My fiance has a nice guitar, and we were really hope we could fly it over to the States with us, perhaps in exchange for one of our free checked baggage allowances... We called Asiana Airlines and they said they don't recommend checking your guitar into baggage because they won't pay for loss or damage, and if we wanted to bring the guitar as carry-on we'd have to buy it a ticketed seat!!!

Anyone have experience flying their guitar? Should we just forget it and buy a new one in the States?

I've flown a few times with a Martin D-28. They used to let you bring it on board and put it in the coat closet but I don't think they will anymore. If you have to check it release the string tension and it should be ok.

No advice really, but I encountered a young guy last April traveling back to the US with a similar dilemma. He had his computer, a carry-on, and his guitar. His problem wasn't the guitar; he just couldn't carry his carry-on and a guitar. He was trying to find someone to take his carry-on for him so he could take his guitar. He found someone willing to do it. His plan was to leave the guitar behind if he couldn't find someone. You have nothing to lose except for a carry-on.

I have seen professional musicians bring their guitars in a gig bag. This is a soft case and is smaller than a hard shell case. They were usually accommodated with a space inside the cabin.

I would not check a fine guitar, period!!

He may not have a choice unless he leaves it behind.

I have seen professional musicians bring their guitars in a gig bag. This is a soft case and is smaller than a hard shell case. They were usually accommodated with a space inside the cabin.

I would not check a fine guitar, period!!

He may not have a choice unless he leaves it behind.

Plan B is always a given. :D

No advice really, but I encountered a young guy last April traveling back to the US with a similar dilemma. He had his computer, a carry-on, and his guitar. His problem wasn't the guitar; he just couldn't carry his carry-on and a guitar. He was trying to find someone to take his carry-on for him so he could take his guitar. He found someone willing to do it. His plan was to leave the guitar behind if he couldn't find someone. You have nothing to lose except for a carry-on.

What if was packed full of drugs or a bomb, carrying something for anothers is a bad move

This is from a friend who is a professional classical guitarist.

I don't believe he has experience with any Chinese airlines.

"Most people bring them on board and ignore the pleas from the flight attendants prior to boarding about things fitting in the sizing box and that the flight is "very full" and all of that. Then, if the flight is, in fact, too full, or if the plane is simply too small, then the guitar is "gate checked"

which is far better than sending it underneath from the front

counter. They take it as your board and you get it when you deplane.

Most of the time, however, you can simply carry it on board and place

it in the overhead bins.

Do not ask at the front counter, they will tell you that you must

check it - so you simply bring it with you through screening and walk

on board with it."

• 4 weeks later...

At least you aren't Flying

Hilarious story. He sure made them pay. :lol:

Frigging funny video!! Awesome!!

:roller: :roller:

That one got their attention Dave Carroll tried being reasonable and calling them, and kept getting the run-around, finally it took that video on YouTube to get United's attention.

:boxer: :boxer: