Friend for my fiance

Currently me and my fiance & I live together in Beijing. I have need to move back to the states due to family issues. I am now realizing that this maybe a long process, which I have yet to start.

Is there some site for my wife (really she is my fiance I call her laopo) to talk with others Chinese women? She gets so discouraged. (She doesn't speak English -- we speak Chinese at home)

What are the advantages for k-3 or k-1?

Will a k-3 allow us commute for work between the USA and China easier?

RW

Edited by rw86347 (see edit history)

There are several Chinese ladies on CFL who I am sure would befriend your future wife. They do have a Chinese language forum (under Life Together & Apart).

It might be helpful for you to post a few more details about your lives/future plans.

If you do intend to immigrate to the US soon, you can petition for a K-1 for her when you get back to the states.

Another option that you have is to get married in China if the time is right. If you have been living in China continuously for the past 6 months (which I am just guessing you have been because of your language proficiency) you could file a CR-1 visa application directly in Beijing which would probably be the fastest route to get your laopo to the states. I am not in anyway encouraging you to make a rash decision, but if you have been planning to get married for a while or if the time is right, it is an option for you to consider if you have a few days to spare before coming back stateside.

Others will surely provide more information, but if you give us a better idea of what your plans are, we can better help you to find a viable plan.

Slipped my mind earlier: http://usa.bbs001.com/

It's an all Chinese site with some good information. Lot's of women talk about all kinds of things, so just be prepared for her to ask you stuff that the site might make her worry about that they really do not need to worry about. That's what happened to me! My hubby asked so many questions and was getting worried for nothing. But it is a good place for them to talk about stuff and find people who are in similar situations as them.

Each visa type has it's pros and cons.

K-1 is a one use NON-Immigrant visa that is specifically is for entry to the USA, and marriage to the person who files the petition, has a 90 day limit of stay in the USA in which time a marriage and then application to adjust status needs to be done. It is also the most expensive option when factoring in the cost at adjust status.

K-3 is a multi entry visa which was originally developed at a time when spousal visas were taking a VERY long time to get approved, the K-3 allowed the spouse to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 approval so that they could either adjust status or return to home country to interview for spousal visa. Since the original reason the K-3 was devised no longer exists, (Long approval time for I-130) the K-3's use tends to be to allow a 2 year period before actually applying to adjust status or get spousal case moved to consulate for spousal visa, the K-3 allows multiple entries. K-3 is NOT a work visa so cannot take a job unless work authorization is applied for while they are in the USA. The only cases where I see an advantage for K-3 is where US Citizen and Foreign citizen have to remain out of the USA for a period before eventually settling in the USA, It allows visits to the USA before settling.

CR-1 (Filing just I-130 for spousal visa) is the least expensive option, it generates a green-card upon entry to the USA, so immigrant can take a job and can travel.

With electronic processing in place for the CR-1, there is not much difference among the three visa types as for how long they take to get.

Wow, this was full of good information!!!

Let me get this straight. If me and my fiance file for a K-3 we must live in China for 2 years but can travel to the USA as much as we want?!?!

We have no real desire for her to work in the USA, but she does not like the fact that I must go to the USA often without her.

I just want my "soon to be wife" to be able to accompany me to the USA.

I love my job in China. In fact my Chinese boss said I could work remote from the USA as much as I wanted in order to see my daughter, but the USA won't let my wife accompany me because "she is too poor". It make me so angry!

rw

p.s. keep the good info coming.

Each visa type has it's pros and cons.

K-1 is a one use NON-Immigrant visa that is specifically is for entry to the USA, and marriage to the person who files the petition, has a 90 day limit of stay in the USA in which time a marriage and then application to adjust status needs to be done. It is also the most expensive option when factoring in the cost at adjust status.

K-3 is a multi entry visa which was originally developed at a time when spousal visas were taking a VERY long time to get approved, the K-3 allowed the spouse to enter the USA and WAIT for I-130 approval so that they could either adjust status or return to home country to interview for spousal visa. Since the original reason the K-3 was devised no longer exists, (Long approval time for I-130) the K-3's use tends to be to allow a 2 year period before actually applying to adjust status or get spousal case moved to consulate for spousal visa, the K-3 allows multiple entries. K-3 is NOT a work visa so cannot take a job unless work authorization is applied for while they are in the USA. The only cases where I see an advantage for K-3 is where US Citizen and Foreign citizen have to remain out of the USA for a period before eventually settling in the USA, It allows visits to the USA before settling.

CR-1 (Filing just I-130 for spousal visa) is the least expensive option, it generates a green-card upon entry to the USA, so immigrant can take a job and can travel.

With electronic processing in place for the CR-1, there is not much difference among the three visa types as for how long they take to get.

Wow, this was full of good information!!!

Let me get this straight. If me and my fiance file for a K-3 we must live in China for 2 years but can travel to the USA as much as we want?!?!

We have no real desire for her to work in the USA, but she does not like the fact that I must go to the USA often without her.

I just want my "soon to be wife" to be able to accompany me to the USA.

I love my job in China. In fact my Chinese boss said I could work remote from the USA as much as I wanted in order to see my daughter, but the USA won't let my wife accompany me because "she is too poor". It make me so angry!

rw

p.s. keep the good info coming.

Yes K-3 can be used this way keep in mind must marry first, then file for visa, processing can take 8 or more months, you must use the visa within 6 months, after that can use it muntipal times.

Also the medical for the visa is only valid 1 year, so if adjust status or you interview for an immigrant visa more than a year after getting the K3, then another full medical will be needed. Lastly AOS is costly and may go up, currently $1010.

Another option, do like Kyle just did, see about getting married and her getting a visitor's B-visa, the visit visa is MUCH less expensive than K-3, it can also be multi-entry. Then when your are ready to migrate to the USA file for a Spousal visa, by filing paperwork at the US consulate or Embassy. The processing is MUCH faster and less expensive.

Since Kyle and Jingjing have been married more than 2 years the resulting visa is IR-1 and green-card will be a 10 year un-conditional card, saving more $$ from not having to remove conditions later at 2 years of green-card.

Look at Kyle's threads, and perhaps PM him.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showuser=39520