Taking large quantities of DRUGS to China....

Dave... I'm sorry this disturbs you so.

But, everything is true - I'm trying to find out if this will present a problem for us.

I have e-mailed and called about every agency both on US soil as well as China soil - trying to find out what to expect if we do this.

I'd like to know what YOU would do if your wife wanted to do something similar to this??? You're telling me that you would tell her: Sorry dear - I won't help you do this... or allow you to do it either? Bull shit... you would do everything in your power to please her. If you didn't - you're a shitty husband.

I'm not going to tell her "no"... you try and buy it in China. I trust her when she says it is not available for sale where she lives. I will do whatever it takes to please her - because pleasing her (and her family) gives me great joy!

You go ahead and be a grumpy old fart. If this topic bothers you so much - please refrain from reading it.

I have (same as you) been a member here for many years - and I have the same right as anybody else... to ask questions - and expect some sort of respect from other members in their reply. Again - if it bothers you so much - then stop reading this thread.

If you read through this thread - there have been some people who have taken my question seriously and have given some very good answers and feedback. Your post was one of the few that just assume that I am crazy or have other some other motives for asking such a "crazy" or "off the wall" question. Sorry to disappoint you - but it is all just as it says - a question to help me prepare for what may happen through the many stages of the travel process if we take a large package of food stuff used in cooking.

Scott

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it can be bought at any store in the US, like you mentioned above, I'd bet you can find it in China - you guys might not know where to look.

As Randy asked, what's the name of it? Perhaps we can help you find it.

Scott - what about the idea of finding a seasoning that you can add to plain old, available-in-China flour?

This I have seriously considered..... but I don't have time now to try and find the right spices to make it taste like the stuff she buys and likes.

She wants to have this for some huge dinner party we are having the first few days we are there.... just no time to experiment and test spices.

Plus she is planning on giving all of her family members about 5 lbs each.

But maybe for next time...........

Edited by m-coon (see edit history)

If it can be bought at any store in the US, like you mentioned above, I'd bet you can find it in China - you guys might not know where to look.

As Randy asked, what's the name of it? Perhaps we can help you find it.

Every major food store has it own brand. I have seen dozens of brands of this stuff - and it all tastes about the same.

What makes this even worse... if it can be worse - is that she also has bought and packed about 25 to 30 bottles of over the counter medicines and vitamins, etc.

And... She has bought and packed almost $1000 worth of Ginseng!!!

Customs is going to have a field day with us!!!!!

I guess I will have to have more than one customs declaration forms....... ha ha

Scott

What makes this even worse... if it can be worse - is that she also has bought and packed about 25 to 30 bottles of over the counter medicines and vitamins, etc.

And... She has bought and packed almost $1000 worth of Ginseng!!!

Customs is going to have a field day with us!!!!!

I guess I will have to have more than one customs declaration forms....... ha ha

Scott

Wow! Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I've never had any problems with PRC Customs and I've taken lots of meds and foods in-country. No problem as long as it's in your checked luggage. :huh:

You mean as long as they don't look, right? A 40 lb. bag of flour is a little hard to sneak by.

I've never had any problems with PRC Customs and I've taken lots of meds and foods in-country. No problem as long as it's in your checked luggage. :huh:

You mean as long as they don't look, right? A 40 lb. bag of flour is a little hard to sneak by.

It's within the ¡Ù18kg. limit, no metal...nobody's going to look, not even the drug dawgz...

I've taken my Tai Tai instant foods, chocolates, brown rice, coffee beans, peanut butter, Kalua, Southern Comfort, Bailey's and lots of Cuban Rum...no problems.

Edited by Zhou Zhou (see edit history)

I've never had any problems with PRC Customs and I've taken lots of meds and foods in-country. No problem as long as it's in your checked luggage. :unsure:

It's within the ¡Ù18kg. limit, no metal...nobody's going to look, not even the drug dawgz...

I've taken my Tai Tai instant foods, chocolates, brown rice, coffee beans, peanut butter, Kalua, Southern Comfort, Bailey's and lots of Cuban Rum...no problems.

Sorry, guy! But metal IS allowed

It's nice to be able to smuggle drugs, but I wouldn't recommend it!

The 18kg is an airline limitation and has nothing to do with customs - anyone's bags can be subject to an customs inspection.

I've never had any problems with PRC Customs and I've taken lots of meds and foods in-country. No problem as long as it's in your checked luggage. :unsure:

The 18kg is an airline limitation and has nothing to do with customs - anyone's bags can be subject to an customs inspection.

Plez, don't be so silly...how many times has customs inspected you in the PRC?

I'm 0 for 16........

I'm 0 for 16........

Like I said, it must be nice to be able to smuggle drugs - the rest of us use a little discretion.

A 40 lb bag of flour can hardly be called discrete. He can either declare it or not - neither way is likely to cause him a whole lot of grief.

I've never had any problems with PRC Customs and I've taken lots of meds and foods in-country. No problem as long as it's in your checked luggage. :lol:

I'm 0 for 16........

Like I said, it must be nice to be able to smuggle drugs - the rest of us use a little discretion.

A 40 lb bag of flour can hardly be called discrete. He can either declare it or not - neither way is likely to cause him a whole lot of grief.

I intend to declare everything - but I'm not sure THE QUANTITY i'm going to list........ I'm still waiting to hear about the call my wife made to Guangzhou customs...... I was asleep when she called - I'll find out tomorrow.

Randy - WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY GRIEF???? Do you think this may cause me such serious problems that I wish I hadn't tried? I figured the worse they will do is compensate the flour. If I claim it and explain what it is and why I'm taking it - what can they do to me??? It is a LEGAL food item after all........

Scott

He can either declare it or not - neither way is likely to cause him a whole lot of grief.

I'm reading this as him stating that "this is kind of a minor thing"

I tend to agree with that. You're not going to get thrown in a Chinese prison for flour and ginseng. You've already stated that you've considered what they might do "confiscate the flour." or perhaps pay a duty - I can't see any other outlook happening. You're not going to be arrested for bringing large quantities of flour across the border :lol:

Most of the people here stated that they haven't had any issues going through customs.

I've done the exact same thing. So has my wife. Her baggage was inspected at customs - mine wasn't. The guy quickly went through her luggage looking at all of her food products from the States, as well as various medicines. No problem. One of her checked bags contained only food and medicinal products.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)