? Chongqing rent ?

My Fiancee lives in Chongqing. She ask for $ for 6 month rent of her apartment due soon :o . She has worked 10 years at same job, low pay. I send her $200 or so each month, that last a couple of days.. What bothers me is :( , before she said she paid rent by the month. I have told her, and showed documents to back it up, that my income is low, I am retired, age 61. My house and everything else I have is total paid for, so no big income has been necessary :lol: . A couple of her friends have well off boyfriends :P that send $500 each month. She seems to have that, "money will burn a hole in your pocket outlook". :ph34r: ..Anyway, anyone know that if it is necessary to pay rent by a 6 month lump in Chongqing? :lol: Thanks, Bob,

My SO lives in Chongqing, I pay her rent 3 months at a time. Well actually she pays it, she has joint account with me she can just draw money out of my accounts when she needs rent, power etc.

Not uncommon for 3 month or 6 month or even 1 year at a time in Chongqing. When we were looking at apartments I don't remember a single one we looked at that was on a once a month schedule.

My SO lives in Chongqing, I pay her rent 3 months at a time. Well actually she pays it, she has joint account with me she can just draw money out of my accounts when she needs rent, power etc.

Not uncommon for 3 month or 6 month or even 1 year at a time in Chongqing. When we were looking at apartments I don't remember a single one we looked at that was on a once a month schedule.

Really? Okay, take back what I said then since I'm on the east coast and they seem to do things differently here. In Shanghai and Zhejiang areas we collect month to month. This is quite interesting, I just assumed it was that way everywhere.

Edited by squirty (see edit history)

Really? Okay, take back what I said then since I'm on the east coast and they seem to do things differently here.

It is very common in all of China to have to pay the entire rent up front. Usually it is for 1 year. It was very hard for us to find an apartment that only required 6 month lease.

We do this is as well and we live in Hubei. It's a common practice

Practice also varies from landlord to landlord. Just in Beijing I've stayed in places where you had to pay rent several months in advance and others that went on a continuing, whenever-the-landlady-had-time-and-wanted-to-come-by basis.

It seems more important that you don't really trust her than it does to resolve this specific question about rent. I hope it ends up that you were just being paranoid.

Practice also varies from landlord to landlord. Just in Beijing I've stayed in places where you had to pay rent several months in advance and others that went on a continuing, whenever-the-landlady-had-time-and-wanted-to-come-by basis.

It seems more important that you don't really trust her than it does to resolve this specific question about rent. I hope it ends up that you were just being paranoid.

I guess I am being paranoid. Trust has to be earned, and that is a slow process with me. What bothers me is, she works, same job 10 years,and I send her money, but she has not prepared to pay the rent in a place she has lived 10 years. I still have 1 rental unit here, and had a few more in Ohio, until recently, so I have heard very many excuses about late rent. This, not prepared to pay, shows me a non responsible person. I have money set aside for 1 more trip to Chongqing, at or before interview time, so $ not the problem, just the irresponsible attitude. I hope that my sending money has not triggered a buy,,buy,,buy attitude, much like giving beer to an acoholic, or giving a deck of cards to a gambler. Thanks everyong for the good information. Bob :(

When my wife lived in ChongQing she lived with her parents so did not have need for rent. I offered her money several times to buy stuff even sent her a bank card if she needed some money, even when she was in need she would not take money from me. So I would ask how your woman manged before you came along. She needs to understand your on a fixed income so to say and can not be paying for her to keep up with the jones. If she can not handle that then find a woman that can. I know it sounds a little cold but it won't get better when she gets to the US and realizes the streets are not paved with gold and life here is not all shopping and parties. Love may be blind but trust is earned.

My wife has an apartment in Chongqing,pays rent by the year,in fact will be due in March.Its not very much,i think its 3000 yuan for the whole year.

jimi

When my wife lived in ChongQing she lived with her parents so did not have need for rent. I offered her money several times to buy stuff even sent her a bank card if she needed some money, even when she was in need she would not take money from me. So I would ask how your woman manged before you came along. She needs to understand your on a fixed income so to say and can not be paying for her to keep up with the jones. If she can not handle that then find a woman that can. I know it sounds a little cold but it won't get better when she gets to the US and realizes the streets are not paved with gold and life here is not all shopping and parties. Love may be blind but trust is earned.

Se_lang,,,,,My Fiancee seemed to manage ok before I started sending money, and her friends now have boyfriends sending more money than I. I believe she has a bit of "peer pressure", going on. I often tell her that I always think "Visa first", and try to get her to think Visa first. I ask her why she would want to buy so much stuff, that she can not bring here. Her answer was, she did not think of that. Even though my income is low, everything I own is paid for. I worked 30 years at the same job, and prepared for retirement. I believe things will get better, once she is here away from the peer pressure, but then again I have 2 shoppa=holic Sister.

My wife has an apartment in Chongqing,pays rent by the year,in fact will be due in March.Its not very much,i think its 3000 yuan for the whole year.

jimi

Yes the rent is not very much. My Fiancee has always paid by 6 month terms, I believe. My principle point is ,that she did not "prepare" for the rent coming due very soon, thinking that this wealthy American will pay for the rent, which I will.

jimi

Yes the rent is not very much. My Fiancee has always paid by 6 month terms, I believe. My principle point is ,that she did not "prepare" for the rent coming due very soon, thinking that this wealthy American will pay for the rent, which I will.

Now you see, she's already acting as if y'all are married. :angry:

jimi

Now you see, she's already acting as if y'all are married. :surrender:

Yes, now she is behaving like we are married. Sometimes she acts as if she was a " Blond in her past Life", but I think this is an ACT. She has had a difficult life, and I know I have to earn her trust, as she is earning mine. I know her coming to a strange land, and leaving all she has went through all of her life, is not easy. That takes a strong will. along with much faith, and trust.

jimi

Now you see, she's already acting as if y'all are married. :D

Yes, now she is behaving like we are married. Sometimes she acts as if she was a " Blond in her past Life", but I think this is an ACT. She has had a difficult life, and I know I have to earn her trust, as she is earning mine. I know her coming to a strange land, and leaving all she has went through all of her life, is not easy. That takes a strong will. along with much faith, and trust.

One other thing I have learned, my wife thought/thinks that all USA men are loose with their money. She used to tell me she needed money for rent then I sent it to her. To my surprise, she had saved most all of it. :surrender: When I asked her why she did this she replied "USA man no understand how keep money." Yes I was tricked but in a pleasant way. :D