Any news Xiaofeizhu? We are also in Hawaii and need to do a passport renewal... Any luck getting a real LA consulate person on the phone? That would be a miracle.

OMG. We have called them repeatedly during all hours of the day, hubby even tried leaving a message for the "emergency" line. Nothing. We decided we will make a stop over there before heading to Vegas for our family reunion. Let me know if you hear anything!

Question for everyone else who has used LAX:

We are flying in to LAX at 6:45 on June 15, flying out to Vegas at 10:35 at night. I read the consulate is open from 9 - 2. Is it usually an in and out thing? No appointment necessary, right? We should have no problems and enough time to apply for the passport and have provisions to have it sent back to Hawaii, right? Any comments will be useful! :lol:

Any news Xiaofeizhu? We are also in Hawaii and need to do a passport renewal... Any luck getting a real LA consulate person on the phone? That would be a miracle.

PS, where in Hawaii are you? Oahu?

• 2 weeks later...

We just moved to Oahu this week from Kauai.

My friend's parents read the Chinese newspaper everyday, so they're going to keep an eye out for me. They did say it's twice a year, and it's absolute chaos, but if it can save me an expensive trip to LA, then it's totally worth it!

Okay. This is the experience that my wife and I had renewing her passport at the Chinese Consulate in L.A. YMMV. We traveled there from New Mexico this past December. We only had a couple of days since my wife had to go back to work and did not think we would be able to get it expedited in the short time we had. This turned out to be right.

Went to the building where they handle this (it is not in the consulate building but just down the street). We went up to the 3rd floor and upon entering you take a number. Got called to a window and gave them the paperwork and her old passport. Told them that we wanted to pay for the passport ($55) and asked that they send the new one to us in N.M. They unequivocally said no, they would not send it to us and we were to pay the passport fee upon picking the new one up. They gave only two options: were to either come back in six weeks; or have a travel agency pick it up for us and send it to us.

We went back in January and picked it up. Took about two minutes to get it once we were there.

Parking is a pain, especially dependent on time of day you are there. You will park on the street. Remember to take quarters to put in the parking meter.

Okay. This is the experience that my wife and I had renewing her passport at the Chinese Consulate in L.A. YMMV. We traveled there from New Mexico this past December. We only had a couple of days since my wife had to go back to work and did not think we would be able to get it expedited in the short time we had. This turned out to be right.

Went to the building where they handle this (it is not in the consulate building but just down the street). We went up to the 3rd floor and upon entering you take a number. Got called to a window and gave them the paperwork and her old passport. Told them that we wanted to pay for the passport ($55) and asked that they send the new one to us in N.M. They unequivocally said no, they would not send it to us and we were to pay the passport fee upon picking the new one up. They gave only two options: were to either come back in six weeks; or have a travel agency pick it up for us and send it to us.

We went back in January and picked it up. Took about two minutes to get it once we were there.

Parking is a pain, especially dependent on time of day you are there. You will park on the street. Remember to take quarters to put in the parking meter.

Ouch. I hope they do not expect that someone from Hawaii will either a) wait around for the passport or :eyebrow: actually come back to get it. That would be totally rediculous. Can someone else pick it up for you (i.e. one of my LA based aunts/uncles)? I would hate to have to pay a travel agency pick it up for me.

How long did you take when applying for the new passport? We have only one day in LA (arrive at 6:45 am and leave at 10:35 pm) before we head off to Las Vegas. I would hate for this to become an issue.

On a side note, though, it is really no problem if he does not have a valid passport for a while, right? It only would become a problem if he wanted to travel out of the country because he has his green card as evidence of his legal residency, right? I might just wait for the LA consulate to come here instead.

Hi, the Happy girl, just wish you a happy harvest Tiger Year! :eyebrow:

We just moved to Oahu this week from Kauai.

My friend's parents read the Chinese newspaper everyday, so they're going to keep an eye out for me. They did say it's twice a year, and it's absolute chaos, but if it can save me an expensive trip to LA, then it's totally worth it!

Cool, we are on the Big Island. Please let me know if you hear anything. I don't care about the chaos, but if I can get it done, then that is one less thing to worry about! :eyebrow:

It took us about half an hour from the time we took a number and finished with business at the window. Majority of the time was just waiting.

I don't know for sure about having a relative pick it up for you. It would seem that this would be reasonable. Maybe one of your relatives could visit the office for you and ask in person.

When picking the passport up they do accept good old American dollars for payment. You do not take a number to pick the passport up, just enter and get in the line for the one window that hands out the new passport.

Yeah, he should not need the passport unless he travels so you could wait it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...