wives/husbands feel about this issue? I'm absolutely positive that this same story is making the rounds in 001 forum. I wonder how many "Neitzens" and /or our own spouses agree with what has been posted regard to Lou Jing?

Please remember the old adage of stones being thrown in glass houses. The problem could wind up in your own backyard! Might I suggest treading carefully? The answer you receive, may or may not shock you.

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

Unfortunately, this type of behavior does occur all over the Far East. I had my first exposure to this type of nationalistic prejudice when I first entered Korea in 1976.

I will try to be brief just to emphasize my point, and not drift too far from the OP's topic. My military unit sponsored/supported an orphanage of half Korean/half American children (The term we used was AmerAsian) that weren't there due to parent¡¯s death. They were specifically there since the rest of the Korean society cast them out, and were considered "untouchables." US society wouldn't take them in either since the original birth father and citizenship couldn't be positively established. Now this, "...is stuck between a rock and a hard place!"

The children were bright, articulate, and always playful that an atypical normal child is. However, they weren't pure. The Korean/White children fared far better. The Korean/Black fared absolutely the worst. At times, even the previous "orphaned" children (Korean/White) would shun them. How prejudiced can you get? To be shunned by another mixed race child.

Black members of the military unit I was assigned to took these children under their wing and were understandably fiercely protective of them. As an Example, one member (black) began violating Ration Control limits (designed to prevent US goods from entering into the black-market). The offense is punished under UCMJ, Article 134, and could result in loss of two ranks, 45 days extra duty, 45 days restriction, possible dishonorable discharge, and 30 days of Correctional Confinement (for all the non-military civilians; hard labor jail.). He was brought up on charges since he was going to various US Exchanges and purchasing hot dogs, Spam, Kraft Caramels, Hershey's Chocolate bars and Kisses. He was caught, and accused of black marketing by CID. He was brought before the Corps Commander to explain his actions. As it turned out, he was spending his own money, in direct violation of written/direct orders not to do this, and was takings the goods down to the same orphanage to give to the children. In conclusion he was cleared of all charges instantly by the Commander, who then contributed funds for his efforts, and began a program, that all NCOs of the command (Non Commissioned Officers) to support these efforts. Past military members; when a field grade commander (a Colonel) give these orders, you damned well better be on duty or have a reasoned that you were detained!

Lou Jing falls into the latter category that I mentioned before. It happens in whatever society in the Far East. Look at the Philippines, Korea, and esp. Japan, Thailand and Vietnam. This is nothing new.

What is sad about the entire scenario is that I saw two things that really stood out in my mind.

1 ) Her own comments....

"I am DragonTV Angel Lou Jing, and here I make a statement!

1 ) My father is American, not African.

2 ) I am a born and bred Shanghainese person.

3 ) I should not have to bear my parents¡¯ mistake, I am innocent!

4 ) Sternly but strongly protest some people¡¯s racism, my skin color should not become a target of attack!"

If the reader can't figure out what she saying; then that person really needs some cultural sensitivity training. Why does she simply state that she is Chinese, that simply has a black father? No more! No less!

2) She has talent obviously, which goes back to my original statement of the children being bright and very articulate. She goes to a talent show, exhibiting these talents and is immediately "torn apart" due to her skin color. Chinese people aren't prejudiced are they? After all; they have 5,000 years of culture don't they?

The sad part is when she attempts to succeed, it brought her into the spotlight, and she is then commensurately torn apart. Why does the nation's/Neitzens reactions rival of a bunch of non-talented prejudicial bigots, that seem to be jealous that she has talents that they don't have?

This resembles a personal belief of mine that most of the world is in a mud hole. The people in the mud hole, want to pull your hands and have you join them in the mud hole, so that they can feel better about themselves. However, the people in the mud hole, it never occurs to them to get out of the mud hole and stand with the rest of people.

In conclusion, what do your own wives/husbands feel about this issue? I'm absolutely positive that this same story is making the rounds in 001 forum. I wonder how many "Neitzens" and /or our own spouses agree with what has been posted regard to Lou Jing?

Please remember the old adage of stones being thrown in glass houses. The problem could wind up in your own backyard! Might I suggest treading carefully? The answer you receive, may or may not shock you.

Dave

Vow that is some story.

People identify themselves with where they are born and bought up not by their skin color or features.

