Blue Slip- 221(g)

Before I get into the description of our experience at GUZ, let me first say how appreciative I am, to all of the members at CFL that helped guide us over the last few months. I started out at VJ, eventually found my way here, and without the support and help from the members of these two fine sites, Rachel and I would never have gotten this far.

This process is HARD! It's complex! It's nerve-wracking! It's emotionally, and sometimes financially, draining! Yet, I knew that it could be done. And, one step at a time, you all have helped us through it.

THANK YOU!!!

Well, it's not what we had hoped for, but we feel confident in the eventual outcome. It does, however, throw a monkey wrench into our long range planning. Even though we had planned for Rachel and Jenny to come to the US after Chinese New Year, the buying of plane tickets, shipping possessions, divesting the business, etc., will have to wait a little while longer. It's not a disaster, but the emotional drain continues...

So, this is what our 221(g) requirement is:

Photos of the principal applicant with his or her child (or children) from infancy until now. Identify all persons appearing in the photo as well as the time and location where it was taken.

I kick myself in the butt, and take full responsibility, for this oversight. I focused SO MUCH on the relationship and financial documentation, that I completely blew this one. Rachel took a photo album to the interview, and it would have been so easy to include these pictures! Arrggghhhh!!!!

Here's what happened, last week:

We got into Guangzhou last Sunday evening. Took the bus (highly recommended) from the airport to Citic Plaza, where we were met by our contact from the Concordia. I had planned to stay at the Yang's, but Rachel got concerned (she read, or heard something, I don't know) at the last minute, so we switched. It was a fine place to stay, and the owners were very nice and helpful.

Monday morning I had an appointment for ACS, and got some documents notarized. (Is there anyone else here, that thinks like I do, that the Consulate is like a frickin' three ring circus?) In the afternoon, I went back for ACH, and had a nice chat with a VO. Unfortunately, any issues with photos never came up. I met a clueless guy from Boston, that was there to ask some general visa questions, and I gave him the address for CFL and VJ. I hope that he checked them out and gets help. (Are you reading this, Gary? Sorry about the 'clueless' remark!)

Tuesday was the interview, and we got into line at about 7:30 am. (the circus feeling intensifies) I stayed with the girls until the last checkpoint going up to the 4th floor, then kissed them both, and watched them take the escalator.

I walked back to the hotel, checked email, and made a couple of posts here, but I could only withstand about 45 minutes of pacing in the room. I walked back to the 7-11, next to Police Station, got a drink, and plopped down in a chair out front.

At 11 am, Rachel gave me a text message, asking where I was. Before I could reply, we saw each other, and I ran down to meet them. As I approached, Rachel pulled out the Blue Paper, and my heart sank! We immediately walked back to the hotel, while Rachel described to me what had happened inside:

They went through all of the up-front processing, without a hitch. As they were waiting for their number to be called, Rachel noticed that almost all interviewees were leaving with Blue papers. The number is called, and they go to a window with a young American man.

Rachel: Good morning

vo: Good morning. You speak english?

R: Yes, I do.

vo: Good. When did you meet your Fiancee?

R: In September of 2004.

vo: Oh, he was married then, right?

R: Yes. We met at the place I was working at then. He was a customer.

vo: What job was that?

R: xxxx xxx

vo: He worked at xxxx xxx?! (confusion)

R: No No. He worked at xxxxx xxxxx. He worked in Suzhou for more than 4 years.

vo: What was his job there?

R: xxxxx. But he left 1 year ago.

vo: What job does he have now?

R: Same job, but in the US. The company name has changed.

vo: Did you bring pictures today?

R: Yes. (gives him our photo album)

vo: (looking through the album) Do you have pictures of you and your daughter, when she was a baby?

R: Yes, but I don't have them with me.

vo: (takes a blue sheet) You are fine, your fiancee is fine, but you need to send photos of you and your daughter, when she was a baby.

R: (takes the paper) Thank you.

And that, was that. I am so proud of Rachel, taking the entire interview in English! Ta fei chang cong ming! I'm proud of Jenny too, but they didn't ask her a single question!

As soon as we got back to the hotel, we called the airline and changed our flights for that afternoon, and quickly packed and departed. On high hopes, we had scheduled to stay in Guangzhou until Friday, to wait for the passports to be delivered, and sightsee. After getting the Blue Slip, we didn't have the heart for sightseeing, and we had work to do, in Suzhou.

We arrived back home on tuesday evening, and got right to work, pulling out pictures, scanning them, and putting 15 of them into photo sleeves. We mailed the packet to Guangzhou on wednesday afternoon, by EMS. The packet was delivered on Thursday. Now, we wait!

All in all, I think it went pretty well. Although we didn't get the pink, we are able to provide them with exactly what they want. On a side note, my sister works for the DOS Foreign Service, and although it's been a few years since she was a Consular Officer, she feels that we've done well, and this will be easy for us to overcome and be approved. Just the same, we'll feel much relief when Rachel goes back to Guangzhou and gets the visa's.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Kris, but I agree that you should be able to overcome this with ease. I'm only sorry of the inconvenience this puts on your plans and the added expense it may cause. The tone of your post is upbeat; I'm glad to see that. You'll get there! Thanks for taking the time to update all of us.

We had a similar problem but it took a long time to get the pink. Stay on them but not too much. Do the homework quickly and keep copies of what you send, including receipts from the mail delivery system. That saved us.

Be patient, keep in touch with each other (I know you will) and have faith.

It's worth it. We are so happy now, despite a few problems that are obvious to any person coming to the US.

You'll do it. ;)

Sorry to hear about this glitch---

But glad that it seems to have an easy remedy.

There does seem to be something lurking at GZ that is new. As we all know, they change procedures from time to time, so as not to become predictable for scammers.

Having good photo documentation of the relationship is essential (including dates, locations, individuals, and even useful to keep receipts to confirm the photo content---ie, from the restaurant if it was a group meal.

But requiring photo documentation of the child's early relationship with the mother indicates to me that one of the areas of increased enforcement is of scammers obtaining visas for children posing as the sons and daughters of the SO.

Perhaps all who have a SO intending to bring children should anticipate even more rigorous enforcement in this respect, and arm themselves with school records, (class pictures) medical files etc.

As everyone else says, I'm sure you'll have an easy-speedy overcome, but I totally know your feelings right now... I had the same sunken-heart feeling when my Sweetie pulled out the blue form at the Consulate Coffee shop... we were both so hopeful! But it looks like things are pulling through, we're waiting to receive the call-in letter any day now!

Congrats and good luck! Be sure to let us all know when you get your call-in letter! :P

As yan and I are trying to petition her son (age 16) this is something new to deal with. Thanks for the heads up.

Makes you wonder if an automatic DNA test will be required in the future for any child in this position.

YOU HIT THE NAIL SQUARE ON THE HEAD

we were ask for baby pictures after getting a blue we sent them in and the next week we got the letter for a dna test.

now here is what is really stupid to me you have to contact a USA dna lab on the embassy's list and pay $545.00 for the test plus $90.00

to send 2 QTIPS round trip to the embassy by fedex. you go to the embassy and pay them $14.00 each for them to stick the QTIP in your mouth and send it back to usa lab then 2 weeks later the lab will send results back to embassy another $45.00 fedex charge then they will contact you this whole process

takes 4 months and the only hold up any where as always is the embassy. It sure looks to me the embassy could find 58 cents to buy 500 QTIPS instead of costing you $90.00 for 2 of them.

like they always say

YOUR TAX DOLLARS HARD AT WORK FOR YOU

Edited by okie2 (see edit history)