Health insurance for my wife when I retire

jemmyell

Hi,

Since I will have a fairly expensive surgery in January (Cataracts) we have been discussing health insurance in the USA and costs without it.

So, our daughter will graduate from college with a business degree in less than 3 years. I am about 6 years away from Medicare age. How can I take care of my wife (15 years younger) when this happens? I expect our daughter to be able to get a job with health benefits before age 25 when she can no longer be covered by my employer.

-James

I went out of work on disability in 2007 after 23 years with the Virginia DOT. I carried the health insurance with me covering both me and my wife. The cost is a bit high but the state pays for some of it. I went on Medicare this past July which put my insurance at a lower cost being that it is now secondary and Medicare is primary. I still pay alot for my wife's insurance but she's worth it. :huh: It's $488 a month for her.

It has worked out well for us. We are both insured and it's great coverage through the Commonwealth of Virginia; COVACARE/ Anthem BC/BS.