A couple of interesting things I have experienced:

I went to visit my family back home in India a few years ago and was watching the Indian Idol and there was this Indian-Chinese person as one of the contestants. They asked him to say something in Chinese and his response was hey I dont speak the language I am Indian.

I was in Stamford Connecticut and went into a Chinese restaurant and the owner was watching India play a game at the world cup of cricket.

I said to him that I did not know the Chinese played Cricket.

He just turns around and say to me in Indian.......

I am from India this is what I watched growing up.

Something to think about.

I agree with you Smitty. Most of those comments really made me sick to my stomach. I can't help but wonder if some of those comments were from people just following the crowd. Of course this is completely speculative. Regardless whether they or whether they weren't - they simply were inappropriate in the greatest sense. My heart goes out to that young lady.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Well, like Sam and Fen said, I want to smack them. Really hard. Maybe even use my work boots...

It would be sadder to me to think that some people making those comments were doing it just to follow the crowd, than what might be different from the crowd in their hearts.

I hope that she is able to capitalize on this. I think that she should run with being the Black Pearl. The more I think about it, the more I like it...

After reading some of the other comments, it's an even sadder situation.

If you scroll down, there is a section of the good comments that she has gotten. The sad thing with these situations is that people always see the bad side, so the good, encouraging comments are thrown out to fuel the fire.

Just very sad indeed.

After reading some of the other comments, it's an even sadder situation.

If you scroll down, there is a section of the good comments that she has gotten. The sad thing with these situations is that people always see the bad side, so the good, encouraging comments are thrown out to fuel the fire.

Just very sad indeed.

This is simply human nature...

"...This resembles a personal belief of mine that most of the world is in a mud hole. The people in the mud hole, want to pull your hands and have you join them in the mud hole, so that they can feel better about themselves...."

What part of this don't we see everyday in life? The positive comments (and yes I read them) are far outweighed by by the bad.

That is why people go to see a stock car race. They don't care about the race! They simply want to see someone die or be mangled in the crash. Then they pretend horror at what has happened. The crash and mangled bodies are forgotten within two or three days.

Same is true of her skin color. Before the show, only a few people knew what she was. When it is aired via TV; then the true prejudice comes out! Then all of us (collectively meant) stands in horror at seeing the comments holds our hands to our mouths and scream what an outrage it is.

Welcome to the TV, Internet, car races and accidents! This is simply human nature at its best. Nothing like a great disaster to take their minds off day-to-day inane crap, is there? Let's talk about a woman via Internet (where Neitzens are anonymous keyboard Ninjas) that has more talent then we have, speculate about their fathers, and their culture. Goes right back to what I said about people in the mud hole.

I'm still waiting to see how this prejudice has affected our own lives with posts from CFL members. Do you truly think that you are immune from this in your own lives?

I will be the first to admit, that I personally know that my own wife is prejudiced in this aspect when we first met. She has worked against her own beliefs, and now is far more acceptable. I apologize to other members. I ain't convinced, and I'm fully cognizant that I have a long way to go.

Hell! My wife is prejudiced about people from Beijing.

Are there are no CFL members that will stand up in this thread, and use it as a teaching/educational point? Or his will be one of those those posts that are buried under "breathless" accounts of more inane ramblings in Twisted Candle. Twisted Candle is fine at times. However, there are many other members that are waiting to see what your responses are, and I mean an educated response. I have already talked to one of them this evening. They suspect that you will blow by this issue to.

Yes! This is a challenge!

BTW the way Sam and Fen, until this day I didn't even know that you were Indian. I only knew you as Sam, and that was that.

Dave

Way too many people these days are ready to push the race button. It's been pushed so many times that most of white America would shudder to have to define just what constitutes being a racist.

Now take for example a country like China. From the link the OP provided appears the following:

There are 56 different recognized ethnic groups in China, but more than 90 percent of the population is Han Chinese. So people who look different stand out.

How many non-Chinese out there have ever been to China? Were you ever called or referred to as "lao wai?" Is that a racist term?

To the Chinese, it simply means you look different than everybody else; yes, that 90% of the public all pretty much looks the same as they are Han people.

So now it seems people can't even talk about what they think, or ask questions without being deemed racist. True, there is a lot of ignorance going about with the responses this young woman experienced in her life. However, plugging an ignorant into a racist pigeon hole won't ever fit.