Soc Sec Number

The social security card was one of the first things we went to get once my hubby came to the US. We just brought his passport and showed the visa, like you said. Chilton747 is right that sometimes they have no idea what is going on. Once we told them what we were trying to do, they were like, "Oh, oh yeah, ok". It was less than two weeks before it got here in the mail...we got the SS card before his welcome letter!

That's it.

You might be surprised at how the agents DO NOT know how to handle this. The SS agent asked my wife for her SS#. I told him "that's what we came here to get." :lol:

That is funny. :lol: :lol: ....scary too.

Now that I recall more, the agent asked me for MY driver's license and our marriage certificate. :huh: I told him that these things aren't needed and I pointed him to their own website. He had to go get a supervisor. :(

Did you guys check to get it automatically assigned on the DS-230? I've see reports of people requesting it on that form and it never coming. For others, it worked out just fine. We checked the option, so I guess we may wait a bit to see if it arrives before we go to the SS office.

Did you guys check to get it automatically assigned on the DS-230? I've see reports of people requesting it on that form and it never coming. For others, it worked out just fine. We checked the option, so I guess we may wait a bit to see if it arrives before we go to the SS office.

I checked the option and still went to the office. :( I wasn't 'bout to wait on the gvt any more than I had too!

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

I checked the option and still went to the office. :( I wasn't 'bout to wait on the gvt any more than I had too!

Good to know, we'll probably do the same. Thanks!

I checked the option and still went to the office. <_< I wasn't 'bout to wait on the gvt any more than I had too!

We checked the box as well. We went to the ss office as soon as we got to my home town (we spent 4 days in Honolulu). The ss people said it was no problem because they wouldn't issue two numbers to the same person. I think/hope they are right :angry:

I checked the option and still went to the office. :unsure: I wasn't 'bout to wait on the gvt any more than I had too!

Good to know, we'll probably do the same. Thanks!

Hi,

She came here as K-1 visa we are waiting for the interview, we done the ASC Appointment Notice last week.

We went to office two times, and finally, yesterday we got the letter that " we cannot give you a Social Security card at this time"

You documents has expired

Your alian status changes, or is renewed, so you can work in U.S.

I know the agent made a mistake told us she is waiting for USCIS to verify her visa.

Good Luck!

After a couple of weeks after Ying got here we went to the social security office. We filled out the paperwork and then showed the clerk her CR-1 visa. After she looked in the computer, she said immigration hadn't submitted he paperwork yet, so she decided to treat it as a request for a new SSAN. Ying had her card within two weeks.

Hi,

She came here as K-1 visa we are waiting for the interview, we done the ASC Appointment Notice last week.

We went to office two times, and finally, yesterday we got the letter that " we cannot give you a Social Security card at this time"

You documents has expired

Your alian status changes, or is renewed, so you can work in U.S.

I know the agent made a mistake told us she is waiting for USCIS to verify her visa.

Good Luck!

That check box has to do with IMMIGRANT visas, it NEVER generates SSN for any NON-Immigrant visa, it will not generated a SSN card for a NON-IMMIGRANT K-1 visa holder, the MUST go to SSA and apply for SSN within 76 days of entry to the USA, after that and the K-1 holder needs evidence of employment auth, (Green-card or EAD Card)