want to join the army

dongyan

I think it's great that you want to do this dongyan, but something you need to consider is if it's something you want to do for the next 8 years.

Your local recruiter can let you know for certain, but when I was of age many years ago, you joined up for 8 years. Most of the specialties only had a 2 year commitment, and the rest of the eight years could be either spent in a reserve like status, or active in the Army. Some specialties required 4 year commitments, and the other 4 years can be spent as you the same way - either active or reserve.

I think the Navy is a minimum 4 year commitment out of the 8 years. I don't know about the Air Force.

It could have changed by now, so make sure you check with your recruiting office.

If you have any doubt, go in the reserves first it is only 1 weekend a month and a couple weeks a year, plus you get the same training as the full timers and if you decide you like it you can change to full timer.

In the past, this was true. However, things have changed quite a bit in the past 27 years since I was first on active duty.

I joined the USAF in 1983, and spent 4 years on active duty. After my initial 4 year commitment was finished, I transferred to the National Guard.

The terrorist attacks on the U.S. on 9/11 changed everything. I've spent more time deployed overseas as a guardsman since 9/11 then I did when I was in the active duty Air Force.

Having said that, I will agree with the others on here, that the USAF should be anyone's first choice!

Best Wishes

This happened a long time ago, but I was in the AF for fours years active and two years inactive reserves. I spent a total of 165 days on actual active duty...as in working everyday on the AF base. The rest of the time, I spent in college full-time or in AF Tech Schools. Yup, AF is the way to go if you want a better education and very little threat of actual combat.

Dont mess with the "support" branches/corps

Just go Army- infantry- Airbone- special forces

It's the Elite path, not many can take it, but thats why there is the Navy and Airforce :blink:

But seriously if you really want to enlist I appluad you, just think it through to a life and skills after service.

Who Dares Wins