Social Security

Hi everyone,

My wife came here with K-1 visa, we are waiting for the interview now, we done the ASC Appointment Notice last week.

We went to SSN office two times, and finally, yesterday we got the letter that " we cannot give you a Social Security card at this time"

You documents has expired

Your alian status changes, or is renewed, so you can work in U.S.

I know the agent made a mistake told us she is waiting for USCIS to verify her visa.

I thought K-1 visa can get SSN.

I guess I have to apply again later when she get her green card.

Good Luck!

A K-w can only get SSN up to 10 days before I-94 expires, after that and they have to wait until they either have EAD card, or Green-card.

SSN is issued on the basis of work authorization, K-1 is considered to be work auth while the I-94 is valid, not after it expires.

The SSA has been instructed to treat K-1 as work auth while I-94 is valid primarily to deal with the fact that some states require both parties to have SSN before they will issue a marriage license, (NO SSN then NO License).

I believe that Georgia is one of those states, so I guess I need to get here to the SSA office shortly after she gets here? We want to get married as soon as possible.

I am so happy to finally be able to post in this forum :ph34r:

Give it 2 weeks after entry to the USA, it takes at least that long for USCIS to update the database that SSA uses to confirm immigration status.

I believe that Georgia is one of those states, so I guess I need to get here to the SSA office shortly after she gets here? We want to get married as soon as possible.

I am so happy to finally be able to post in this forum ;)

Kinda freaky ain't it :lol:

Don't feel bad, they did the same thing to us, now we have to get the green card before we can reapply for the ssn.

Hi everyone,

My wife came here with K-1 visa, we are waiting for the interview now, we done the ASC Appointment Notice last week.

We went to SSN office two times, and finally, yesterday we got the letter that " we cannot give you a Social Security card at this time"

I know the agent made a mistake told us she is waiting for USCIS to verify her visa.

Good Luck!

Don't feel bad, they did the same thing to us, now we have to get the green card before we can reapply for the ssn.

Hi everyone,

Good Luck!

Does anyone happen to know for a CR-1, how long does it take for the SSA to send out the SS card? I had checked the 'yes' block on the form that asked "Do you want the SSA to automatically send your wife a SS card?" or the words to that effect...

I've read it could take up to a couple of months. Likewise, I've seem to have read somewhere that people have checked it, and it never did arrive. I checked the option as well.

Here's an interesting thread that discusses the issue further

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=39722&hl=

I've read it could take up to a couple of months. Likewise, I've seem to have read somewhere that people have checked it, and it never did arrive. I checked the option as well.

Here's an interesting thread that discusses the issue further

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=39722&hl=

Thanks for the info Kyle. It was interesting. At best, it looks like hit-or-miss. I better plan on a trip to the SS office... :)

Does anyone happen to know for a CR-1, how long does it take for the SSA to send out the SS card? I had checked the 'yes' block on the form that asked "Do you want the SSA to automatically send your wife a SS card?" or the words to that effect...

I have yet to see a CR-1 get a SSN automatically from that check box. Simply wait 2 weeks after entry to the USA and then apply for the SSN card.