Heading back to China

Well I purchased my tickets today to spend Christmas in China.. I did not get my usual American Airlines ticket with upgrade to business for 50K flyer miles the flight was booked even the coach class so had to settle for Delta coach with a possibilty for up grade with miles, I am leaving on Dec. 13 and returning on Jan4. This is my fourth time to China in under two years. My fiance' and I have known each other for two years come January 04.

I am going the old standard route Via Narita and on to Shanghai.. In all the times I have been there have not been to the Wall so am going this time to see it all along with the perfect guide and interpretur..the wall, forbidden city, tienamen square, summer palace,mings tomb and on to Xian to see the terra cotta soldiers.. Then back to her home town Zhoushan via Shanghai (I really enjoy Shanghai,, and she has been spoiled by the Holiday Inn Pudong) to chill for the balance of time..maybe she will get the P3 while I am there,,,, wishful thinking..

Mike :D

Hi Mike,

I'm new to this site and wanted to say Hi. My lovely lady, Chang, is in Shanghai and I have been there 3 times in past 7 months. If you would like a reference on some great hotels there let me know, also a website for booking rooms at really good rates.

I wish I knew the time frame from P3 to P4 so I can decide if I can schedule another visit. I would like to see her during their Lunar new year celebration if we still have many more months to wait for the interview. From others time lines it appears at least 4 more months, at least we're still gaining on it, but I just don't know what would be wisest, wait for one more big trip or two trips possibly close together.

Anyhow, have a great time with your lady, and wish you two have good news from Guangzhou soon.

Pat

Have a nice trip, I have been to Shanghai three time in a little over a year.

Went up to Beijing September 02. Went everywhere you are planning to go. One suggestion when you go to the wall, hire a private car not from the hotel. When you go to the Summer Palace, Forbidden City, there will be plenty of people willing to take you to places like Badalin.

The hotel was charging over 1000 rmb for a trip to the wall for the day. You went in a cramped bus with about 40 people. We hired a private taxi for the whole day, picked up up at 8 am dropped us off at 10 pm. 200 rmb for the day. She took us everywhere at our own pace so we were never rushed like the buses were.

Have a great time, have her book the tickets to Beijing in Shanghai, if possible..

One suggestion when you go to the wall hire a private car not from the hotel.  When you go to the Summer Palace Forbidden City there will be plenty of people willing to take you to places like Badalin.

We hired a private taxi for the whole day, picked up up at 8 am dropped us off at 10 pm.  200 rmb for the day.  She took us everywhere at our own pace so we were never rushed like the buses were.

Couldn't agree with you more. and, you'll avoid the side trips on the way there and back, aka "we want your yankee dollar".

Our driver offered to take us to these places, and we know he just lost a small commission when we politefully declined. We did gave him a tip to compensate, though, and his side commentary, in English, was well worth the extra cost.

Hi Mike,

I'm new to this site and wanted to say Hi. My lovely lady, Chang, is in Shanghai and I have been there 3 times in past 7 months. If you would like a reference on some great hotels there let me know, also a website for booking rooms at really good rates.

I wish I knew the time frame from P3 to P4 so I can decide if I can schedule another visit. I would like to see her during their Lunar new year celebration if we still have many more months to wait for the interview. From others time lines it appears at least 4 more months, at least we're still gaining on it, but I just don't know what would be wisest, wait for one more big trip or two trips possibly close together.

Anyhow, have a great time with your lady, and wish you two have good news from Guangzhou soon.

Pat

Ok thanks I have been there this I think is my 4th time..We really enjoyed the Holiday Inn Pudong a little pricey by Chinese standards at $85 us/night but I feel very worth it. They have a western sports bar(acually 6 restaurants) there My fiance had never seen anything like it and absolutely enjoyed it.. The place is called Flannigans, Just there for 3 days then onto the Crowne Plaza In Beijing I spend alot of time in the 6 continent hotel chain and enjoy the priority Club points for free rooms..

I have tried to stop out guessing the US Government because if you do not you get dissapointed to many times I try to apply lots of lee-way to the time situation..but I am confident that this will be my last trip to China for awhile as I think she will be here the begining of next year..

