Food Cravings and Other Items

Ah, the joys of pregnancy. I have made numerous flash trips to the local supermarket to purchase various and sundry items such as cherry tomatoes, dofu, pickled this and pickled that.

Tonight, Li was feeling more than a little pain due to the bones shifting around in her pelvis in preparation for the blessed event. I gave her a long, sensuous massage, snuggled her and made her comfortable. Sensitive guy that I am B) I looked at her face and told her how beautiful and sexy she was. I told her how much desire I still had for her.

She looked at me with those eyes of hers and responded: "White celery, that's what I want, celery leaves like we used to eat in China". :o ;)

Ah, the joys of pregnancy.......got to run....now she is making pickled fish and every cat in the vicinity is at our door.... ;)

Any ideas?

Out at the crack of dawn this morning for a "country ham biscuit". A few days ago it was a gravy biscuit. Is this lady becoming a true southern woman or what? :)

Today we go to the Chinese market in Huntsville to restock the supply of pickled vegetables and other assorted delights.

Out at the crack of dawn this morning for a "country ham biscuit". A few days ago it was a gravy biscuit. Is this lady becoming a true southern woman or what? :lol:

Today we go to the Chinese market in Huntsville to restock the supply of pickled vegetables and other assorted delights.

All right Mick you got my attention I live in Vance AL.. you have to give me the low-down on the Chinese markets here My lady should be here about Feb.

M

Out at the crack of dawn this morning for a "country ham biscuit". A few days ago it was a gravy biscuit. Is this lady becoming a true southern woman or what? :D

All right Mick you got my attention I live in Vance AL.. you have to give me the low-down on the Chinese markets here My lady should be here about Feb.

M

Not exactly sure where Vance is???

We actually live in Ardmore, Tennessee but it is a town that straddles the border, about twenty miles north of Huntsville. There are several Asian markets in Huntsville, but most are Korean. The one Chinese market is called something like "Far East Market and Gifts". It is located on South Memorial Parkway ( I think the address is 8108B or close to that). It is located between Byrd Springs Road and Logan Road on the west side of Memorial Parkway. Got to look close for it or you'll miss it. We just got back from there with a load of stuff. Be advised this place is closed on Monday and doesn't open until noon on Thursday.

It may be a bit of a hike but your best bet is just south of Nashville. Don't know the name of the place but it is easy to get to. Go north on I-65 to the Harding Place Exit (maybe that is exit 79 :D ). Head east on Harding to Nolensville Pike (that is an approximation of the name but its close). Take a right and the market is about a quarter mile on the right. You can't miss it. If your lady is looking for authentic Chinese stuff, this is the place to go. It is quite large and has a huge selection. Li goes crazy in there and we always come back with a trunk full of stuff. It may be a hike from Vance though. :D

For us, it is only about 70 miles. Worth the drive though.

Glad to see someone else from Dixie. Several folks on the board are from Alabama and Tennessee.

Oh, I bet that pickled fish just smells delightful - meow, meow. Does Li insist on buying the fish heads and making soup out of them the way my Ping does? I got to admit that the soup from those salmon heads does taste good but it is just so weird to me the way she wants those fish heads more than anything else at the huge fish department in the biggest market in Atlanta, the DeKalb County Farmer's Market. It is hilarious to watch her put the part with the eyeballs in her mouth. She has taught me not to be afraid of fish bones and to just manipulate them around in my mouth and spit them out the way Chinese people do. She is so proud of me for this. Next time she wants to buy salmon heads I will go along with that okay, but I'm not going to let her buy any more catfish heads. Yuck! She wanted them because they have "so much good skin."

Hey, I am proud of Li for discovering the joys of southern biscuit cuisine!!!

OK, I'ver been told that in and around Nanning, if it moves on the ground and isn't a car, flies in the air and isn't a plane, swims in the water and isn't a boat, then it's dinner. I'm hoping that ShuPing has more refined tastes than that, being from the north, but I'm only hoping at this point.

Fish heads and eyeballs?!!!!! :blink: OMG! I won't kiss her for a week if she does that.

