Hi all,

It seems to me that CFL is about to be one year old...the oldest post I could find was dated Nov. 26th....Is that the date of origin?

With nearly 700 members now, CFL has helped hundreds of couples in their process to get their loved ones here....

So, Happy Birthday CFL and thanks to PJ and his able side kick Don, as well as all the moderators, who have done so much for so many. Maybe we should light a candle for candle? :D

My best to everyone,

Chinadave

Hi all,

It seems to me that CFL is about to be one year old...the oldest post I could find was dated Nov. 26th....Is that the date of origin?

With nearly 700 members now, CFL has helped hundreds of couples in their process to get their loved ones here....

So, Happy Birthday CFL and thanks to PJ and his able side kick Don, as well  as all the moderators, who have done so much for so many. Maybe we should light a candle for candle?  :D

My best to everyone,

Chinadave

ChinaDave,

I think you may be off by a day or so.

According to the member logs, P.J. and 5 other members joined the Candle on November 25, 2002.

Eric, Don, and enight joined on November 26, 2002.

ttlee_99 Joined on november 27.

Of course, there are a number of others that have come and gone over time.

Oh,

This message is marked as "Initial Message" for the General Visa Delay Discussion Forum:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....?act=ST&f=1&t=1

:)

---- Clifford Keele ------

Oh ... hehe, wow you all have a good memory. :D

Yes, that's right. November 25, 2002 the site was uploaded and launched.

Speaking of which, it's unfortunate, but I think we need to start archiving some of the old threads. Lot of historic value there, but unfortunately a lot of MBs on the server. I had actually meant to archive every 6 months, but never got around to doing it.

Yes, that's right.  November 25, 2002 the site was uploaded and launched. 

Speaking of which, it's unfortunate, but I think we need to start archiving some of the old threads.  Lot of historic value there, but unfortunately a lot of MBs on the server.  I had actually meant to archive every 6 months, but never got around to doing it.

P.J.

Just for curiosity, how much space are we using? Is this a "home server", or rented space on a commercial server?

Of course, I haven't read all of the old stuff, but sometimes it is interesting to see some of the old threads. For example, the Mick & Owen trip to GZ.

Sometime I still need to look up the "PJ Story" that is supposed to be burried in the bowels of the machine somewhere.

If it is a home server, I bet we could get a bunch of people to chip in $5 or $10 towards a new 150 GB HDD (or bigger). That should give enough space for Eric and Mick to play games with their bizarre discussion threads, and perhaps even hold some upload space.

Of course, you still would have to deal with backups.

How are the routine operating costs being paid now?

------ Clifford -----

Yes, that's right.  November 25, 2002 the site was uploaded and launched. 

Speaking of which, it's unfortunate, but I think we need to start archiving some of the old threads.  Lot of historic value there, but unfortunately a lot of MBs on the server.  I had actually meant to archive every 6 months, but never got around to doing it.

Happy birthday! I joined later, but I'm glad I did. I've learned a lot of things and had a great time here.

PJ - Have you considered sifting through some of this stuff to compile a FAQ or "helpful advice" section? I know Eric's AOS message is near legendary at this point, but we have to go sifting through the archives to find it.

Also, we could always offload the archives and post them on a different website or something.

Costs are being paid by some generous benefactors. Several Candle members made donations a while back, and I've chipped in some of my own money.

We're good for like 2 or 3 years as far as hosting costs go, as long as we make sure to archive off posts every now and again. Also, I have a feeling that there are some random images, and AVI files (visa delays once gave us an AVI file of a CNN report), that probably aren't needed anymore.

I think we're in good shape, it's just a matter of someone taking the time to clean house. Also, I should post another Candle accounting sheet, but again last time I checked we have received donations that should cover us for several years.

I'll try to do that this weekend, also it would be a good idea to compile a FAQ, we've got a lot of good material.

Finally, I think we should have elections or something for like a Candle advisory board or something comprising of people who are currently in the obtaining visa process for this particular forum, since they have the largest stake in the process. Truthfully, when I was not in the K1 process, I had little stake in the process, and it made me less concerned about changes to the procedure.

Thanks,

P.J.

I think myself and enight were in the first wave of people to join CFL.. I also believe we were the only two to join CFL after we actually already had out K-1 interviews..

I believe enight, had her interview on 11/18/02, and my fiance on 11/20/02..

We had our interview on August 20, 2002. I think Eric had his on August 1. But I think you and enight joined before we did. I surfed the site for about a month before actually joining. It has really been a blessing to so many people. And the wisdom and counsel of bob and enight have been so helpful over the past year. Thanks to all! :D

/That should give enough space for Eric and Mick to play games with their bizarre discussion threads, and perhaps even hold some upload space./

One must recall that in actuality and fairness, neither Eric nor myself started that last bizarre thread, nor were we the only contributors.

:P :D

/That should give enough space for Eric and Mick to play games with their bizarre discussion threads, and perhaps even hold some upload space./

One must recall that in actuality and fairness, neither Eric nor myself started that last bizarre thread, nor were we the only contributors.

:P  :lol:

I'm glad you said the 'last bizarre thread' because it certainly wasn't the first. :lol:

There were others Don? Really? :P

My memory fails me... :lol: :blink:

I surfed the site for about a month before actually joining. It has really been a blessing to so many people.

Mick,

I am a little puzzled on what you are referring to as being a "blessing to so many people"?????? :P

1) CFL :D :D :D

2) The fact that you joined the Candle !!!!!!!!!! :lol: :P B)

3) You waiting a month or so to join !!!!!!!!!! :blink: :P :lol: :lol:

Should we put this in as a poll to see what the truth is?

(sorry, I couldn't resist, no offence intended, I have actually enjoyed your contributions, at least most of them) :P

I surfed the site for about a month before actually joining. It has really been a blessing to so many people.

Mick,

I am a little puzzled on what you are referring to as being a "blessing to so many people"?????? :P

1) CFL :( :D :D

2) The fact that you joined the Candle !!!!!!!!!! :huh: :o :)

3) You waiting a month or so to join !!!!!!!!!! :lol: :blink: :angry: :huh:

Should we put this in as a poll to see what the truth is?

(sorry, I couldn't resist, no offence intended, I have actually enjoyed your contributions, at least most of them) :P

Probably I meant # 1 and # 3. Humility is my strong suit. :P

One can only imgaine how many posts Mick would have had he joined a month earlier... :lol:

Chinadave

I shudder to think!!!!

Actually, I didn't join earlier because the university where I was teaching in China was a bit touchy about faculty and students posting things on discussion boards. Some folks had problems in doing this in the past. I guess Candle was not perceived a threat, because they never hassled me about it.

As to the number of posts, I would expect that some have been valuable and some have just been plain fun. A little levity is a good thing during times of stress. Further, for most of the months of waiting, Candle was my primary link to the world outside of China. I had few Americans to talk to at the time. Not only that, but the Board provided much useful information during the dark days of the Black Hole era. :angry: