Why I Think More People Are Shooting People

A Mafan

Social Isolation:

A widely-reported 2006 study argued that since 1985 Americans have become more socially isolated, the size of their discussion networks has declined, and the diversity of those people with whom they discuss important matters has decreased. In particular, the study found that Americans have fewer close ties to those from their neighborhoods and from voluntary associations.

In my opinion, people who feel like a faceless number, like no one notices them or cares, are more likely to act in heinous, anti-social ways.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tony n Terrific

Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.

A. Repeated acts that could lead to arrest.

B. Conning for pleasure or profit, repeated lying, or the use of aliases.

C. Failure to plan ahead or being impulsive.

D. Repeated assaults on others.

E. Reckless when it comes to their or others safety.

F. Poor work behavior or failure to honor financial obligations.

G. Rationalizing the pain they inflict on others.

Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.

A. Repeated acts that could lead to arrest.

B. Conning for pleasure or profit, repeated lying, or the use of aliases.

C. Failure to plan ahead or being impulsive.

D. Repeated assaults on others.

E. Reckless when it comes to their or others safety.

F. Poor work behavior or failure to honor financial obligations.

G. Rationalizing the pain they inflict on others.

http://psyweb.com/Mdisord/jsp/anpd.jsp

Social Isolation:

A widely-reported 2006 study argued that since 1985 Americans have become more socially isolated, the size of their discussion networks has declined, and the diversity of those people with whom they discuss important matters has decreased. In particular, the study found that Americans have fewer close ties to those from their neighborhoods and from voluntary associations.

In my opinion, people who feel like a faceless number, like no one notices them or cares, are more likely to act in heinous, anti-social ways.

Interesting topic. Over their first dinner here, Lisa's mom and dad mentioned one thing they noticed about America is that people here seem to be more socially isolated than in China.

Social Isolation:

IMO, the reason for this is the many diverse cultures we have here. Each culture is afraid of the other and stays to themselves.

I remember a rather large antisocial group back in the 60's and 70's called the hippie generation. I don't recall many mass shootings back then.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

All of the shootings happen in gun-free zones.

Someone with intent to murder as many people as possible apparently tends to avoid places where there might be people with concealed weapons who could stop them before they get very far.

I got back from the Big Puddle a mess. Like most with PTSD, I was told the concern was that I would turn inward rather outward. In other words the likelihood of me being a mass murderer (a common thread among those who know little) was not very high. The likelihood of suicide was high.

Of course, they know so little about it anyway despite the TV episodes. I was a counselor myself for about two years and handled PTSD as well as some violent murderers. A statistic from those times: the "helping" careers, dentists, doctors, counselors, mental health professionals had the highest suicides of any other profession. And suicides rarely kill others in the process unless it is so-called "police assisted" which this appears to be since he lived. He could not resolve the soldier in him.

I myself had to get out of counseling. The job is not as easy as it appears. We had weekly therapy sessions amongst ourselves just to maintain.

Talk therapy actually works. But it has to be with someone who has seen what you have. For him, maybe another Muslim in a professional capacity.

I don't think there is any predicting why this guy went ballistic. I know that violence in the background is a major factor. He came from Palestine. And had unresolvable ego issues. Also, there is no "straw." There is probably not one single incident that set him off. He had been thinking about it for some time.

His family said he wanted out of the military and they would not let him go. His inner ego got the best of him.

He obviously did not seek his own counsel to get professional help.

Very sad to think that guys fought hard and felt lucky to come back alive to get wasted by a self-serving cuckoo head.

Social Isolation:

IMO, the reason for this is the many diverse cultures we have here. Each culture is afraid of the other and stays to themselves.

I remember a rather large antisocial group back in the 60's and 70's called the hippie generation. I don't recall many mass shootings back then.

They were all stoned and living on love. No need for guns.

Also, I think they were more "counterculture" than "antisocial".

They were plenty social among themselves, they were not disconnected from other people the way folks are today.

Social Isolation:

They were all stoned and living on love. No need for guns.

:P

Someone with intent to murder as many people as possible apparently tends to avoid places where there might be people with concealed weapons who could stop them before they get very far.

never really considered a Army base as a gun free zone

It might not be in other nations.

But in the US, all military weapons are locked in armories unless taken out to a range under closely watched/guarded conditions. Ammunition is, if anything, even more closely guarded.

You are instructed to place all privately-owned weapons in the armory immediately upon entering the base, as well.

The US military is often considered to be, and treated as, a social laboratory for progressives, and political correctness runs amok. Of course military bases are gun-free zones (except for the military equivalent to civilian police).

It might not be in other nations.

But in the US, all military weapons are locked in armories unless taken out to a range under closely watched/guarded conditions. Ammunition is, if anything, even more closely guarded.

You are instructed to place all privately-owned weapons in the armory immediately upon entering the base, as well.

The US military is often considered to be, and treated as, a social laboratory for progressives, and political correctness runs amok. Of course military bases are gun-free zones (except for the military equivalent to civilian police).

so they missed his gun on entry to the base ?

OK i might be naive, yes I know the policy but I also know that weapons and ammo roam freely, especially at time of war.

A Mafan is right. A military base especially, except one in a forward area is guns free.

But they don't check you going through the gate. Just your ID or badge on your vehicle, give a salute if you're an officer and wave you through.

Going through on the bus, with other civilians, yes, they will even search you.

On a high alert base where rapid strike elements are there, the restrictions are even higher.

Have to say though, to get 100 rounds off in such a short time and still being able to say "Allahu akbar" the whole time meant he would have made a decent soldier.

He had to have been carrying some fast loads for that revolver.