Oh, I bet that pickled fish just smells delightful - meow, meow.  Does Li insist on buying the fish heads and making soup out of them the way my Ping does?  I got to admit that the soup from those salmon heads does taste good but it is just so weird to me the way she wants those fish heads more than anything else at the huge fish department in the biggest market in Atlanta, the DeKalb County Farmer's Market.  It is hilarious to watch her put the part with the eyeballs in her mouth.  She has taught me not to be afraid of fish bones and to just manipulate them around in my mouth and spit them out the way Chinese people do.  She is so proud of me for this.  Next time she wants to buy salmon heads I will go along with that okay, but I'm not going to let her buy any more catfish heads.  Yuck!  She wanted them because they have "so much good skin."

Thankfully, she doesn't make the fish head soup. ;)

There is a common saying in Guangdong: "If its back faces heaven, you can eat it". :blink: Li, being from Anhui, likes to think that her tastes are more refined. And in many ways they are. No fish heads around here. :)

As for the biscuits, she has a taste for them. Especially the ones with sausage gravy.

OK, I'ver been told that in and around Nanning, if it moves on the ground and isn't a car, flies in the air and isn't a plane, swims in the water and isn't a boat, then it's dinner.  I'm hoping that ShuPing has more refined tastes than that, being from the north, but I'm only hoping at this point.

Fish heads and eyeballs?!!!!!  :)  OMG!  I won't kiss her for a week if she does that.

You think the fish heads smell bad, wait'll you get a load of the Stinky Dofu!!! :o ;)

While you are in China, give it a try. The sell it on most streets. Comes on a stick. Yikes.....really nastly stuff! Smells like a cross between an old gym shoe and Ernest Borgnine's jock strap. ;)

Fish heads and eyeballs?!!!!! :) OMG! I won't kiss her for a week if she does that.

You think the fish heads smell bad, wait'll you get a load of the Stinky Dofu!!! :o ;)

While you are in China, give it a try. The sell it on most streets. Comes on a stick. Yikes.....really nastly stuff! Smells like a cross between an old gym shoe and Ernest Borgnine's jock strap. ;)

Don't do it, that is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEvil advice, Stinky Dofu comes from the pits of hell to make us all suffer (an not get laid) But really Mick is right it is by and far the worst smelling thing I have ever seen people put in their mouth.

Oh, I bet that pickled fish just smells delightful - meow, meow.  Does Li insist on buying the fish heads and making soup out of them the way my Ping does?  I got to admit that the soup from those salmon heads does taste good but it is just so weird to me the way she wants those fish heads more than anything else at the huge fish department in the biggest market in Atlanta, the DeKalb County Farmer's Market.  It is hilarious to watch her put the part with the eyeballs in her mouth.  She has taught me not to be afraid of fish bones and to just manipulate them around in my mouth and spit them out the way Chinese people do.  She is so proud of me for this.  Next time she wants to buy salmon heads I will go along with that okay, but I'm not going to let her buy any more catfish heads.  Yuck!  She wanted them because they have "so much good skin."

TOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much!!!!! :) :o

Out at the crack of dawn this morning for a "country ham biscuit". A few days ago it was a gravy biscuit. Is this lady becoming a true southern woman or what? :o

M

Not exactly sure where Vance is???

We actually live in Ardmore, Tennessee but it is a town that straddles the border, about twenty miles north of Huntsville. There are several Asian markets in Huntsville, but most are Korean. The one Chinese market is called something like "Far East Market and Gifts". It is located on South Memorial Parkway ( I think the address is 8108B or close to that). It is located between Byrd Springs Road and Logan Road on the west side of Memorial Parkway. Got to look close for it or you'll miss it. We just got back from there with a load of stuff. Be advised this place is closed on Monday and doesn't open until noon on Thursday.

It may be a bit of a hike but your best bet is just south of Nashville. Don't know the name of the place but it is easy to get to. Go north on I-65 to the Harding Place Exit (maybe that is exit 79 ;) ). Head east on Harding to Nolensville Pike (that is an approximation of the name but its close). Take a right and the market is about a quarter mile on the right. You can't miss it. If your lady is looking for authentic Chinese stuff, this is the place to go. It is quite large and has a huge selection. Li goes crazy in there and we always come back with a trunk full of stuff. It may be a hike from Vance though. ;)

For us, it is only about 70 miles. Worth the drive though.

Glad to see someone else from Dixie. Several folks on the board are from Alabama and Tennessee.

Vance is located between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.. Birmingham is about 38 miles north Tuscaloosa 16 miles south.. Actually just moved here back in March Job relo..But was living in AZ and FL. before that so use to being in the south NO SNOW!!! :)