Baggage limits/overage fees to China

Well, the time has come. My wife is leaving me for 6 months. I really have mixed emotions about this: part of me is saying YIPPEE! I can smoke cigars in the house again biggrin.gif ; the other part of me is really blue sad.gif .

Anyway...it's a done deal.

Here's what I found on the Delta site about baggage:

Checked Baggage—International
Currently when traveling to or from most cities outside the United States you can check two bags, per passenger at no extra charge.
You can refer to the chart below for exceptions to the checked baggage policy.
If you have additional bags to check, you may be charged excess baggage fees.
Each bag must:
· Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less.
· Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length + width + height.

From the chart…..

The Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia – Economy Class: 2 checked bags.
Each bag at a maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

My reading comprehension is challenged by most Airline regulation fine print. What I took that to mean is that my wife gets to take 2 bags of properly sized, checked luggage weighing up to 50 pounds each at no additional charge.

Do I need to return to remedial reading school or did I properly understand it?

tongue.gif

Keep in mind if she needs to travel domestically in China the limit there may be 40 pounds, so internationally she may be fine, however when re-checking bags in China she may be hit with an over weight fee.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=518752

China southern for one is 20 kilos, or 44 pounds.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Keep in mind if she needs to travel domestically in China the limit there may be 40 pounds, so internationally she may be fine, however when re-checking bags in China she may be hit with an over weight fee.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=518752

China southern for one is 20 kilos, or 44 pounds.

This depends on whether she's checked through to her final destination. If she buys a separate domestic ticket, then the domestic limits apply.

Jiaying's Chinatown travel agent hit her that way - she had booked two separate flights. Continental even "offered" to ship her bags to Beijing for only $250 (she was going to Guangzhou). The flight to LA was one trip, the flight to Guangzhou was another, with fees making up the difference for the agent's "low" fare.

The manager's supervisor came along and straightened that out.

I guess it's possible, but we've never had a problem with this. We go back and forth every year always packing for international travel limits. The US or PRC has never given us any grief over it.

Yup, 50 pounds is all we could bring. I remember the good ol' days when we could pack 70.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I guess it's possible, but we've never had a problem with this. We go back and forth every year always packing for international travel limits. The US or PRC has never given us any grief over it.

Yup, 50 pounds is all we could bring. I remember the good ol' days when we could pack 70.

International limits apply, unless your flights are booked separately

When we left Liuzhou in June "09" they were going to charge us for the weight difference, but when they realized we were flying International, they didn't charge us for the overage. We packed for the 44 pound limit, when we left GUZ to go to Liuzhou, so we didn't have to worry. We didn't buy our tickets from GUZ to Liuzhou until we got the "VISA", so they were domestic tickets. I am thinking that if you tell them you are flying international, they will let you pass with the 50lbs. Mike & Yizhen

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)