I hired a professional Visa company to get me through this and they have been doing this for over 20 years Getting through BCIS and NVC without a hitch or re-call is testimony to their knowledge.

Welcome to the board..

Mike

Have a nice trip, I have been to Shanghai three time in a little over a year.

Went up to Beijing September 02.  Went everywhere you are planning to go.  One suggestion when you go to the wall, hire a private car not from the hotel.  When you go to the Summer Palace, Forbidden City, there will be plenty of people willing to take you to places like Badalin.

The hotel was charging over 1000 rmb for a trip to the wall for the day.  You went in a cramped bus with about 40 people. We hired a private taxi for the whole day, picked up up at 8 am dropped us off at 10 pm.  200 rmb for the day.  She took us everywhere at our own pace so we were never rushed like the buses were.

Have a great time, have her book the tickets to Beijing in Shanghai, if possible..

Oh boy thanks for the insight She is not from that part of the country so I bet she does not know this. She is from Zhoushan an Island group off the coast of China 100 miles south east of Shanghai about 20 miles directly east of Ningbo an archipeligo of 1400 islands about 1million live on Zhoushan largest fishing canneries in the world so If you go there you have to like Shrimp, lobster,crab and fresh fish in general (I know why she looks so healthy). Anyway thanks for the insight to being way-laid we will certainly hire a taxi to get us around..I am a crazy drivers but have not mustered the guts as to what to do when you have an accident in China with another driver I DO NOT EVEN WHAT TO THINK ABOUT IT. Thats the reason i don't drive there..besides at 10 to 12 RMB how can you not let them drive.

M

Mike,

Looks like we'll be in Beijing at the same time. I'll be arriving Dec13 on United. This, however, will be my first time in China. ShuPing will meet me there and we plan to sight see 3 or 4 days before heading north (brrrrr) to QiQiHar to get married.

It would be nice to see another American face while I'm there. Let me know if you'd like to get together. I don't know where I'll be staying, I haven't made any reservations for a hotel yet, but plan to do so soon. (If anyone has any recommendations....)

Take Care,

Mark

Mike,

Looks like we'll be in Beijing at the same time.  I'll be arriving Dec13 on United.  This, however, will be my first time in China.  ShuPing will meet me there and we plan to sight see 3 or 4 days before heading north (brrrrr) to QiQiHar to get married.

It would be nice to see another American face while I'm there.  Let me know if you'd like to get together.  I don't know where I'll be staying, I haven't made any reservations for a hotel yet, but plan to do so soon.  (If anyone has any recommendations....)

Take Care,

Mark

well my friend you will be in for a great awakening.. It is nothing like you have seen before..you will be amazed!!! If you are worried about getting around before your loved one is with you it is so simple unless of course you are fluent in Chinese is bring the phone numbers of where you want to go every Chinese and Chinese cab driver have cell phones just hand them the number and show them to call and you are on your way.. We tend to over complecate things in the U.S. sometime simple is better.

I plan on being in Beiging on the 17 through the 21 and then head to Xian..Does this fit in to your plans.?? As far as hotels go I go right to the Six Continent site ie Holiday Inn and by obtaining 21 day advance purchase you can get some pretty good deals although your loved one maybe able to negotiate a better one over the phone.. But at that site you will find rooms at 4 stars starting at about $40 per night Holiday Inn...Intercontinental/Crowne plaza etc If I remember they have about 6 in Beiging and the pricing seem very competative much better then Shanghai

M

M

Hi Mike,

Since I'll be arriving the evening of the 13th, we should still be in Beijing on the 17th, let's get together.

I take it you plan to stay at the 6 Continent?  I'll look into booking a room there.  I'll let you know when I do.

OK I am planning on leaving from Shanghai on the morning of the 17th Wednesday.. By train Jing my fiance' has informend me that it takes about 8 hours by train to get there so should be there somtime in the afternon/ evening. I will make my reservations form Shanghai for the Crowne Plaza and I do believe it will be the Crowne Plaza looks like its best for location..here is the web site. I will be at the Holiday In PuDong on the 14th Sunday night thru Wednesday morning the 17th..

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com

Forgot there is more then one Crowne Plaza the one I am staying at is on 48 Wangfuging Ave

M :lol: :D